Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby jsonmyfeet » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:07 pm

streetsweepr wrote:Thanks!

Would you say the Sheriff recruiters are are more lenient as opposed to RCMP recruiters? Especially seeing as how they dont do polygraphs?

Definitely not. They look for the best just like any other agency. I have also heard we are moving towards putting the poly into the hiring process. If you filled out the application you would have noticed you need 24 references. Lenient is not a word I would use. Good luck!
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

streetsweepr
Rookie Member

Postby streetsweepr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:43 pm

24 References? the form I filled out doesnt ask for any.. did i miss a form??

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:07 pm

streetsweepr wrote:24 References? the form I filled out doesnt ask for any.. did i miss a form??

If you are selected to move on in the process you will get paper work sent out at which time you will need to fill that out.
"You know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

streetsweepr
Rookie Member

Postby streetsweepr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 pm

oh ok. thanks

it'd be nice if everything was up front.. So I know what I'm walking into!

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:53 pm

How is the salary, and general outlook for 2014 and on?? Any big concerns??

Vees19
Rookie Member

Postby Vees19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 pm

I just heard from an inside source today that the next class WAS scheduled for January of 2014 but due to budgetary issues and such... It is now tentativly set for April 2014 but has not been confirmed yet....This is the same thing that I was told in my interview but today...I was told that the April 2014 class might be pushed back even further now.... Im really hoping that its not any longer than April cause thats already such a long time away! Any word from any other insiders with BC Sheriffs?
RCMP Deferred 1 year until Nov 19 2016
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Background-June 1-June 28 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓
RCT-138 Aug29-Feb10✓

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Vees19 wrote:I just heard from an inside source today that the next class WAS scheduled for January of 2014 but due to budgetary issues and such... It is now tentativly set for April 2014 but has not been confirmed yet....This is the same thing that I was told in my interview but today...I was told that the April 2014 class might be pushed back even further now.... Im really hoping that its not any longer than April cause thats already such a long time away! Any word from any other insiders with BC Sheriffs?

I sent you a message back and it sounds like you got more information then me so I am sure you will have to play the waiting game!

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:55 pm

jsonmyfeet wrote:I have also heard we are moving towards putting the poly into the hiring process. !

I don't mean to be rude but I started to laugh when I read that. Not because I am opposed to the polygraph (it is a good screening tool) but because the BC Sheriff's have been talking about doing that for years yet it has still never come to fruition.

Also, as far as I was told, administering a polygraph is expensive and considering the BC Sheriff's lack of funding and staff as it is. Just seems silly to spend more money you don't have when you don't even have the numbers to run your agency up to snuff. Just my opinion though.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 am

Simplimatics wrote:

Also, as far as I was told, administering a polygraph is expensive and considering the BC Sheriff's lack of funding and staff as it is. Just seems silly to spend more money you don't have when you don't even have the numbers to run your agency up to snuff. Just my opinion though.

Which would explain why the Alberta process
Seems to be more active than the BC one.
Brutal!
chase your dreams not the competition

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:27 pm

DEP SH 15R - Deputy Sheriff
Requisition #: 17811
Department: Ministry of Justice SG
Ministry Branch / Division: Sheriff Services
Posting Close Date: 2014-01-17
Multiple Locations: Williams Lake, Fort St John, Terrace, Prince George, Prince Rupert
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Court and Judicial Services
Job Profile: Deputy_Sheriff_job_description.pdf
Job Summary:

Deputy Sheriff 15
Salary: $44,928.64 - $51,006.41 annually, plus a Temporary Market Adjustment

The purpose of this competition is to fill vacancies and establish an eligibility list for future vacancies in various cities in the North, including Williams Lake, Prince George, Fort St John, Terrace and Prince Rupert

Deputy Sheriffs are peace officers who have a highly visible role in the BC Court system. Deputy Sheriffs are responsible for maintaining security in all courthouses in the province, including protecting members of the judiciary, the public, court staff, prisoners and accused persons.

Sheriff Services Division provides for the safety and security of the Criminal, Civil and appellate courts of the province. This responsibility includes the court and court users, the public, and the safe, secure and humane treatment of persons in their care (pre and post remand). Sheriffs are also responsible for the safe and effective transportation of persons and their effects while in custody to and from the court and correctional and forensic centers throughout the province and for protecting people from harm.

The Deputy Sheriff provides security in the Courtroom, Courthouse, and holding cells; summons and administers juries; arranges for transportation and transports prisoners in custody; serves Court documents; executes court orders involving arrest; provides services to the Coroner’s Court and performs other duties. Deputy Sheriffs, as Peace Officers, operate under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Sheriff Act. They are armed with weapons and force option tools and may be required to use necessary force in the execution of their duties to protect people from harm.

Applicants must be able to obtain a valid BC Class 4 (Unrestricted) Driver's License and must be able to qualify and complete Sheriff Recruit Training. You are also required to qualify and maintain Firearms and Force Options training. Being available for shift work, call-out and standby duties as scheduled, and or required, is a job requirement and you will be required to travel by various modes of transportation (vehicle, plan, boat, etc).

