Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:50 am

Anyone know if you take the SOPAT though the LEPAT contractor where to send the certificate he gives you? In the e-mail it just says you will be contacted if you pass. But since the LEPAT guy isn't involved in sheriffs where should I send the scans and or hard copies?
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

rro92
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby rro92 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Anyone know if you take the SOPAT though the LEPAT contractor where to send the certificate he gives you? In the e-mail it just says you will be contacted if you pass. But since the LEPAT guy isn't involved in sheriffs where should I send the scans and or hard copies?


When I took an official test with him before (for a police department) he sent the certificate himself. Does he not do that for Sheriffs?

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:22 am

Nope he told me that all he gives me is the certificate and its up to me to hand in :ponder:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

User avatar
noanykey
Rookie Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby noanykey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm going to Judo on Wednesday. I train with a member that was in the last class. I'll find out how he did it if no one gets back to you.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks man! :drinking:
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

User avatar
noanykey
Rookie Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby noanykey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:04 am

Highland2012 wrote:Thanks man! :drinking:



Send in your application form with all your prerequisites.. Then they will call you for a SOPAT appointment. He waited 2 months before he did his.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

User avatar
noanykey
Rookie Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby noanykey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Serious question here

When I apply and check off Vancouver Island. I am serious to relocate, what chances would I have to get there first time?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

User avatar
BS1991
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 am
Location: British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby BS1991 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:06 pm

noanykey wrote:Serious question here

When I apply and check off Vancouver Island. I am serious to relocate, what chances would I have to get there first time?




Slim to none. There are generally hardly ever any openings, and if there are current members get first crack at it. You will more then likely be posted up north..possibly somewhere in the interior too.
Police Officer

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:17 am

Slim to none. There are generally hardly ever any openings, and if there are current members get first crack at it. You will more then likely be posted up north..possibly somewhere in the interior too.[/quote]

Have things changed dramatically? There were never any postings in the interior. Unless a ton of guys quit. It was mainly the lower mainland that took new recruits and then you had to fight over going anywhere else in the province.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:29 am

BC_Blue wrote:If it's anything like corrections then don't fret.

The posting for corrections was for part time on call.
My center was under staffed and had a high turn over rate. So the part time hours became full time hours.

Also, They were extending peoples shifts and offering OT.
(Thus the gong show of a schedule).

I've read on here that they (Sheriffs) are short staffed in most areas.
So I'm sure the new recruits will be given full time hours.
That's just my assumption

Maybe a current or former member can shed some light on that area?


Cheers



It''s not like corrections! At all!

They are short staffed because the gov't will not fill the vacancies and I doubt ever will. When I was hired on we got auxiliary. Which after working for full time hours for a complete year, they had to roll you into full time position. Now to get away from the union forcing their hand, they offer part time positions that only guarantee you 50% and then they hire you for a week and lay you off for a week. They can do this because right after training they make you sign a waiver saying you are laid off after the end of every shift. Ask any sheriff from 2012. So when they say you will work 50% of the time, they will make sure it stays that way for a long time. Now... if lots of people do lots of bad stuff, and the police feel like catching them, and the crown decides they will go through with due process, you are in luck, and you may work more than 50%. But it's scarey, because you might not.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:36 am

rro92 wrote:
Highland2012 wrote:Corrections is a good gig, not going to lie. Especially if you can get into Ford Mountain, that is the easiest job you'll ever have hands down. i'm leaning towards the sheriffs department because I would rather be in court and out in public then locked up in a jail for ever. Plus i heard that the sheriffs dept has amazing training. Another reason is the steady hours-ish after the first PTR stage.


I've heard its amazing training too, just saying it seems weird to me to go from stuck in prison to stuck in court all day. Usually we try to avoid court 88) But to each their own


Sitting in court was hard for people that don't like coffee. how else do you stay awake in those boring trials?
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

User avatar
Rareform
Seasoned Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Rareform » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:21 pm

imascott wrote:It''s not like corrections! At all!

