What Would You Do if You're In My Position? Advice please!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fitchy
Rookie Member

What Would You Do if You're In My Position? Advice please!

Postby fitchy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm currently a 3rd year university student, 21, studying design and technology in Vancouver. I've always wanted to go into law enforcement as a kid, but went to university instead, since all my friends went at the time. I love what I'm currently doing at school, but see it as more of a hobby than a career. It was only recent that this whole idea of becoming a police officer again really hit me. I wanted to quit school, however decided not to, since I was already close to 3rd year and if this whole thing doesn't work out, at least I still have my bachelors.

Which brings me to my question:

What should I do after graduation? I've been thinking about this for a very long time, and I know that going into law enforcement is something that I truly want to do.
Should I attend JIBC? I mean, what is the difference? Would they just better prepare me for my application going into VPD, RCMP, or NWPD? Is it promising to go into JIBC? Or should I just apply for policing directly after graduation?

Thank you for reading my post. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! :D

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: What Would You Do if You're In My Position? Advice pleas

Postby meathead1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:55 pm

I'll let someone from BC respond to this, but I am pretty sure you have the wrong idea about how you go about becoming a police officer.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Mots
Rookie Member

Postby Mots » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Start applying now...

If Law Enforcement is what you want to do, then get the ball rolling and apply now...
If you are successful great! Then you can then decide to leave or stay in school!
If for some reason you are not then you can make the changes and take the recommendations to be more competitive and finish you schooling and reapply!
Your 21 years old you have time in your life to do both... That is what I would do.

Mots
Application Details "E Div"
Sep 2012 RPAT
Nov 2012 Application
April 2013 File Review
May 2013 RMSI
July 2013 Polygraph
Jan 2013 Medical
Feb 2014 BGI
Feb 2014 Final Review
May 2014 Security Clearance

Troop 4
May 28th - Nov 17th 2014

RM

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Don't listen to that guy....finish school.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Finish school and then start applying.

You might think it's what you've always wanted but if you change your mind after 5 or 6 years, or you blow out your knees or back, you'll be wishing you had that degree in your back pocket.

perseveringapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby perseveringapplicant » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Finnish your school. Now, you can simultaneously apply to the RCMP while you remain in school, but don't drop out -- and certainly don't drop out for JIBC. Municipal police forces are generally competitive due to the large waves of applicants, limited spots and precarious budgets, but if you start building yourself as an applicant today, you may have a stronger chance by the time you graduate! Life experience is important, as well as volunteer/job experience in a relevant field can be of big help. A good example is to volunteer for your local community policing center for it seems that they are always looking for volunteers -- and this may help make up your up mind in determining if law enforcement is your kind of thing.
Last edited by perseveringapplicant on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frontovika
Rookie Member

Postby frontovika » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm

As others have already mentioned, you should complete your education and apply to a police force afterwards.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:07 pm

recceguy wrote:Don't listen to that guy....finish school.

X2. Not finishing what you start is definitely not an attribute you want to demonstrate to a police service.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

meathead1 wrote:
recceguy wrote:Don't listen to that guy....finish school.

X2. Not finishing what you start is definitely not an attribute you want to demonstrate to a police service.

Agreed. Completing something and doing really well at it ie. good grades, goes a long way. Shows you can take on tasks until completion especially having obstacles along the way. That makes for good interview scenarios. AND profs who see your work ethic are good references.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 am

Don't be a fool, stay in school. :thumbsup:
:wave:

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 am

1: Ignore any replies to your question that come from other applicants and not from serving LEO.

2: Begin your application now, while continuing in school. The application process takes a LONG TIME. Absolute 'worst' case if you're successful is that three months before you're to graduate, you get an offer to begin training. If that should happen, I see no reason the force would not be perfectly understanding of your circumstances and defer you for a few classes to let you finish school. Forces like people with degrees for some arbitrary reason.

3: You're young. There's a chance you may not get in first time, particularly depending on what you've done besides just go to school. If your first application may result in deferral, best to get it going ASAP so you can get a sense of what you do and don't bring to the table so you know what to work on.

4: Have backup plans. getting into a police force can take several tires and many years. You might be that guy who gets in right away at a young age. It's certainly not unheard of. But don't bank on it and put all your eggs in one basket.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am

Finish your degree.

Do not buy into the JI's claims about how their Police Studies diploma will help you through the application process.
:wave:

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 pm

brihard wrote:1: Ignore any replies to your question that come from other applicants and not from serving LEO.

2: Begin your application now, while continuing in school. The application process takes a LONG TIME. Absolute 'worst' case if you're successful is that three months before you're to graduate, you get an offer to begin training. If that should happen, I see no reason the force would not be perfectly understanding of your circumstances and defer you for a few classes to let you finish school. Forces like people with degrees for some arbitrary reason.

I was 21 when I went to training. I was in my 3rd of four years in Post Secondary when I applied. The force called me in January, with one semester left in my 4th year. I told them I had one semester left and wanted to graduate, and they stated this was fine. I left 2 weeks after finishing my exams, starting the first week of May.

Coles notes: Stay in school and apply.

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

red_coat wrote:
brihard wrote:1: Ignore any replies to your question that come from other applicants and not from serving LEO.

I was 21 when I went to training. I was in my 3rd of four years in Post Secondary when I applied. The force called me in January, with one semester left in my 4th year. I told them I had one semester left and wanted to graduate, and they stated this was fine. I left 2 weeks after finishing my exams, starting the first week of May.

Coles notes: Stay in school and apply.

And a friend of mine who was in school was told by the RCMP that they couldn't hold his spot, so he left before finishing his degree. And he's trying to finish it now as a member in an understaffed detachment and it's a massive pain in the ass.

There's no reason to apply while still in school. It won't kill him to wait a few months after he graduates to get a job. If he did apply and for some reason after getting an offer and asking for time, they rejected it, he'd be starting the process over again anyways. Lots of elements of the application process have expiry dates.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:47 pm

When my younger brother got hired (RCMP), he asked to stick around for his university graduation and so he could test for his black belt. They had no issue, and he went a few months later.