We offer extensive training, growth and development opportunities; a competitive salary and benefits package; a pension plan that ranks among the best; and offer a balance between work and life commitments. We are committed to continuing to be an employer of choice and providing a professional environment where ideas work.

For further information about the post-employment training program for Deputy Sheriffs, please visit the Justice Institute website.

The Sheriff Officer Physical Abilities Test (SOPAT) will take place on January 25 in Prince George.

If you have questions about this opportunity, please contact Shane Breitkreutz by email at Shane.Breitkreutz@gov.bc.ca. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

For technical problems or problems submitting your resume, please email BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca.

For complete details on this opportunity, please review the attached job profile. Preference may be given to internal applicants. Applications may be considered for other similar current and future vacancies, including permanent and/or temporary positions in various locations. A Criminal Record Review Act check and a police record check are required.

HOW TO APPLY:

***Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.***

Resume required: YES
Cover letter required: NO (Do not submit a cover letter with your application as it will not be reviewed)

If you are interested in this position and you plan on applying, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for tips on creating or updating your profile, searching for job opportunities and applying to postings.

As part of the application process you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. You will not be able to go back at a later time to complete the questionnaire so please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume.

The BC Public Service is committed to diversity and inclusion in our workplace. As part of that commitment, we welcome and support diverse talents throughout our organization. For more information on how diversity works in the BC Public Service, please visit our diversity page.

I certify that all information submitted is true, complete and correct. I understand that any information provided by me in my application, any assessment documents or processes and/or an interview that is found to be false or misrepresented in any respect, may eliminate me from further consideration for employment or may result in my dismissal.

Qualifications:

To be considered, applicants must clearly demonstrate they have the following:

- Must possess a valid BC Class 5 Driver's License

- Must be able to obtain a valid BC Class 4 (Unrestricted) Driver's License

- Must possess a valid first aid certificate with CPR (Level 1).

- Demonstrated experience interacting with persons under difficult or stressful circumstances preferred.

- Permanent employment with the Sheriff Services Division is conditional upon the successful completion of Employer sponsored training.

- Grade 12 or G.E.D. equivalency program

- Minimum 3 years of progressive work experience.

Applicants who move forward in the process may be assessed on the following criteria:

- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.

- Ability to work under pressure and organize workload to meet deadlines.

- Ability to control hostile and dangerous behaviour, requiring maturity and emotional stability.

- Ability to use various restraining devices, weapons, and TV security cameras.

PROVISOS:

- Must be 19 years of age or older.

- Must undergo background check and medical examination.

- Must undergo fitness test and meet minimum entry standards of physical fitness.

- Will be required to complete annual firearm qualification process.

Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies contained within the attached job description.
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

arctys
Rookie Member

Postby arctys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 am

next BC Sheriff class is going to be around April, still not confirmed as to the start date...
*UK Immigration entry clearance officer*
*former BC Sheriff*

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~Leonardo da Vinci

arctys
Rookie Member

Postby arctys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 am

BC_Blue wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:

Brutal!

does it also have anything to do with the Sheriffs falling under the peace officer act versus the police officer act?? you don't usually see any peace officer positions (AB, BC, or bylaw/community peace officers) that require the poly, but all police officers do the poly...
*UK Immigration entry clearance officer*
*former BC Sheriff*

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~Leonardo da Vinci

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 am

Thanks for the heads up tbell33 & arctys

I'm curious to know why this posting is on the BC site?
I'm guessing the process will be the same? When would those classes for the great white Canadian north start?
Would candidates already far in the process be considered for those spots?
Or would they have to jump through the loops again? :ponder:

The January class was pushed to April and there's a nasty rumor that
The April class could get pushed to maybe September?!

I'm a bit surprised that they are not offering more $$ for
Relocating up north. :smirk:

Cheers
chase your dreams not the competition

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 am

arctys wrote:
BC_Blue wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:

Brutal!

does it also have anything to do with the Sheriffs falling under the peace officer act versus the police officer act?? you don't usually see any peace officer positions (AB, BC, or bylaw/community peace officers) that require the poly, but all police officers do the poly...

We don't fall under the police act, but BC Sheriffs have just been granted Special Constable status recently . This puts them more towards the guidelines of the police act. I was told the last training class was the first class to get the Special Constable training and every Sheriff in BC will get the training sooner or later. I agree with the money issue with the poly!! I think we should only use it if we have extra money kicking around, which of course the BC Provincial Gov never does lol.

jsonmyfeet
Rookie Member

Postby jsonmyfeet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 am

BC_Blue wrote:Thanks for the heads up tbell33 & arctys

I'm curious to know why this posting is on the BC site?
I'm guessing the process will be the same? When would those classes for the great white Canadian north start?
Would candidates already far in the process be considered for those spots?
Or would they have to jump through the loops again? :ponder:

The January class was pushed to April and there's a nasty rumor that
The April class could get pushed to maybe September?!

I'm a bit surprised that they are not offering more $$ for
Relocating up north. :smirk:

Welcome to the BC Sheriffs. One of the most under paid forces in Canada. I hear you on the money issue!

Cheers