Background checks

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Alphlax
Rookie Member

Background checks

Postby Alphlax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:24 am

So in police background checks for employment, what are the things they will be looking at? The way you interact with others? Will they check your internet history? Just wondering because all I know is that it's "intense".

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: Background checks

Postby meathead1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:36 am

They most definitely check your internet history. So they will know if you like to tug one out to "small furry woodland creatures". They will know that you watched "2 girls 1 cup". 17 different times. They will know all of that. They will know you are a big fan of My Little Pony.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:33 pm

meathead1 wrote:They most definitely check your internet history. So they will know if you like to tug one out to "small furry woodland creatures". They will know that you watched "2 girls 1 cup". 17 different times. They will know all of that. They will know you are a big fan of My Little Pony.

There is a Netflix documentary on guys who are extreme fans of My Little Pony. I'll give it a watch once I've seen every other show on there.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Alphlax wrote:So in police background checks for employment, what are the things they will be looking at? The way you interact with others? Will they check your internet history? Just wondering because all I know is that it's "intense".

I'm gonna quote this for posterity.......reason being your post raised a couple red flags for me.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 pm

meathead1 wrote:They most definitely check your internet history. So they will know if you like to tug one out to "small furry woodland creatures". They will know that you watched "2 girls 1 cup". 17 different times. They will know all of that. They will know you are a big fan of My Little Pony.

What about "1 man 1 jar"? Because if so, this is going to get awkward as shit in no time ...

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm assuming they must check all of that. How would you confirm whether or not an applicant was truthful in the sections of the application regarding harassment of others and use of abusive language (even if on the internet)....With internet "trolling" being so prevalent, I think its a good show of character on what you think you can get away with when you are regarded as being anonymous. A home visit, talking with your neighbors, and a social media/internet check would really give a good idea of what someone is like during their time off.

I'm not sure how I can hide my "thug life" neck tattoo other than to wear freakishly tall turtle necks through the whole process.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:

There is a Netflix documentary on guys who are extreme fans of My Little Pony. I'll give it a watch once I've seen every other show on there.

They're called Bronys get it right. Ha Ha
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

super_sonic
Rookie Member

Postby super_sonic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Alphlax wrote:So in police background checks for employment, what are the things they will be looking at? The way you interact with others? Will they check your internet history? Just wondering because all I know is that it's "intense".

They look up your employment history and internet activity. They'll speak to your references as well as your neighbors!! Background checks on your family and people that you've lived with and so on and so on.

Oh yeah, I also heard that they will speak to your ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, although I don't know anybody's ex who got a call about them.

Gearhead77 wrote:

LOL - "The Bronies"

My sister was telling me about it. hahaha
"Smooth seas don't make skilled sailors"

- African Proverb

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:23 pm

PHB wrote:
Gearhead77 wrote:

They're called Bronys get it right. Ha Ha

I'm concerned that you know that. And concerned that I know it too. :((

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 pm

super_sonic wrote:

They look up your employment history and internet activity. They'll speak to your references as well as your neighbors!! Background checks on your family and people that you've lived with and so on and so on.

Oh yeah, I also heard that they will speak to your ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, although I don't know anybody's ex who got a call about them.

Are you a member? Recruiter? Do you do background checks? How do you know they do these things? Maybe you just joined this website? Oh, wait .. you did.
Perhaps you should be a little more reticent with your advice. I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to look up my internet history during my background. Maybe they'll open source search my social media accounts, but shy of a production order, how are you going to look at what I do on the interweb?

Or maybe you just heard they do these things .... ?

Bauer
Rookie Member

Postby Bauer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm

xmber wrote:
super_sonic wrote:

Are you a member? Recruiter? Do you do background checks? How do you know they do these things? Maybe you just joined this website? Oh, wait .. you did.
Perhaps you should be a little more reticent with your advice. I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to look up my internet history during my background. Maybe they'll open source search my social media accounts, but shy of a production order, how are you going to look at what I do on the interweb?

Interweb? I think it might be past your bedtime.

And yes, the background investigators check EVERYTHING about you. :smirk:
I pray to God he's a troll....surely an applicant can not be this stupid. argyll
you're fucked. Go work at mcdonalds. We don't need idiots like you. meathead1

TO_Hopeful
Rookie Member

Postby TO_Hopeful » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 am

xmber wrote:
super_sonic wrote:

I'm not a recruiter, but it makes sense they would do this. I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the lines of applying you sign a waiver giving them permission to access all of your medical, financial, employment, etc. records. This could include internet usage. It's easy for them to find out the IP address used at my home and check where I've been.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 pm

They ask for user names, emails, sites you are a member of...etc.

If you're worried what they may find, then maybe that answers your question as to whether or not you should apply.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:57 pm

TO_Hopeful wrote: I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the lines of applying you sign a waiver giving them permission to access all of your medical, financial, employment, etc. records. This could include internet usage. It's easy for them to find out the IP address used at my home and check where I've been.

Relax a bit...nobody is getting blanket authority to access medical, financial, and employment records, regardless if it's police or not the police. That's not necessary. If your credit check shows you're a financial nightmare, or your pre-employment medical exam (depending on the outfit) shows something that would prevent you from doing the job, or if the member investigating your employment history (not limited to your "references" but every job you've had) finds skeletons, you won't be hired. No need to dig further.

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Let me answer anyways....

We want to know if your actual....and former boss would hire you again... We want to know that you got to work on time... Even on Saturday mornings... Where you hungover? Work ethics are a big thing... And of course honesty etc....

And yes I am a recruiter....

Caroline