They are short staffed because the gov't will not fill the vacancies and I doubt ever will. When I was hired on we got auxiliary. Which after working for full time hours for a complete year, they had to roll you into full time position. Now to get away from the union forcing their hand, they offer part time positions that only guarantee you 50% and then they hire you for a week and lay you off for a week. They can do this because right after training they make you sign a waiver saying you are laid off after the end of every shift. Ask any sheriff from 2012. So when they say you will work 50% of the time, they will make sure it stays that way for a long time. Now... if lots of people do lots of bad stuff, and the police feel like catching them, and the crown decides they will go through with due process, you are in luck, and you may work more than 50%. But it's scarey, because you might not.


Didn't realize it was like that. Is that primarily in the LMD? I ask because most other centres I have been to - Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Prince George, Kelowna, Kamloops - seemed to pretty busy or at least consistent in presence/hours.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Newtotheblueline » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Simplimatics wrote:
imascott wrote:It''s not like corrections! At all!

They are short staffed because the gov't will not fill the vacancies and I doubt ever will. When I was hired on we got auxiliary. Which after working for full time hours for a complete year, they had to roll you into full time position. Now to get away from the union forcing their hand, they offer part time positions that only guarantee you 50% and then they hire you for a week and lay you off for a week. They can do this because right after training they make you sign a waiver saying you are laid off after the end of every shift. Ask any sheriff from 2012. So when they say you will work 50% of the time, they will make sure it stays that way for a long time. Now... if lots of people do lots of bad stuff, and the police feel like catching them, and the crown decides they will go through with due process, you are in luck, and you may work more than 50%. But it's scarey, because you might not.


Didn't realize it was like that. Is that primarily in the LMD? I ask because most other centres I have been to - Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Prince George, Kelowna, Kamloops - seemed to pretty busy or at least consistent in presence/hours.


The LMD is only the place you see PPT positions, there's the odd one outside of the LMD but it's rare. Outside of the LMD we are busy, I'm currently working out of northern office and we see OT almost daily. This mainly because we can't attract deputies to the North as easily as they can LMD. The pay has been contentious issue, with police agencies offering so much more and cherry picking deputies whenever they can, the force is looking at some real problems with staffing in the next 5 years.

imascott
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Newtotheblueline wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:
imascott wrote:
Didn't realize it was like that. Is that primarily in the LMD? I ask because most other centres I have been to - Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Prince George, Kelowna, Kamloops - seemed to pretty busy or at least consistent in presence/hours.


The LMD is only the place you see PPT positions, there's the odd one outside of the LMD but it's rare. Outside of the LMD we are busy, I'm currently working out of northern office and we see OT almost daily. This mainly because we can't attract deputies to the North as easily as they can LMD. The pay has been contentious issue, with police agencies offering so much more and cherry picking deputies whenever they can, the force is looking at some real problems with staffing in the next 5 years.


This is true to some extent. I wouldn't say it's hard to attract guys out there. There were deputies that wanted to be in the interior, but if the funding isn't there for the positions, it's a no go.
Glad to hear you got on out there. It's a sawweeet gig in the interior and the north. Cost of living is low, and the wage is bearable if you live out there. But in the LMD, it's down right shitty.

I get on here mainly for awareness sake. I want to see Sheriffs get paid more for what they do. I work corrections now and have to say, the sheriffs job is more challenging, higher risk and the union is terrible (scabs). There is no job action with the sheriffs. They need to strike and strike big to get what they want. But they are scared genesis security is going to take their jobs. Do them a favor and stop applying. Go straight to police. That way they will be forced to pay the boys in brown more to attract candidates that can do the job.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

User avatar
noanykey
Rookie Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby noanykey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:42 pm

When you say "higher risk", what are you referring to? My inexperience in Law Enforcement and my stereotyping of the job would think Corrections would be higher risk?
Thankfully, BCSS, CVSE, BC Corrections are all going to be at JIBC tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have lots of questions answered.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HaroldW, Jojo, Majestic-12 [Bot], SemrushBot, TLalor, VexTex and 17 guests