Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Thegoodwife

Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Postby Thegoodwife » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi there! I know I have seen a few other spouses on here inquiring into the application process for the RCMP. I am proud to say my hubby is now in his 3rd week at depot (he is loving every moment of it) and man we sure miss him.

I was wondering if anyone else out there in the same situation (or soon to be). It would be nice to hear from you and see how you are coping with your other half being gone! Feel free to PM me as well.

Cheers!
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia
Troop 6! June 11th-Dec 1st

BC_GIRL

Re: Spouses of RCMP members, cadets and applicants

Postby BC_GIRL » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am

Thegoodwife wrote:Hi there! I know I have seen a few other spouses on here inquiring into the application process for the RCMP. I am proud to say my hubby is now in his 3rd week at depot (he is loving every moment of it) and man we sure miss him.

I was wondering if anyone else out there in the same situation (or soon to be). It would be nice to hear from you and see how you are coping with your other half being gone! Feel free to PM me as well.

Cheers!
Glad to hear your hubby is doing well! Hang in there, he'll be home before you know it!
RCMP applicant
May 2013 RPAT
June 2013 Package
July 2013 PARE #1
August 2013 RMSI
October 2013 Poly (passed)
March 2014 Medical
March 2014 PARE #2
March 2014 BGI
May 2014 Final Review
June 2014 SC
Sept 8 TROOP 13

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:43 pm

thanks BC girl!
Good luck to you! Hope you get your call soon!
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia

Rookie Member

Postby 5891 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi,
Wishing you and your husband the best of luck. My husband has been a member for 3 yrs now and we are finishing up our first posting. I remember scouring the forums for every bit of information I could get during his application, while he was at Depot and even now sometimes looking for info regarding transfers, housing etc. I know this might sound a little pessimistic but this advice really is meant to help; learn to live without him as best you can. The truth is with the RCMP you might get lucky and he'll have a post (that he'll hate) but you'll love where he gets to come home for dinner on time and his days off are really his days off. However, chances are, you'll miss him even more knowing you live together but can't spend much time with each other because he is either sleeping, working or very tired; Adjusting to that is key. If you have any usable skill try finding a job, even if it's part-time. If you have young children and stay home, try volunteering, get involved with a church, sport club, anything really. It helps when you don't have to nag them about spending time with you because you're busy doing your own thing. Anyways, hope this helps. Post your questions if you have any and I'll try to answer as best I can. Unless it's really personal post rather than PM so I can share with other wives/common laws who might be reading.

BC_GIRL

Postby BC_GIRL » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 pm

5891 wrote:Hi,
Wishing you and your husband the best of luck. My husband has been a member for 3 yrs now and we are finishing up our first posting. I remember scouring the forums for every bit of information I could get during his application, while he was at Depot and even now sometimes looking for info regarding transfers, housing etc. I know this might sound a little pessimistic but this advice really is meant to help; learn to live without him as best you can. The truth is with the RCMP you might get lucky and he'll have a post (that he'll hate) but you'll love where he gets to come home for dinner on time and his days off are really his days off. However, chances are, you'll miss him even more knowing you live together but can't spend much time with each other because he is either sleeping, working or very tired; Adjusting to that is key. If you have any usable skill try finding a job, even if it's part-time. If you have young children and stay home, try volunteering, get involved with a church, sport club, anything really. It helps when you don't have to nag them about spending time with you because you're busy doing your own thing. Anyways, hope this helps. Post your questions if you have any and I'll try to answer as best I can. Unless it's really personal post rather than PM so I can share with other wives/common laws who might be reading.
I completely agree! The spouse of a police officer takes some getting used to but once you get it figured out, it's a great life! My husband has been a member for almost 15 years and I remember the early days when I'd be waiting for him to come home and upset when he'd have to work birthdays and holidays. Nowadays, things are totally different. We are a close knit family and have completely adjusted to the lifestyle. Your advice is good. Having your own life and being supportive help keep a healthy relationship.
RCMP applicant
May 2013 RPAT
June 2013 Package
July 2013 PARE #1
August 2013 RMSI
October 2013 Poly (passed)
March 2014 Medical
March 2014 PARE #2
March 2014 BGI
May 2014 Final Review
June 2014 SC
Sept 8 TROOP 13

