Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Dorydory
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Dorydory » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 am

the only thing I've seen is a small change stating that we have to be sober and what not for work.

I'm sure drug use, whether legal or not, will come up in the CVSE, similar to alcohol use is examined.

if your drug use prior to oct 17 2018 would've precluded you before, it'll likely still hinder you now.

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Looks like the old page is back

Danjay21
Rookie Member

Postby Danjay21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am

Old page is back but all the recent posts are gone :(

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Should it matter about the drug and booze intake weed in particular what you do on your own time is your business. Just be professional outside of work and pick the appropriate time to do so not out in public etc. where you can tarnish the image of the agency like those people did at the clubs flashing badges and looking for trouble this is what happens when you hire people with no life experience

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Does anyone have any indication of what postings are available? I've got my interview coming up but just want to see if there's any opinions out there. Looking to get posted to the South Okanagan. The recruiter did say the interior is more competitive but I heard there were positions available about a year ago. PM if you want. thanks.

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 am

Positions come up often. If you apply and get to the end but the position you want isn't available you can put your app on hold and see if the next posting opens up.

I have known a few people who have also just started in the lower mainland and then lateralled to the interior within a year.

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Dorydory wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 am
Positions come up often. If you apply and get to the end but the position you want isn't available you can put your app on hold and see if the next posting opens up.

I have known a few people who have also just started in the lower mainland and then lateralled to the interior within a year.
Thanks for the insight. I'll hopefully find out in a couple weeks.

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Fingers crossed for you,

I got sent to the land of the extra ear people and couldn't make it back to civilization for 3 years...

If your not prepared to go to a post, and stay there for some serious time, don't put it on your selection list at all. I accepted a position, and was assigned it before SRT. Even though I was told I would be able to compete for the posts throughout training similar to the way CBSA does it. This is NOT true.

But again, I signed up, and if i wanted to quit i could have. For what its worth, I saw it through and I did finally make it back to the lower mainland. It gave me some unique experience that i brought to my current office and can bring to any future agency should i decide to leave.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Alright I'm 99% sure I know who you are now highland. You transferred into Surrey like 6 months ago right

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Passed my interview today. They emailed within 2 hours to let me know. That’s hopefully a good sign?!

Just security clearance and medical left. Those shouldn’t be an issue given the military security clearance and medical I did last year?

Really hoping for a posting in Okanagan.

Danjay21
Rookie Member

Postby Danjay21 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Blooms wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm
Passed my interview today. They emailed within 2 hours to let me know. That’s hopefully a good sign?!

Just security clearance and medical left. Those shouldn’t be an issue given the military security clearance and medical I did last year?

Really hoping for a posting in Okanagan.
That is good news! :) same thing happened to me as well when I applied for the October intake. It does take awhile to hear back for some of the final steps so do be patient. Good luck to you for the last few things left in the hiring process!

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Got a conditional offer today. Still have a couple things to finish up which should take another month or 2. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

Danjay21
Rookie Member

Postby Danjay21 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Blooms wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:20 pm
Got a conditional offer today. Still have a couple things to finish up which should take another month or 2. Cautiously optimistic at this point.
As long as everything else checks out, Voice Stress, Background check, medical, I think this is a good sign! I went through the same thing you are going through. Waiting is the hardest part.

Blooms
Rookie Member

Postby Blooms » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Did the CVSA yesterday. It’s all up to the PSSO now. And so the long and arduous wait begins. If nothing else, the whole process has been insightful. There’s still a medical to get through but that won’t be an issue for me, as I’ve completed a similar medical last year.

And I’m posting this for all those other applicants who are curious about timelines and processes. It can vary from what I’ve gathered. But I know it can help to see chatter about the process.

sanderman
Rookie Member

Postby sanderman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 am

Blooms wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:29 pm
Did the CVSA yesterday. It’s all up to the PSSO now. And so the long and arduous wait begins. If nothing else, the whole process has been insightful. There’s still a medical to get through but that won’t be an issue for me, as I’ve completed a similar medical last year.

And I’m posting this for all those other applicants who are curious about timelines and processes. It can vary from what I’ve gathered. But I know it can help to see chatter about the process.

It will take about 5-6 weeks. Live your life, enjoy it. When I did mine I hated the wait like anyone but it effected me as well. The longer you wait the better it is. If you failed the cvsa he knows and sends it off right away.