Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

imascott wrote:Exactly why I posted it. If we don't get vocal about this stuff, will it ever change? Our union certainly isn't a strong one, so that's one thing the public should know when applying. Another reason to be vocal in other avenues.

Not to mention, I see recruits asking all the wrong questions. Probably becasue they don't know who to ask and how to ask it. If recruits knew even some of the issues we face, it might not change their minds on applying, but at least they will be well informed when they do. I know soo many recruits that felt lied to through the process only to get a completely different story when signing the dotted line. I aim to stop that. Yes it may be a job, but you should know what you are getting into. The positives are always well publicized, but sadly, even those are not realities for most deputies.

I'm sure Mots was trying to think before he spoke... but as we can tell... he's moving on to the mounties anyway. So we can't expect a whole lot of understanding for "Sheriff Issues".

The issues I spoke of are not secrets... and where else are you going to find that info as someone keenly looking for employment. Not on jibc.ca!

Mind you, for a lot of people, regardless of pros and cons, this step in vocation is the right one. It was for me at the time. I just had a lot of smoked blown up my ass in the process.

Well said imascott! Let's hope we have good change for the future and our future Sheriffs are aware of what's going on and want to join and can help make this a better agency!
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Well I hope they get stuff working nice and smooth, because I will definitely be considering an application very soon. In spite of the rather large pay cut 8)

Mots
Rookie Member

Postby Mots » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 pm

imascott wrote:
I'm sure Mots was trying to think before he spoke... but as we can tell... he's moving on to the mounties anyway. So we can't expect a whole lot of understanding for "Sheriff Issues".

For the record I did think before I spoke.... I don't disagree with what you said just where it was said... I guess each their own... However maybe some more information when I applied wouldn't have been so bad... I just don't think it is a bad as some see it... Oh and of course I must be oblivious to Sheriff Issues because I am looking to move on.
Application Details "E Div"
Sep 2012 RPAT
Nov 2012 Application
April 2013 File Review
May 2013 RMSI
July 2013 Polygraph
Jan 2013 Medical
Feb 2014 BGI
Feb 2014 Final Review
May 2014 Security Clearance

Troop 4
May 28th - Nov 17th 2014

RM

imascott
Rookie Member

Postby imascott » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Oh i dont think you're "oblivious," just too new or un invested to really understand. Or maybe you have a northern posting where the issues are less in the light.

I can't even say give it a few more years because we know you wont be sticking around to "make it a better place to work."
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

cadetdrpeacock
Rookie Member

Postby cadetdrpeacock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi,

I am considering looking at a starting career with BC Sheriffs. I was reviewing the application requirements and was kind of interested in the color vision testing requirements. It says that your color vision needs to be perfect. Now when I have done these color vision tests in the past, I fail the Isihara one (the color book) every time, but pass the Farnsworth D-15 every time. I know with other agencies such as RCMP, if you pass the Farnsworth you are fine. Is that the same case with BC Sheriffs?

Cheers,
E Div

Visual & Hearing: Sept 21 - 2015
Application Online: Sept 21 - 2015
RPAT: Oct 14 - 2015

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 pm

cadetdrpeacock wrote:Hi,

I am considering looking at a starting career with BC Sheriffs. I was reviewing the application requirements and was kind of interested in the color vision testing requirements. It says that your color vision needs to be perfect. Now when I have done these color vision tests in the past, I fail the Isihara one (the color book) every time, but pass the Farnsworth D-15 every time. I know with other agencies such as RCMP, if you pass the Farnsworth you are fine. Is that the same case with BC Sheriffs?

Cheers,

I honestly have no idea the answer to that question lol. Sorry I can't help. Go to the JIBC site and call the number for the Sheriffs on there. Maybe they can get you in touch with someone who would have the answer to that question.
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

cadetdrpeacock
Rookie Member

Postby cadetdrpeacock » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm

jsonmyfeet wrote:
cadetdrpeacock wrote:Hi,

Cheers,

I honestly have no idea the answer to that question lol. Sorry I can't help. Go to the JIBC site and call the number for the Sheriffs on there. Maybe they can get you in touch with someone who would have the answer to that question.

Thanks for answering though!
E Div

Visual & Hearing: Sept 21 - 2015
Application Online: Sept 21 - 2015
RPAT: Oct 14 - 2015

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 pm

You fellas get much OT?

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Code44 wrote:
fatboy wrote:Well, there is one thing over the AB Sheriffs at least!

Ab sheriffs have 495 as well...

Incorrect. The Peace Officer Act says otherwise.

And Traffic Sheriffs do not arrest under 494. Please make sure you are posting accurate info.

I have 7 years on in traffic, 9 with the department. Please PM me if you want me to clarify.

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:13 am

fatboy wrote:You fellas get much OT?

Yes, the BC Sheriffs have good OT. It depends which office you work in.

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 am

Hey many candidates get taken in roughly per year?

thanks in advance!
RCMP APPLICANT-
July19 Application Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Medical Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Medical Clearance Granted
Nov19 SC papers submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int
Feb20 Rit Int
Mar 20 Poly

Troop:TBD

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Hey many candidates get taken in roughly per year?

thanks in advance!

It depends on staffing needs. So it's always different each year. I couldn't give you a number on how many.

Jeff123
Rookie Member

Postby Jeff123 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Hello,

I am in the BC Sheriff Process for lower-mainland and was at the stage for background check. I have not yet completed my medical check or notify to do so. Does this mean I will not be accepted for the April Class?

Thank you for your time,

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Jeff123 wrote:Hello,

I am in the BC Sheriff Process for lower-mainland and was at the stage for background check. I have not yet completed my medical check or notify to do so. Does this mean I will not be accepted for the April Class?

Thank you for your time,

I am not to sure about how that works for which class you go too. It's possible your back round check is taking longer than others. I have heard of some members who were really fast and some who took longer. They will call you once all your checks are completed and you are cleared. The medical is the last step. So just wait for that call to move on to the medical. You can always call the member who is doing your check to get an update. He should have contacted you during this process. Hope that helps. Good luck!

arctys
Rookie Member

Postby arctys » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28 am

any word on how long members are having to be classed as PPT, before rolling over to F/T... 1 year?? 2??
*UK Immigration entry clearance officer*
*former BC Sheriff*

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~Leonardo da Vinci