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:51 pm

BC_GIRL wrote:
5891 wrote:Hi,
I completely agree! The spouse of a police officer takes some getting used to but once you get it figured out, it's a great life! My husband has been a member for almost 15 years and I remember the early days when I'd be waiting for him to come home and upset when he'd have to work birthdays and holidays. Nowadays, things are totally different. We are a close knit family and have completely adjusted to the lifestyle. Your advice is good. Having your own life and being supportive help keep a healthy relationship.
Hey thanks for the info you guys. I don't think it's pessimistic at all, your just being realistic and I appreciate that. fortunately my husband and I are familiar with having to work holidays, birthdays etc as I'm an RN and with his previous job he would often be sent out of town on short notices for weeks at a time and have even cancelled our scheduled holidays before. This will help him having a job that he is interested in and hopefully a job that he loves. Fortunately being a RN literally gives me the ability to work anywhere in canada, though we are crossing our fingers that we are able to stay in bc (we are flexible either way and are hoping to move away from our current community) mostly for the fact that I can port my seniority through out the province. If we have to move out of the province than we will manage. When that time comes. I think at this moment my biggest fear is finding daycare/nanny for my 1 yr old son as it can be very difficult finding something that works with shift work, let alone two people on shift work. In the community we live it took me almost a yr to find something that worked with my schedule, and it's really not a long term fix. We also won't have the perks of having parents near by to do the sleep overs for the night shifts ( what I'm doing currently)

My questions for you are:
1. How much time do they give you to get to your first post? How much notice are the Cadets given regarding their first post? I am required by union to give at least 1 month notice unless I stay within the same health authority.
2.i have heard through word of mouth that once designated a post than the detachments often provides families moving to the area with information on housing, daycare ect.. Is this true?
3. Also how much time do you have to find a place once moving to that first post? Do you have time to look or is it something you go into unknown until you can find something permanently... I know I will come up with more questions when I have more time to think about it- thank you so much for posting to this forum, it will be great for you "experienced" ladies to share this information with us newbies! I have talked to a lot of spouses on here and I know we all have questions LOl
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia

zycil27
Veteran Member

Postby zycil27 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 am

1. It varies. Could be a couple days, could be a couple weeks or more, depending on where you're moving to and from and the distance between. Cadets typically are told their posting 6-8 weeks or so before graduation, that also varies based on several factors.

2. Depends on the detachment I think. The recruit will be encouraged to contact their detachment/field coach once they know where they're going.

3. Also varies. It'll depend on where you go and many other things. Your spouse will get a date for when they need to be on the job by and will be expected to be there ready to work. My partner was still staying at a hotel when he started his first shift until a suitable place became available to move into a couple weeks later.

Samakita
Rookie Member

Postby Samakita » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Still waiting for hubby to get a troop. Fingers crossed it will be one of the August ones! Although, I said that about June and July lol. It's getting real now....yikes!

I think I should be ok adusting to his work schedule. He currently works a 4 on 4 off schedule with night shifts. I'm used to him working on birthdays, holidays etc. so this shouldn't change to much. It was hard in the beginning. I work a typical 9-5 job so I have every weekend off. It's good having those 3 weekends in a row together and then there's approx. 3 in a row where he's working. I am used to it now though.

Once he finds out where he is going to be posted (if it's somewhere other than here of course), I will start looking for other work in that area. My aim is to not move until I have a job (of course, that's going to be easier said than done!)

I imagine that they send the troops home for Xmas right? I won't be able to fly out and see him at any time as we have an old and sick dog that we can't get anyone to look after. So I'm hoping he'll come him for the Xmas break. That will be ok as it gives us both something to look forward to. For graduation, my aim is to drive there (gulp) as that way, I can bring the dog along for the car ride lol. Hopefully the weather will co-operate :|

I'm sure I will have many more questions along the way. He's not even at depot yet! :D
RPAB - Aug 2012
RMAQ - Oct 2012
PARE - Nov 2012
RMSI - Jun 2013
PARE #2 - Aug 2013
Poly - Nov 2013
Med - May 2014
BGI - May 2014
Pare #3 - Jun 2014
Med. cleared - Jul 2014
SR/FR - July/Aug - complete
SC - Aug/Sep. - complete
**TROOP 16!!**

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 am

Samakita wrote:Still waiting for hubby to get a troop. Fingers crossed it will be one of the August ones! Although, I said that about June and July lol. It's getting real now....yikes!

I think I should be ok adusting to his work schedule. He currently works a 4 on 4 off schedule with night shifts. I'm used to him working on birthdays, holidays etc. so this shouldn't change to much. It was hard in the beginning. I work a typical 9-5 job so I have every weekend off. It's good having those 3 weekends in a row together and then there's approx. 3 in a row where he's working. I am used to it now though.

Once he finds out where he is going to be posted (if it's somewhere other than here of course), I will start looking for other work in that area. My aim is to not move until I have a job (of course, that's going to be easier said than done!)

