Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Danjay21
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Danjay21 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:14 pm

ikong0621 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:27 pm
sanderman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 am
ikong0621 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi guys, I have been looking into the Sheriff Department and will apply once I get my Class 4 Licence. I have been deferred by municipal police agencies due to a lack of policing experience, and just wondering if the Sheriff Department looks at policing experience just as heavily like municipal police agencies?
Apply now then they give you a certain date to have your class 4 learners in by. If you don’t reach that date then your booted from the process.
That is really helpful! Thank you for the insight and I will do that now.
Hey my friend, if you are serious about the Sheriffs, I would get your class 4 full license as soon as possible. It is easy to pass. It is also good classification to have anyways. It just nice to show them you have everything. I got my learners when I applied but got my full class 4 after my interview since it can get really busy to book. You just do not want to cut it too close that's all :) good luck to you if you choose to pursue it!

mattlcpdfr
Rookie Member

Postby mattlcpdfr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Does BC Sheriff have a traffic unit yet, since its been a while and I remember seeing something happening in kamloops a while ago. Just wondering if anything has changed.

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:46 pm

No traffic unit. There were talks about it and some deputies were trained but it got nixed.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 pm

The reasons for the nixing of the BC Sheriffs traffic unit were primarily political.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm

I heard a rumor about a 40 week work week being approved. I've read it before on here so a little skeptical. Any comments?

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 am

Heh... not sure what stage this 40 hour work week is at. May still be just a rumor. Been hearing this for ages since the start of the new contract and associated MOU to upgrade the Sheriff's classifications.
Last edited by Rareform on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:54 am

A vote was taken. It was overwhelmingly "yes"

It is now being presented to government. Government can either approve or deny it. If it's approved there is another step or two to take.

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Ah that makes sense. I imagine BCSS has been voting for a 40 hour work week for a while now? The Govt is pretty unlikely to approve it without a solid business case hey? I mean, it would go a long way to retention, but they'd probably want some expanded duties? All speculation I know.

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Blooms wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm
I heard a rumor about a 40 week work week being approved. I've read it before on here so a little skeptical. Any comments?
Not approved but voted yes to. And the business case is the amount they spend in overtime they can spend on an extra hour everyday.

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm

There has already been extensive work from both sides regarding it

It would be strange to spend this much time working on this if someone higher up didn't give an indication of approval. But who knows.

It looks good so far.

I believe this is the first time we have voted on such a measure.

Things are slowly changing with the sheriffs. I think it's a good time to join the team :)

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:09 am

Dorydory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm
There has already been extensive work from both sides regarding it

It would be strange to spend this much time working on this if someone higher up didn't give an indication of approval. But who knows.

It looks good so far.

I believe this is the first time we have voted on such a measure.

Things are slowly changing with the sheriffs. I think it's a good time to join the team :)
Agreed. If all goes through we will be at 80K in a couple of years.

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:06 am

Yup, I'm cautiously optimistic

Gmc5000
Rookie Member

Postby Gmc5000 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Hello everyone, I had my interview late February and still no reply for the June 22nd class. I emailed them asking about this matter, they told me they are doing interviews across the province and I should expect a reply by end of March early April. How fast did you guys get a call? Im sitting here boiling in my own juices. I really want the job. But hey, if they say no I will try again down the road. Also the interview was brutal they tried to get a rise out of me and they pretty much grilled me into a well done steak. 😥

Thanks

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Gmc5000 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 pm
Hello everyone, I had my interview late February and still no reply for the June 22nd class. I emailed them asking about this matter, they told me they are doing interviews across the province and I should expect a reply by end of March early April. How fast did you guys get a call? Im sitting here boiling in my own juices. I really want the job. But hey, if they say no I will try again down the road. Also the interview was brutal they tried to get a rise out of me and they pretty much grilled me into a well done steak. 😥

Thanks
Just keep on applying and making your self competitive, hundreds of people apply around the province.

hopemagnet
Rookie Member

Postby hopemagnet » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:11 pm

@Gmc5000, I'm in the same boat, still waiting to hear back...