Appealing a Deferral

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
clachambre
Rookie Member

Appealing a Deferral

Postby clachambre » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:18 am

Hello friends,

I have a general question regarding your experiences in appealing a deferral. I realize that every police service is different, and that every application is unique. And I am not asking for anyone to name any specific agency. And because of that, I know that I am going to likely get a large range of different answers to my questions. But that is exactly what I want, because I am not looking to "predict" what will happen to me based on what you guys and gals have to say. I am not naive enough to use others' experiences to predict my own future. So I am not looking for specifics, such as why you were deferred or why you thought your deferral was unwarranted.

Having said that... what I am curious about is your overall experience with the appeal process, including how you approached it and what the result was. What kinds of things did you write in your letter? Who did you address it to (ie, was it an email to the general recruiting email address, or did you hand-deliver it to the recruiting sergeant?). Was your appeal successful? If so, how was your deferral changed
(ie, 3 years to 1 year, permanent to 3 years, etc). Were you able to sit down with a recruiter and chat about your application? How long did it take before you were first contacted after submitting your letter?

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I did try the search tool and came back with limited results. Again, I am not looking for anyone to give me any specific answers to any questions I may have about my own situation. I am just curious about what experiences you folks have had with appealing a deferral (and if you managed to get on with your first application, then I am eternally jealous). I've chatted with several co-workers who have been deferred and only a couple of them put in an appeal... so hopefully I can extract some info from the Blueline well! Thanks in advance.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: Appealing a Deferral

Postby basketcase » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 am

Not enough info. Why were you deferred? How long was the deferral? Why can't you accept it and take it as an opportunity to improve? Why do you think the service erred in giving you a deferral?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

clachambre
Rookie Member

Postby clachambre » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:00 am

Again, I am not looking for anyone to answer any questions regarding my personal situation. I'm just curious about others' general experience. Don't think too much into it :)

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 am

I appealed a deferral for several reasons.
It didn't work.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 am

I have not heard of a deferral appeal being approved. Frankly, in my eyes it would probabaly cast the person in a more negative light as entitled and not willing to listen.
Hired Goon

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

There's a deferral "appeal" process?? How 'bout..."we don't feel like hiring you; at least right now". How do you appeal that?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:16 am

I'll clarify on mine. I was interviewed in French. I don't speak French.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 am

meathead1 wrote:I'll clarify on mine. I was interviewed in French. I don't speak French.

LOL. I bet that was a short interview.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

meathead1 wrote:I'll clarify on mine. I was interviewed in French. I don't speak French.

Lol

SierraKiloMike
Rookie Member

Postby SierraKiloMike » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

hahahahaha I don't even know what I would do in that situation... stare blankly at the recruiter for a long period of time. :banghead:

CharlieVictor
Rookie Member

Postby CharlieVictor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Take it as a hint. Speak french or else.
Police Constable

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:53 pm

I recently appealed a deferral and had it changed.
If it is warranted, then proper articulation can go a long way for showing that your really want the job.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:09 pm

I appealed mine and my deferral period was reduced and I was inserted later in the process. My deferral was at the medical stage and I was getting the shaft.

If you deferral is criminal activity related or just not a good applicant I wouldn't rock the boat and just re-apply. I would only do it if they really got it wrong.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 pm

ryan.p wrote:LOL. I bet that was a short interview.

You'd think, eh? It was over 3 hours.

mcgrath wrote:hahahahaha I don't even know what I would do in that situation... stare blankly at the recruiter for a long period of time. :banghead:

that's pretty much how it started. She must have seen my jaw hit the floor, because she asked (in french) if there was a problem. I answered in English that there must have been a mistake, as I do not speak French. She then fumbled her way through what could barely be classified as an interview in English. She left the room multiple times, and had no issue telling me it was to look up words in a french-english dictionary. Needless to say, I failed the interview. I appealed it based on the fact that she could barely speak English. The OIC in charge of staffing turned down my appeal, saying that her language profile says she can speak English, so she can speak English.

gunner065
Rookie Member

Postby gunner065 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Ha! That sounds an awful lot like a CF-type of operation. Maybe a BPSO office ??