I imagine that they send the troops home for Xmas right? I won't be able to fly out and see him at any time as we have an old and sick dog that we can't get anyone to look after. So I'm hoping he'll come him for the Xmas break. That will be ok as it gives us both something to look forward to. For graduation, my aim is to drive there (gulp) as that way, I can bring the dog along for the car ride lol. Hopefully the weather will co-operate :|

I'm sure I will have many more questions along the way. He's not even at depot yet! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hopefully your spouse hears soon! I have heard that cadets get approximately 10 days off, but that was though word of mouth nothing official. Either way that will be plenty of time for him to make a return trip home! It would be hard to go that long with out seeing your spouse. I'm at 2 months and I'm getting antsy. I'll see him next weekend, then not again until October, and again for his grad week end of November/December. The drive there sucks. But that's coming from a biased person who did it every yr for 18 yrs lol. If it's new to you it may be nice. Though if your going in the winter it won't be good. Lots of places for unpredictable weather.. Good luck!
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:24 am

zycil27 wrote:1. It varies. Could be a couple days, could be a couple weeks or more, depending on where you're moving to and from and the distance between. Cadets typically are told their posting 6-8 weeks or so before graduation, that also varies based on several factors.

2. Depends on the detachment I think. The recruit will be encouraged to contact their detachment/field coach once they know where they're going.

3. Also varies. It'll depend on where you go and many other things. Your spouse will get a date for when they need to be on the job by and will be expected to be there ready to work. My partner was still staying at a hotel when he started his first shift until a suitable place became available to move into a couple weeks later.
Thanks for the information, it has been helpful. Not a lot of information has been provided at this point, though I'm sure it will be in due time. I just like to have an idea of what I can plan for. ;)
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia

Sparky16

Postby Sparky16 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 am

Thegoodwife wrote: My questions for you are:
1. How much time do they give you to get to your first post? How much notice are the Cadets given regarding their first post? I am required by union to give at least 1 month notice unless I stay within the same health authority.
Zycil is right, but this is what I was told recently
1. Staffing comes and does a talk during the first week and covers this topic and this is what my troop was told. Basically he will find out his province around week 16 and he will find out his detachment within 2 weeks of that. Of course this can change, cadets have been told their provinces and detachments only to have it changed later in training.
As for getting to your first post, a general timeline we were given was something like this..Monday fly home, tues and weds are pack days, thursday is a move day and you are out of your existing city and in your new city by Saturday. I dont have the document in front of me but that was roughly what it was. Obviously, like everything in this organization, it depends on many factors. That being said, one girl in the most recently graduating troop was given 10 days before she had to report for duty at her first post.
Samakita wrote: I imagine that they send the troops home for Xmas right?
They wont fly anyone home for Christmas, if he wants to go home he has to pay unfortunately. :| But they do get time off over Christmas.
"K" Division

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm

TheGoodWife wrote:1. How much time do they give you to get to your first post?
In most cases, newly engaged members report for work seven days after graduation.

Here's typically how the week looks.
  • Monday: Graduation
  • Tuesday: Travel home (or graduation, if Monday is a stat holiday)
  • Wednesday: An extra travel day to allow for delayed flights, long trips and Tuesday grads
  • Thursday: Movers arrive to pack
  • Friday: Movers load the trucks
  • Saturday: Travel to first post
  • Sunday: Extra travel day
  • Monday: Report to work at the detachment.
Of course, not every move follows this formula. Either trip may take more than two days due to bad weather, airline strikes, extra long distances or a variety of other reasons. Detachment shift schedules may not line up nicely with that first Monday. Just like you've heard a thousand times during the application process, every case is different.

If there is no move required (i.e., the newly engaged member is posted to or near their home town) and travel only takes one day, the new member may be expected to report to work on Wednesday, two days after grad.

Remember, once the cadets sign the job offer and are sworn in as constables on grad day, they are on the RCMP payroll. Every day has to be accounted for and we want them to get to work as soon as possible.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm

If you need more time to get to your first posting talk to your detachment commander. I was fortunate to get a couple more days before I had to report.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

bluenoser1978
Veteran Member

Postby bluenoser1978 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am

PHB wrote:If you need more time to get to your first posting talk to your detachment commander. I was fortunate to get a couple more days before I had to report.
This.

I drove across the country after graduation and had 19 days before my first shift.

Thegoodwife

Postby Thegoodwife » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 am

Well just finished our first visit with the hubby this weekend. He is now 1/3 done! It was great to see him, hard to say good bye, getting ready to jump on plane home with my 14 month old today :shock: but seeing him made the trip worth every min of what I am about to endure LOL.
Wife of an RCMP hopeful!
British Columbia