Vancouver Police Department Questions

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Vancouver Police Department Questions

Postby stevemcmav » Sat May 31, 2014 1:06 am

Hi all,
I've been searching for an LE applicant thread centered on the VPD for a little while but I've come up unsuccessful! If it exists and I'm wasting your time I'm sorry, but I have some broad questions that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.
Have any of you had any experience with the VPD through the application process, or possibly as a full-fledged member? Any information about recruiting, training, positive encounters, strengths and flaws of the department, or comparisons would be appreciated.
I love the city and as I've spent a lot of time there, I've witnessed some really commendable police work; typically the quelling of booze/substance fueled dust-ups, but also just having a very positive police presence. The monthly information sessions they hold are very helpful, but I'm looking for something more in-depth. If someone cares to share personal accounts of the recruiting process, their training, ride-along experiences, or has department specific tips for applicants etc, I'd like to here them!
As a side note, if you're looking for something that pertains to policing to read for enjoyment's sake, Cst. Steve Addison's "Diary of a Beat Cop" is seriously gripping; I discovered it for the first time today and I can not stop reading.
Thanks
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

Uter
Rookie Member

Re: Vancouver Police Department Questions

Postby Uter » Sat May 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the reading suggestion! I sometimes find searching google with 'blueline + your topic' yields some good hits too, even if mention of your topic is scattered across many different threads.

You make a valid point that for a city the size of Vancouver, there is not much activity. I checked around a year ago just out of curiosity, and I noticed that VPD made specific mention that they were not looking to recruit applicants from outside of the province, so this is probably one reason for lack of interest on here.

Stark

Postby Stark » Sat May 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Really happy to see a VPD thread as well. I'm hoping to submit my application next week so if anyone else is going through the process or is already on with VPD, it would be awesome to hear from you.

Stevemcmav, Constable Addison's blog is awesome. If you haven't heard of it, youtube the Beat. It's a documentary that follows a group of VPD officers who work in the downtown eastside. Constable Addison is one of them. It's a shame they only made 2 seasons of it.

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Sat May 31, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm hoping this thread may attract more attention, I think many people on here would have some valuable insight for us!
As for the VPD's lack of interest in hiring out of province applicants, I also haven't seen any ads for recruitment sessions in other provinces; although I'm a BC resident and I'm not searching for out of province sessions. I'd hazard a guess and say that if they aren't putting their feelers out across the country, they most likely have ample applications from BC residents. That being said, I do remember Sgt. Torvik regaling the audience of some overseas recruiting in the UK, IF I remember correctly as I could be thinking of another person or department.
Stark, I have seen it yes! I've spent many a late night on youtube watching the DT Eastside crew at work; it's a very impressive documentary, although disheartening at times...Have you seen "Through the Blue Lens"? It's the predecessor to "The Beat", and even though it's years older many of the similarities in the DTES stay true. If you have any other movies or reading material ideas for me, it would be well received! For the time being I'll be hoping for a new season of "The Beat" and to keep reading Cst. Steve Addison's blog.
Are you applying to the VPD this year? I hear their recruiting numbers for 2014 are going to be fairly large.
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

ng67
Rookie Member

Postby ng67 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Last edited by ng67 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCMP / E-Div
Constable

Uter
Rookie Member

Postby Uter » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:49 am

That's a shame actually, regarding the age thing. Thankfully most police services do not take this approach in recruiting. A better candidate is a better candidate, no?

Just to point out that I did not mean that VPD chooses not to actively recruit in other provinces with special out of province testing etc; in fact, they simply don't accept applications from out of province applicants. This is found near the bottom of the 'Qualifications' page on their site.

Stark

Postby Stark » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:04 am

Stevemcmav, I haven't watched Through the Blue Lens yet but I've heard nothing but great things about it. I will be applying in the next little while and hoping to get on by the time I finish school next year. How about yourself?

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:06 am

I wasn't aware of that policy, I'm sorry to hear that you were denied because of those stipulations. I think everyone has reasons why they may not make it through the process, but to have those fears confirmed takes the floor out from underneath your feet. That said, don't give up hope for other departments, perhaps some don't place such a priority on age.
As for the post secondary credit confusion, I was under the impression that a college or technical institute would suffice. I imagined that someone with credits from B.C.I.T., Okanagan College, or somewhere alike would be able to justify their credits to recruiting. I believe Sgt. Torvik said at the information session that "We want to know you've learned how to learn." Again that's a rough paraphrase and it could have been one of the other recruiters.
I nearly have my degree (by next summer IF all goes as planned) and I'm in my early to mid 20's. Although that fosters some much needed optimism, I am far from perfect and satisfying the minimum requirements is no guarantee of employment (or any success in the process).
I have a question for ng67, CrossfitCop, and Stark. Which other departments, if any, are you applying to? I'd like to keep this conversation focused on the VPD but I am curious. If you are applying elsewhere, maybe give some reasons why, comparisons or similarities? Thanks!
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:16 am

Stark wrote:Stevemcmav, I haven't watched Through the Blue Lens yet but I've heard nothing but great things about it. I will be applying in the next little while and hoping to get on by the time I finish school next year. How about yourself?

