Armed nuclear security officer - OPG

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ADAMSHONE
Rookie Member

Armed nuclear security officer - OPG

Postby ADAMSHONE » Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 am

Is anyone aware of the role and can help me out by answering a few questions. Especially interested to hear from former UK officers who have made the transition to the Canadian police forces and the hoops they had to jump through to get there

Can anyone help?

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Re: Armed nuclear security officer - OPG

Postby RemingtonSteel » Fri May 23, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm confused by your question. Are you currently a Canadian Resident or are you asking about getting an OPG/policing job as a direct from UK applicant?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

ADAMSHONE
Rookie Member

Postby ADAMSHONE » Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Apologies. I am not resident to Canada and therefore will be looking to emigrate from the UK and join the OPG Team

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 am

I have a friend that was a NRF officer with OPG a year ago, he is now a PC. You are basically an armed tactical member responsible for asset protection and responding to various incidents that may occur. Great job, a lot of ex law enforcement/ Corrections/ Police members end up with those spots.

I went threw the process a long time ago. You would have to fly here to do all the testing if you are selected when invites to testing go out, but this is only open to Canadian citizens. As for Police Services, take a look at the services you are interested in and contact a recruiting member.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun May 25, 2014 5:29 pm

You look the part but you dont act the part.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Do you currently have a family member or some other form of sponsorship in order to get permanent resident status? The only reason I ask is that you would need a valid work permit and OPG won't be able to sponsor you direct since they get enough local applicants. CPS and EPS were sponsoring UK officers a few years back and I believe Toronto did the same many years ago. However they are all now getting enough local talent and thus aren't able to sponsor UK folks.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 am

Didn't know they were hiring again, thanks for letting us know. I am sure they just added a few hundred more applicants lol
KCCO

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 pm

hey everyone,
would anybody know how many spots are they looking to fill ?
and would anybody know the pay scale ?
chase your dreams not the competition

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue May 27, 2014 10:25 am

BC_Blue wrote:hey everyone,
would anybody know how many spots are they looking to fill ?

Nobody who has that information will disclose it due to security reasons.

and would anybody know the pay scale ?

OPG's collective agreement is online.

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm

^ Awesome

Thanks a bunch

cheers
chase your dreams not the competition

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue May 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Top end is like 38 an hour area, slightly less than Bruce nuke which pays 40.

I don't know what the hiring process is like, I know they used to have two separate processes (there was the regular NSO and then the Tactical NSO). As I recall the Tactical one where you made you do the FIT PIN with 80% and the regular NSOs had a simpler fitness test. I'm guessing now that they are all armed, they'll all do the PIN.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Wed May 28, 2014 12:18 pm

CrossfitCop wrote:
Lights wrote:I have a friend that was a NRF officer with OPG a year ago, he is now a PC. You are basically an armed tactical member responsible for asset protection and responding to various incidents that may occur. Great job, a lot of ex law enforcement/ Corrections/ Police members end up with those spots.

I went threw the process a long time ago. You would have to fly here to do all the testing if you are selected when invites to testing go out, but this is only open to Canadian citizens. As for Police Services, take a look at the services you are interested in and contact a recruiting member.

Lights. I know personally of a permanent resident who just got hired with Bruce Power tac. Are you certain that OPG requires full citizenship?

Yeah sorry brother thats what I ment, you have to have at least that but Its all up to them.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Wed May 28, 2014 12:24 pm

RemingtonSteel wrote:Top end is like 38 an hour area, slightly less than Bruce nuke which pays 40.

I don't know what the hiring process is like, I know they used to have two separate processes (there was the regular NSO and then the Tactical NSO). As I recall the Tactical one where you made you do the FIT PIN with 80% and the regular NSOs had a simpler fitness test. I'm guessing now that they are all armed, they'll all do the PIN.

When I went through the process, I did the PIn test, then the physc. At the same time, a friend made it through as a regular security officer (Not NRF) and he said it was different testing.

Its a great opportunity but if people are thinking this is a drive around in a truck pulling people over/Police type deal it is not. It is an amazing job, but its not what you would think. I wont go into specifics about exactly what they do but its a good career. Go to the OPG web site and sign up. Notifications go out threw that.

POLICE OFFICER

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:10 pm

I ended up throwing in for this. I wasn't really considering at all, and am more than happy at my current job, but I decided to take a peak over at the posting. After reading it, I felt as though I would be an excellent applicant for it, and went through the online application process.

When I checked it out it was unfortunately only an hour or so before the closing date, so I wasn't the most prepared for this application, but I'm signed up for notifications now, and will definitely consider pursuing.

Thanks for the (vague :mrgreen: ) details though guys.

army32lb
Rookie Member

Postby army32lb » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Has anyone heard back with a date to the physical testing?