Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Gmc5000
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Gmc5000 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Shout out to all the applicants that got the rejection letter today.
88)

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Thats unfortunate news. I wonder if the class size was cut due to the pandemic.

hopemagnet
Rookie Member

Postby hopemagnet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 am

Got rejection mail today as well. And not sure about pandemic being a factor. Pretty disappointed though.

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 am

hopemagnet wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 am
Got rejection mail today as well. And not sure about pandemic being a factor. Pretty disappointed though.
My only advice to anyone getting rejected is don’t give up. Hundreds of people apply for a couple of spots in training and positions. Make yourself more competitive. I took 3 years to make myself competitive. Then I applied to multiple law enforcement agencies and went with sheriffs.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:42 am

Highland2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:06 pm
That is accurate.

Police, Fire, Ambulance, and Academic classes are all closed. Its just our lone recruits there.. And also apparently a lone cafeteria worker wearing a hair net on his face lol.
Gonna be spooky in there. :oops:
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

imascott
Rookie Member

Postby imascott » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Not an avid blue line user anymore. but I have a fun story to share.
Recently my spouse went out for an ERT team.

I've been rolling with them and encouraging spontaneous friendly attacks around the house. It's fun and it helps them keep the material fresh.

Most agencies cater to the most common denominator. Not the old brown shirts. (now blue, of which I was not in favour, who cares ) 7 years later I still use, remember and have been highly successful (self evaluation) with all the skills the B.C. Sheriffs taught me. Seriously, i'm the most unassuming "under water knife fighting ninja" i know. I'd quote the person that taught me that but he knows.

8 years ago, B.C. Sheriffs were the lowest paid peace officer in the province. That might still be true, and with it, come other bottom of the barrel complications. I don't know anymore as I don't ask my friends what its like. I will say, that if you join, and move on, you have a hell of a resume of tactical know how. Make sure you keep all that stuff fresh.

I won't bother with how long I was with the Sheriffs, or what I do now, but I am either really disappointed in ERT training from other agencies or I'm just really happy I went B.C. Sheriffs first. The basic B.C. Deputy, can do so much, all in how you choose to use it.

Cheers to the new recruits, don't give up, it will pay you back in way more than a paycheque.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

RomeoAlpha8
Rookie Member

Postby RomeoAlpha8 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:45 am

sanderman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Gmc5000 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 am
sanderman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:28 am

They were just finishing up interviews at my office. So I wouldn’t think of it as being the end of your application process. They need to look through everyone first.
May I ask which office you work for?
One away from the lower mainland ;).
Aren’t you still a float?

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 am

RomeoAlpha8 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:45 am
sanderman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Gmc5000 wrote: