Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:58 am

BC_Blue wrote:Thanks for the heads up tbell33 & arctys

I'm curious to know why this posting is on the BC site?
I'm guessing the process will be the same? When would those classes for the great white Canadian north start?
Would candidates already far in the process be considered for those spots?
Or would they have to jump through the loops again? :ponder:

The January class was pushed to April and there's a nasty rumor that
The April class could get pushed to maybe September?!

I'm a bit surprised that they are not offering more $$ for
Relocating up north. :smirk:

Cheers


Welcome to the BC Sheriffs. One of the most under paid forces in Canada. I hear you on the money issue!
(Sorry wrote it in the wrong area on my last posting!)
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

User avatar
arctys
Rookie Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:37 am
Location: Abu Dhabi
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby arctys » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am

any more word on the next class date for BC??? is the next possible class to be able to attend going to be April?? or September??
*UK Immigration entry clearance officer*
*former BC Sheriff*

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~Leonardo da Vinci

Vees19
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Vees19 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 am

arctys wrote:any more word on the next class date for BC??? is the next possible class to be able to attend going to be April?? or September??


I wouldn't imagine they are taking any more applicants for the April class as it takes a bit for the background check to be completed... I mean it is possible but I doubt it. I still have yet to hear though if the April class is confirmed... Last I talked to the recruiter it was "tentatively scheduled for April"... But with the BC government that can change in a second lol... :banghead:
RCMP Deferred 1 year until Nov 19 2016
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Background-June 1-June 28 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓
RCT-138 Aug29-Feb10✓

BCfiveoh
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:26 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby BCfiveoh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Any updates on the last North region posting?

User avatar
BC_Blue
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:45 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby BC_Blue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 pm

They had to reschedule the sopat because there were too many applicants.
So that recruitment will be put on hold for a bit.

According to HR
The up north requirement is different than the regular one (one being on the bc govt site and the other you send an application to the recruitment office on the mainland).

As they say. Hurry up and wait.

IMO if you want to get into the sheriffs your better bet is Alberta.
chase your dreams not the competition

cyrusdm
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby cyrusdm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:29 pm

.

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Re-classification Denied (stuck at grid 18). Workplace environment survey puts us in the lowest score in the court services branch with an overall of 50/100. Our pay and benefits were rated 10/100. Satisfaction un-guaranteed. Our satisfaction with management, 36/100. Will let you know when it gets better though. At least they pay you to train at the JIBC where you can see all the other recruits get paid double for doing similar work.
Last edited by imascott on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

User avatar
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 pm

imascott wrote:Re-classification Denied (stuck at grid 18). Workplace environment survey puts us in the lowest score in the court services branch with an overall of 50/100. Our pay and benefits were rated 10/100. Satisfaction un-guaranteed. Our satisfaction with management, 36/100. Don't bother signing up with these guys, you'll be as disappointed as every other recruit for the last 3 classes and 20 years of deputies before them. :wave: Will let you know when it gets better though. At least they pay you to train at the JIBC where you can see all the other recruits get paid double for doing similar work.


Are you a BC Sheriff yourself? Where are you getting these numbers??
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

Vees19
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Vees19 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

jsonmyfeet wrote:
imascott wrote:Re-classification Denied (stuck at grid 18). Workplace environment survey puts us in the lowest score in the court services branch with an overall of 50/100. Our pay and benefits were rated 10/100. Satisfaction un-guaranteed. Our satisfaction with management, 36/100. Don't bother signing up with these guys, you'll be as disappointed as every other recruit for the last 3 classes and 20 years of deputies before them. :wave: Will let you know when it gets better though. At least they pay you to train at the JIBC where you can see all the other recruits get paid double for doing similar work.


Are you a BC Sheriff yourself? Where are you getting these numbers??



Where is the like button on this forum ??? :pistols:

I'm wondering where he got these numbers too because were in the same Union as Sheriffs and I don't see these numbers AT ALL.
RCMP Deferred 1 year until Nov 19 2016
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Background-June 1-June 28 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓
RCT-138 Aug29-Feb10✓

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Come on guys, don't be intentionally blind. The #'s came straight from the recent WES (workplace environment survey). Maybe you didn't get that e-mail. If not, now you know where to look.

