Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Newtotheblueline » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 am

noanykey wrote:Going to a bar and waving your badge in the air will get you fired instantly.

Haha no it won't, now if you arrest someone after you wave around your badge that might do it but even then you'll probably get a couple of unpaid weeks off from work. It's pretty simple, understand that you don't have Peace Officer status off-duty and you'll stay out of trouble. How exactly our powers of arrest work is explained at the JI in detail, follow them and your good.

I just wanted to point to everyone that both active members and instructors/recruitment read this forum regularly, it's important act accordingly, if you want to work for BCSS it's important not to sewer the department, social media is everywhere. If you have questions about anything, reach out to the active members here, most will be happy to answer a question or DM.

Good luck to all

Oh and a tip for you guys in the application process, learn the BCSS history and current organization, nothing worse than an applicant knowing nothing of the department he/she is asking to join. We have proud a history in BC law enforcement and you should know a little before joining.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm

There's stories about JI students in the academy who have flashed their badge around clubs just to get fired. Right or wrong, I wouldn't suggest it.
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Postby Rareform » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 pm

Yeah, we're talking about two different things. You're talking about new members going through SRT. NewtoBlueLine is talking about current members who have already passed SRT and their OJT/probationary period.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

JM985
Rookie Member

Postby JM985 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Is anyone else getting ready for interviews? I have mine early next week so am busy writing up my competencies and reading up on what I need to know. Exciting and nervous times!

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 am

learn a bit about the service before the interview.. find out the different depts within the BCSS

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 pm

noanykey wrote:There's stories about JI students in the academy who have flashed their badge around clubs just to get fired. Right or wrong, I wouldn't suggest it.
I've never heard of anyone doing that but noanykey is right, flashing your badge while in SRT at any time off-duty is a very bad idea.

JM985
Rookie Member

Postby JM985 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Well some good news! Made it past the interview. Still a few steps to go but feeling cautiously optimistic! Anyone else hear back yet?

On a side note if indeed a JI student was flashing a badge at a club that must be one dumb individual. You are not required to take the training, if you want out just pull pin and leave. But people do some dumb stuff I suppose.

BowIslander
Rookie Member

Postby BowIslander » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 am

Hey JM,

I too passed my interview. Got the request for references emailed to me on Monday, emailed the references back that evening. I found this odd because I was told in the interview that I likely wouldn't be hearing back about the interview results until later in October or even November but the email definitely said that I had completed and passed the interview stage. Congrats on making it through! Also on the cautiously optimistic side.

Cheers

JM985
Rookie Member

Postby JM985 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Hey BowIslander,

Yeah I was told the same thing in the interview but received the same email on Monday. I’m not going to sweat over it as it is good news lol. I am emailing mine in tonight, my last reference was not getting back to me about an updated phone number so had to wait on that. Congratulations to you as well! Hopefully everything goes well for both of us here. Cheers!

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:40 pm

jmangat90
Rookie Member

Postby jmangat90 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 am

Hey everyone! My timeline has been pretty similar to a few of you. Has anyone heard back after sending in their references?

JM985
Rookie Member

Postby JM985 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 am

Hey there!

Not yet, hoping sometime this week but am prepared for a bit of a wait until they have vetted everyone they are looking at so far. Congrats on making it this far though!! Exciting times!!

jmangat90
Rookie Member

Postby jmangat90 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Hey JM985!

Ya i think thats probably whats happening I just thought I'd ask. Hopefully we hear back soon!

UPRITE
Rookie Member

Postby UPRITE » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:29 pm

For everyone at the employment reference stage, did everyone progress into the next stage of the application yet?

I just wanted to check in with other applicants to see where everyone is at.

jared.poelzer
Rookie Member

Postby jared.poelzer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 pm

So I gotta ask... Since it is legal now, has BC sheriff's changed their marijuana policy? Planning on applying next opening.