It's a great documentary, very graphic at some points but I have the feeling that you can handle graphic material, especially if you're planning to police that same area as in the film. I guess if you're also applying for the end of next school year, you and I will be in the same boat! It seems we'll both have to come at recruiting like a bull with his nuts in a vice...humbly and prepared.
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

Stark

Postby Stark » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:19 am

It does seem a little unreasonable to exclude on age if you meet all the other requirements. Particularly since the VPD website states that the average successful applicant is 27 which indicates they really want life experience.

Steve, I'm probably applying only to VPD. I'm very nervous about putting all of my eggs in one basket so to speak but Vancouver is truly where I want to be. I seriously considered the RCMP but I didn't like the idea of being deployed pretty much anywhere and the frequent relocations.

haha "bull with his nuts in a vice." Good luck to you man. Glad to know there's someone else who will be going through this process at the same time as me.

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:45 am

Stark wrote:It does seem a little unreasonable to exclude on age if you meet all the other requirements. Particularly since the VPD website states that the average successful applicant is 27 which indicates they really want life experience.

Steve, I'm probably applying only to VPD. I'm very nervous about putting all of my eggs in one basket so to speak but Vancouver is truly where I want to be. I seriously considered the RCMP but I didn't like the idea of being deployed pretty much anywhere and the frequent relocations.

It's funny you mention that because I couldn't feel more similarly. I went to an RCMP information session and I know a few RCMP officers as well, the relocation commitment they made is not one I want to make. Vancouver is where I want to live, I truly think it's one of the world's greatest cities. I'll also add that I grew up elsewhere, so the appeal doesn't come from it being my hometown.I'm going to try extraordinarily hard to be hired there before I send applications elsewhere, however naive that may seem to individuals who applied several times to several departments before getting hired. With a lot of persistence and luck, we may get what we're striving for.
One of my professors is an former VPD officer and I spoke with him briefly a few months ago about applying. He thought my chances would be good because it's a large city in need of officers; however, he was hired on in a different era probably some 30-40 years ago. Not to detract from his expertise or experience, but I've heard it's a different hiring environment now...
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 am

About my last post, I didn't mean to suggest that hometown pride is less valid, it's just not the case for me.
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04
Med Rec - 2018/05
Troop #13

ng67
Rookie Member

Postby ng67 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 am

Last edited by ng67 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RCMP / E-Div
Constable

Stark

Postby Stark » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:36 pm

stevemcmav wrote:
Stark wrote:It does seem a little unreasonable to exclude on age if you meet all the other requirements. Particularly since the VPD website states that the average successful applicant is 27 which indicates they really want life experience.

It's funny you mention that because I couldn't feel more similarly. I went to an RCMP information session and I know a few RCMP officers as well, the relocation commitment they made is not one I want to make. Vancouver is where I want to live, I truly think it's one of the world's greatest cities. I'll also add that I grew up elsewhere, so the appeal doesn't come from it being my hometown.I'm going to try extraordinarily hard to be hired there before I send applications elsewhere, however naive that may seem to individuals who applied several times to several departments before getting hired. With a lot of persistence and luck, we may get what we're striving for.
One of my professors is an former VPD officer and I spoke with him briefly a few months ago about applying. He thought my chances would be good because it's a large city in need of officers; however, he was hired on in a different era probably some 30-40 years ago. Not to detract from his expertise or experience, but I've heard it's a different hiring environment now...

Looks like we're in the exact same boat. I did the RCMP info session thing too and have quite a few friends with the RCMP but at the end of the day, it just didn't seem to be the right fit for me. I've also lived in quite a few cities in my life so the idea of settling down in Vancouver really appeals to me.

Any idea on the approx number VPD will be hiring for this year/next year? It's a shame the mass hiring that's going on in Calgary isn't happening in Van haha.

stevemcmav
Rookie Member

Postby stevemcmav » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:17 am

Stark wrote:Looks like we're in the exact same boat. I did the RCMP info session thing too and have quite a few friends with the RCMP but at the end of the day, it just didn't seem to be the right fit for me. I've also lived in quite a few cities in my life so the idea of settling down in Vancouver really appeals to me.

Any idea on the approx number VPD will be hiring for this year/next year? It's a shame the mass hiring that's going on in Calgary isn't happening in Van haha.

I can't quantify it, sorry! From what I gathered, this would have been a good year to apply had we been ready; I vaguely remember hearing that numbers were relatively large in comparison to recent years! As for next year, I haven't heard anything yet but I'm hoping there are droves of happy retirees this year to force next year's demand in our favor.

Do you know roughly what the hiring timeline structure is? For example, if an applicant sends his/her application in January and another sends theirs in August, would they be evaluated for the same intake? More clearly, do they have one intake per year or several? Having more than one seems like it would be hectic...I ask because in the recruiting outlook video, they suggested that applicants send their packages quickly (for 2014).
Online app- 2017/01
SP submitted- 2017/02
RMAQ interview- 2017/07
PEP- 2017/10
PEP follow-up- 2017/11
Med - 2018/01
BGI- 2018/01
Psych- 2018/01
FSR- 2018/01
Psych interview- 2018/02
FSR Rec- 2018/03
SC Rec- 2018/04