Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Newtotheblueline » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:45 pm

noanykey wrote:When you say "higher risk", what are you referring to? My inexperience in Law Enforcement and my stereotyping of the job would think Corrections would be higher risk?
Thankfully, BCSS, CVSE, BC Corrections are all going to be at JIBC tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have lots of questions answered.

That really depends on how you look at it. A prison is a very controlled environment, everything and everyone is searched(sometimes even the guards) before entering. In most jails the prisoners are stripped searched before entering, it's not impossible to bring something in but it is difficult. On the other hand a courthouse is open to anyone, people are searched but not to the extent of jails. There's a reason Sheriffs are armed and Corrections aren't, Sheriffs can't control who walks in the front doors, corrections can.

rro92
Rookie Member

Postby rro92 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 am

Newtotheblueline wrote:
noanykey wrote:When you say "higher risk", what are you referring to? My inexperience in Law Enforcement and my stereotyping of the job would think Corrections would be higher risk?
Thankfully, BCSS, CVSE, BC Corrections are all going to be at JIBC tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have lots of questions answered.

That really depends on how you look at it. A prison is a very controlled environment, everything and everyone is searched(sometimes even the guards) before entering. In most jails the prisoners are stripped searched before entering, it's not impossible to bring something in but it is difficult. On the other hand a courthouse is open to anyone, people are searched but not to the extent of jails. There's a reason Sheriffs are armed and Corrections aren't, Sheriffs can't control who walks in the front doors, corrections can.

That's a very one dimensional definition of risk though. Yes, correctional facilities are controlled in that sense, but inmates are often free to walk, eat, play, etc amongst each other, which means officers deal with aggressive inmates, fights between inmates, etc on AVERAGE I would estimate more often (key word being on average, not always) than sheriffs. I would argue there is also more risk of diseases, etc in corrections. And so on, you get my point. At the end of the day, they are have the potential for "risk"... thats just what any form of law enforcement entails

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 am

There's a pension attached :)

Anyway.. I was told that they're interviewing for June and the next class would be in 2017. I am going for Class 4 test and apply immediately after with hopes that the smallest of chances, I can run a SOPAT and start the interview for June... If not, then 2017.

Thanks to all the members that I e-mailed.. I'm looking forward to starting the process.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Passed the interview now the next step cvsa. Been waiting a while but extremly happy :D

jaredg56
Rookie Member

Postby jaredg56 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Good luck with the process kasiero. I pm'd you!

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:16 am

Sounds like there is a few of us in that boat.

My friend applied, and he did his interview at the beginning of feb and still hasn't heard anything back. I did mine later on and got a pass e-mail a week later.

While i was waiting, i was speaking to another candidate in the lobby who had just finished and he said he was informed their were about 90 applicants.... That to me sounds very low, maybe 90 who passed the sopat?

Onto the CVSA with me as well. Good luck everyone.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:20 am

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to hear back if your successful with your CVSA interview ?
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Class is in June. I'm sure you'll be finding out soon.

I'm all ready to go and I have to wait months before they'll even look at my application :( *hoping its at the top of the pile* :)
SAR Member

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 am

No word back yet, nor have my references been contacted. Getting worried!

On a plus side i passed my Class 4U the other day. Pretty stoked about having one less hoop to jump through. Anyone know if the rumour is true that IF we make it in, we all have to run the SOPAT day 1? I can pass it, its just another thing to stress about.

Thanks again everyone and good luck. :drinking:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Highland2012 wrote:No word back yet, nor have my references been contacted. Getting worried!

On a plus side i passed my Class 4U the other day. Pretty stoked about having one less hoop to jump through. Anyone know if the rumour is true that IF we make it in, we all have to run the SOPAT day 1? I can pass it, its just another thing to stress about.

Thanks again everyone and good luck. :drinking:

Maybe not day one but you'll run the SOPAT the first week and a couple more times before graduation. You will also be completing 1.5 mile run and be expected to improve your time from the first time you do it until graduation. Fitness is becoming a bigger component of the job, if you want to become a Carbine operator or instructor later in your career you'll be expected to run the SOPAT multiple times and be under a certain time.

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am

Newtotheblueline wrote:
Maybe not day one but you'll run the SOPAT the first week and a couple more times before graduation. You will also be completing 1.5 mile run and be expected to improve your time from the first time you do it until graduation. Fitness is becoming a bigger component of the job, if you want to become a Carbine operator or instructor later in your career you'll be expected to run the SOPAT multiple times and be under a certain time.

Newtotheblueline, thank you for your tips. They are invaluable, tips like this are why i come to the blueline fourm. I've upped my training and have been hitting the gym everyday in preparation for the tests... I was never UNFIT but having an idea whats around the corner really helps and motivates me to push harder. Not only for training but also for regular day to day operations if i get accepted. Just got my TB test done, and my medical is on may second. Does BC Sheriffs put every qualified applicant through the medical then make their top down selection afterwards?
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

kasiero
Rookie Member

Postby kasiero » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:35 pm

highland2012
did they call you for the medical or email you?
when did you get it as well?
let me know
thanks

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:08 am

PM sent
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Mon May 02, 2016 12:09 am

Highland2012 wrote:
Newtotheblueline wrote:

Newtotheblueline, thank you for your tips. They are invaluable, tips like this are why i come to the blueline fourm. I've upped my training and have been hitting the gym everyday in preparation for the tests... I was never UNFIT but having an idea whats around the corner really helps and motivates me to push harder. Not only for training but also for regular day to day operations if i get accepted. Just got my TB test done, and my medical is on may second. Does BC Sheriffs put every qualified applicant through the medical then make their top down selection afterwards?

If you've made to the medical then they are definitely interested in you. Fitness is becoming a bigger focus of the service, as our training becomes more like the police, they want not just smart Sheriffs but fit Sheriffs as well. Our job requires a lot of sitting and inactivity, you need to keep your fitness up after the JI to deal with the everyday exceptions of the job. At any moment you can panic alarm and you'll need to run up multiple floors to get to alarm and be expected to fight if needed. No elevators, no catching your breath before you jump in to help your fellow deputy.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue May 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Next class: January 23, 2017.. Applications are being accepted until September 15.
SAR Member