But that's besides the recent re-classification denial. :o
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

User avatar
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Never got the e-mail. I did ask someone about it and they showed me the survey. I had no idea. I agree with some of it for sure though. If you are a BC Sheriff I can understand your frustration, if not, your comment is really useless information as you are not even a member of the agency.
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:51 am

Not to get into a huge thing here, but i think the data from the WES is pretty useful information. Information that speaks volumes from your peers. Instead of asking one b.c. sheriff, they asked all of them what its like to work in that department. And out of that pool, half of them took the time to rate their experience anonymously. So when you talk about being underpaid (and i totally hear ya), maybe its good to know that your co-workers gave "pay and benefits" the lowest possible rating in all of court services. I would think forum readers would like to know how the rest of working sheriffs rate their satisfaction with the single most important reason why anybody anywhere does their job. Unless you do it for the love of smelly intakes and the stimulating conversation with cons.

So seriously, not trying to fire you up, but right now it seems like b.c. sheriffs are in an ongoing slump. But maybe this is an opportunity for you to talk pros and cons.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

User avatar
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 pm

I totally agree with you on the money part. I couldn't agree more with that issue. It's brutal and a joke. There are pros though.... just like there are cons. I am not here to sell the BC Sheriffs, I am just here to answer anyones questions if they have any about the BC Sheriffs. Also there is a lot more to this job then dealing with "smelly inmates" as you call it. Yes we deal with criminals. I think anyone applying to law enforcement knows you are going to have that aspect with the job. I am guessing you are not a member yourself as you don't seem to give a answer on that. So all I am saying is it's easy to judge something from a survey when you are not even a member yourself. I don't know if you applied and got denied, but I don't see the point in your comments if you are not interested in the agency or a member of it. I will say this though, the money issue you said is a big turn off for anyone appling and it needs to be changed fast. Couldn't agree more with you on that!
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

User avatar
BC_Blue
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:45 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby BC_Blue » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 am

imascott wrote:
So seriously, not trying to fire you up, but right now it seems like b.c. sheriffs are in an ongoing slump. But maybe this is an opportunity for you to talk pros and cons.


Regardless if he's a member or not but this quote sums it up.
The recruitment seems like a loss cause. The next class keeps getting pushed back, and the northern postings just got shut down. It's frustrating for applicants getting blue balled.
I agree with both you gents about the pay. Like I said before a northern posting would be difficult to staff because the oil patch jobs are always lucrative and you get northern allowance for living in a somewhat isolated area covered in snow.

Anyways gents , thanks for the posts !
chase your dreams not the competition

User avatar
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:30 pm

BC_Blue wrote:
imascott wrote:
So seriously, not trying to fire you up, but right now it seems like b.c. sheriffs are in an ongoing slump. But maybe this is an opportunity for you to talk pros and cons.


Regardless if he's a member or not but this quote sums it up.
The recruitment seems like a loss cause. The next class keeps getting pushed back, and the northern postings just got shut down. It's frustrating for applicants getting blue balled.
I agree with both you gents about the pay. Like I said before a northern posting would be difficult to staff because the oil patch jobs are always lucrative and you get northern allowance for living in a somewhat isolated area covered in snow.

Anyways gents , thanks for the posts !


I don't know to much about the hiring for those northern spots. If you are a applicant BC Blue and they told you that, I can understand where you are coming from. Hopefully they can get money for a class and you will get a spot! At the same time the northern postings are harder to fill. I think it's because people can suddenly leave or retire and they need people to fill those spots ASAP. It is not like Vancouver where they have hundreds of members willing to take those extra spots. I think they want people on stand by for when they need northern spots to be filled right away. That is my guess. In the end though if you don't like it just don't apply right? I hope you do get a spot though and it works out for you!
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hkhachik, N_McKenna, Tornelco and 13 guests