Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
imascott
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Fri May 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Simplimatics wrote:
imascott wrote:It''s not like corrections! At all!

They are short staffed because the gov't will not fill the vacancies and I doubt ever will. When I was hired on we got auxiliary. Which after working for full time hours for a complete year, they had to roll you into full time position. Now to get away from the union forcing their hand, they offer part time positions that only guarantee you 50% and then they hire you for a week and lay you off for a week. They can do this because right after training they make you sign a waiver saying you are laid off after the end of every shift. Ask any sheriff from 2012. So when they say you will work 50% of the time, they will make sure it stays that way for a long time. Now... if lots of people do lots of bad stuff, and the police feel like catching them, and the crown decides they will go through with due process, you are in luck, and you may work more than 50%. But it's scarey, because you might not.

Didn't realize it was like that. Is that primarily in the LMD? I ask because most other centres I have been to - Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Prince George, Kelowna, Kamloops - seemed to pretty busy or at least consistent in presence/hours.

Things are a changing. Mounties are taking everybody from their ranks along with multiple municipal forces taking others. The BCSS have approved 75 hires for the next year. That is a ton. Don't think they have ever been this short staffed. It's only going to get worse with mounties having 200+ retirees this year. The floodgates are open and a lot of Sheriffs will leave to greener pastures.

Members wish people would not apply though. It would strengthen their case to get paid more. But we can't manipulate people who need jobs.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat May 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Do deputies have to apply as a regular member, run POPAT's, PARE's, and do everything a new recruit would have to do? or is it straight patched over?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Sat May 14, 2016 5:57 pm

noanykey wrote:Do deputies have to apply as a regular member, run POPAT's, PARE's, and do everything a new recruit would have to do? or is it straight patched over?

From what I understand of deputies that have moved over to front line policing is you'll have to go through the regular application and recruit process but with a big advantage with being a trained peace officer already. Although our training is very close to what police do, there are some big differences. We don't do high risk traffic stops like the police do, we also don't charge people. we don't have to write informations for crown and thats big part of the job. But we do have some advantages over regular applicants, being a tested and proven peace officer, with real world experience, police agencies are taking BCSS members every chance they get.

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Sat May 14, 2016 6:04 pm

imascott wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:
imascott wrote:It''s not like corrections! At all!

They are short staffed because the gov't will not fill the vacancies and I doubt ever will. When I was hired on we got auxiliary. Which after working for full time hours for a complete year, they had to roll you into full time position. Now to get away from the union forcing their hand, they offer part time positions that only guarantee you 50% and then they hire you for a week and lay you off for a week. They can do this because right after training they make you sign a waiver saying you are laid off after the end of every shift. Ask any sheriff from 2012. So when they say you will work 50% of the time, they will make sure it stays that way for a long time. Now... if lots of people do lots of bad stuff, and the police feel like catching them, and the crown decides they will go through with due process, you are in luck, and you may work more than 50%. But it's scarey, because you might not.

Didn't realize it was like that. Is that primarily in the LMD? I ask because most other centres I have been to - Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Prince George, Kelowna, Kamloops - seemed to pretty busy or at least consistent in presence/hours.

Things are a changing. Mounties are taking everybody from their ranks along with multiple municipal forces taking others. The BCSS have approved 75 hires for the next year. That is a ton. Don't think they have ever been this short staffed. It's only going to get worse with mounties having 200+ retirees this year. The floodgates are open and a lot of Sheriffs will leave to greener pastures.

Members wish people would not apply though. It would strengthen their case to get paid more. But we can't manipulate people who need jobs.

It's nuts, the mounties just lowered their standards for applicants(no pre-employemt PARE and couple other things) making it so much easier for BCSS members to move over, recruiters liked our experience before and with RCMP having a hard time attracting qualified applicants they will start taking more and more deputies. It's really kinda sad, BCSS is full of really good people and have a executive that really supports the line deputies but the allure of 20k-30k pay raise is just too attractive, especially when you live in Vancouver.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Applied!
Aiming for January 2017

I'm looking forward to this process.. I am hurrying up (in the SOPAT training sense) and waiting!

Thank you everyone for your guidance and constant PM's that I sent.. Really appreciate it.
It's up to me now! :)
SAR Member

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello there anyone know how long it takes for psso to complete
background check I did mine over a month ago and have not heard back
yet extremely worried any feedback much appreciated

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:29 pm

kasiero wrote:Hello there anyone know how long it takes for psso to complete
background check I did mine over a month ago and have not heard back
yet extremely worried any feedback much appreciated

Hey Kasiero, when I did mine I never got a pass/fail and i was moved onto the medical, and now as of yesterday I was sent another employment reference sheet to fill out. I never heard back so maybe im in the same boat as you. When I did it the first time for my job in BC Corrections (Literally the exact same thing, it took about 3-4 weeks) I'm a young guy though and haven't moved around much so i assume that's why it was pretty quick. Somebody who has more life experience might take longer. There could be any number of reasons why its taking time, the security clearance aspect of the job is EXTREMELY important so just be patient and stay positive. Let me know how it goes man :drinking:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 pm

I did an knife self defense seminar at TTC on Sunday and met someone in the same position with BCSS. Last step, waiting for confirmation.

This is so strange.. Literally 3 weeks to go before school starts.

Good luck folks!
SAR Member

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Thu May 19, 2016 8:31 pm

it is strange my references were checked in March and filled out all those
forms then, but no medical as of yet. CVSA done too. thank you all and
good luck

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:26 am

Hey Kasiero,

Just an update, I was called and given another reference sheet to fill out just before the long weekend. I was told he would call them before the end of the afternoon if I got it submitted quick enough.... Which didn't happen because a security company I worked for goes though supervisors faster then Trudeau's elbow in parliament. I was also asked if I was still willing to relocate to the land of the extra ear people... Made sure to express to me it still was not a job offer though and everything is still up in the air.

This is hear say, BUT... A friend of mine at work told me his buddy also applied to the sheriffs and was told he did not make the cut. He had ranked 23rd, and there was only 20 positions so we was differed until the next recruitment. So if you didn't hear back yet... No news is definitely good news at this point. :thumbsup: Stay positive!!

Anyways, Class in 3 weeks?! I thought it was June 23rd for the next SRT class...
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Mon May 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks for informing highland2012 hopefully it all works out, and
we start that class in june :alright:

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Got the call yesterday! I have been accepted to the June S.R.T class. Uniform sizing in the first week of June. Posted to Fort Saint John........ :drinking:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu May 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Dude.. That's awesome!!!! Congrats!

I'm going to live vicariously through you..

You should come to Judo at JIBC on Monday/Wednesdays
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu May 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Got the call yesterday! I have been accepted to the June S.R.T class. Uniform sizing in the first week of June. Posted to Fort Saint John........ :drinking:

Congrats!
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu May 26, 2016 10:56 pm

I got my letter!!!!!!...... Stating that my application is active.

Time to wait..
SAR Member