Vancouver Police Department Questions

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jrodriguez604
Rookie Member

Re: Vancouver Police Department Questions

Postby jrodriguez604 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Latecareerchange wrote:Hey J-Rod (yeah, I'm calling you that now),

The POPAT went well. We had 12 in our group and I think everyone represented themselves well. Good scores for all the guys, a few of the ladies rocked it as well and the others were quite close.

I think they may be starting to move fairly quickly now because I received a call today and my interview is next week!

Who knows though - maybe they called me early because of my advanced age and they are worried that if they wait too long, I could fall and break a hip in the meantime. :P

LCC

Haha thanks for the nickname! That's amazing news! Congratulations on getting through it! Best of luck at the interview stage, and maybe invest in a padded room until the application process is over ;) How long did it take for you to get the call after you handed in your disclosure forms? I am trying to gauge approximately how long I have until I have to be ready for the POPAT.

Latecareerchange
Rookie Member

Postby Latecareerchange » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:22 pm

If in doubt, I would just plan on getting in as good as shape as possible as quickly as possible, and then go on maintenance mode if it's taking awhile for them to contact you.

There are stories through this site about people waiting months to get the call (whether it's muni or RCMP) and others who said they were called almost immediately - for those that thought they had plenty of time, some of them failed. Since fitness is the only thing you can really control, take care of that because there's nothing you can do about whether they call tomorrow or in 6 months.

It's always tough to gage their pace because you never know what's going on behind the scenes and the volume of applications they are working through. What happens to one person may not be indicative of someone else.

But I hope you get the call soon!

LCC

dodo123
Rookie Member

Postby dodo123 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Just to add onto above comment .. I feel if you are applying to be a Police Officer you should be fit and be in good health.. Being fit should not be a choice it should be a lifestyle!! You shouldn't workout/run just so you can barely pass the physical and not keep up..

I cringe every time I see over weight police officers (all forces .. not just targeting VPD) How are you supposed to run after a potential suspect .. I mean either the suspect would get away or the officer pull out a weapon when it could have been easily avoided. :offtopic: lol just my thoughts :mrgreen:

Latecareerchange
Rookie Member

Postby Latecareerchange » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:49 pm

dodo123 - your input is valid and should be a blanket statement for all LEO's.

However, to give J-rod the benefit of the doubt, I'm the one that took it in the 'get your ass in shape' direction. He may have just been asking from the 'I want to plan how to peak my training at the right time' perspective.

But I do agree with you - not keeping fit can do you, your partner or the public a disservice.

:D

LCC

jrodriguez604
Rookie Member

Postby jrodriguez604 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeah I was only asking from a general "how long might I expect to have to wait" standpoint. I am in quite good shape, and between the sports and exercise I just want to try and keep myself in peak condition for when I (hopefully) get the call!

Harrison
Rookie Member

Postby Harrison » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I got the call today inviting me to write the entrance exam. I had the option of either this Saturday, or exactly a month from today. I chose the latter, due to the fact that I have zero time to prepare between now and Saturday, and I obviously want to ace the exam. A current VPD member told me that my behavior and interest will be closely examined, and I should've chosen this Saturday. I'm worried now, will they think I'm not as interested because I chose the latter date?

leb-in-vancouver
Rookie Member

Postby leb-in-vancouver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Harrison wrote:I got the call today inviting me to write the entrance exam. I had the option of either this Saturday, or exactly a month from today. I chose the latter, due to the fact that I have zero time to prepare between now and Saturday, and I obviously want to ace the exam. A current VPD member told me that my behavior and interest will be closely examined, and I should've chosen this Saturday. I'm worried now, will they think I'm not as interested because I chose the latter date?

Or maybe they will recognize you want time to prepare...

If you start over-thinking before the process starts, you're in trouble.. lol
Vancouver

Harrison
Rookie Member

Postby Harrison » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 pm

leb-in-vancouver wrote:
Harrison wrote:I got the call today inviting me to write the entrance exam. I had the option of either this Saturday, or exactly a month from today. I chose the latter, due to the fact that I have zero time to prepare between now and Saturday, and I obviously want to ace the exam. A current VPD member told me that my behavior and interest will be closely examined, and I should've chosen this Saturday. I'm worried now, will they think I'm not as interested because I chose the latter date?

Haha thank you. I wasn't worried until the VPD member I know told me that. This way I'll have time to actually prepare for it and do really well.

encode9
Rookie Member

Postby encode9 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Does the VPD give precedence to people in BC over Ontario? I'm sure it doesn't hurt to live in BC, but just curious.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 pm

encode9 wrote:Does the VPD give precedence to people in BC over Ontario? I'm sure it doesn't hurt to live in BC, but just curious.

From VPD website:

At the current time, we are not accepting applications from people outside the province of B.C. Check back for updates.

Spitz42
Rookie Member

Postby Spitz42 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm

leb-in-vancouver wrote:

could not agree more lol

jrodriguez604
Rookie Member

Postby jrodriguez604 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 pm

I got the dreaded letter in the mail this morning letting me know that my application was denied and that "they will not be giving any further consideration to my application". Beyond bummed right now, and not knowing what the reasons were for the denial is the hardest part.

I have emailed the recruiting department to see if they can shed any light as to whether or not I should even bother reapplying to other departments based on what it was they discovered, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I was denied. I will continue to pursue my dream with other departments, but man... this sucks :(

Latecareerchange
Rookie Member

Postby Latecareerchange » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Very sorry to hear that. This news is tough and yes, the uncertainty is hard.

If it's your dream job, don't let it deter you. Go after all the options. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you are in the same spot you are now. Perhaps you'll find a better match with another agency.

To be completely honest, I'd be more bummed if I was further along the process and then got denied for unknown reasons. I've spoken with a few good people where that's happened. Try the other muni's and RCMP if that's your thing.

This forum is littered with people that tried may organizations for many years before finding something that worked.

Good luck!

LCC

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 pm

jrodriguez604 wrote:I got the dreaded letter in the mail this morning letting me know that my application was denied and that "they will not be giving any further consideration to my application". Beyond bummed right now, and not knowing what the reasons were for the denial is the hardest part.

I have emailed the recruiting department to see if they can shed any light as to whether or not I should even bother reapplying to other departments based on what it was they discovered, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I was denied. I will continue to pursue my dream with other departments, but man... this sucks :(

I've spoken to many other agencies that say although they talk to each other re: an applicant, they make their own decisions. Worst case is if they don't tell you why, you can apply for a FOI and although it can take months, at least you'll read word for word why.

ohmaii
Rookie Member

Postby ohmaii » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 pm

jrodriguez604 wrote:I got the dreaded letter in the mail this morning letting me know that my application was denied and that "they will not be giving any further consideration to my application". Beyond bummed right now, and not knowing what the reasons were for the denial is the hardest part.

Sorry to hear that :(
I received the bad news from them not long ago, and likely went through the same thought process that you must be going through following the news.

I don't know the details about your application, so I would just suggest inquiring with the recruiting department or your file coordinator/detective to ask why you were deferred so you could improve yourself. In my case, I was at the poly/BGI stage, so I had already established a relationship with the detective on my file, which gave me the opportunity to discuss the outcome.