Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
rro92
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby rro92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Hmm... I do genuinely want to help volunteer and service my community. I guess I'm just not as passionate about doing it in ways other then auxiliary policing because even though I'm sure mowing lawns for the elderly would be great, I just don't feel as if I was making enough a difference in the community. I'm actually currently in the process of transferring facilities so I can get more time volunteer, and go to school.

Theres a equestrian program starting up I'll check out helping council abused youth with the help of horses. It's starting up in abby maybe i'll jump on that train.

Thanks for constructive criticism.

You still don't get it. Good luck :wave:

rro92
Rookie Member

Postby rro92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
rro92 wrote:

Why is it a TOTAL conflict of interest? I know someone that is a CO and an auxiliary constable. Whats the difference between that and CO and victim services?

If you're serious enough, you'll find the time to volunteer. If you can't find the time, you don't want it enough. Being busy isn't much of an excuse. Everyone is busy. We all work full time, go to school, raise a family, etc and find the time

:offtopic: RRO92, the reason victim services is a conflict of interest with corrections, where as auxiliary or speed watch aren't is because of the nature of the people your focused on. Specifically as a CO you cant volunteer with victim services because you may be volunteering and counselling the victim of crime to which you go to work as a CO and police right? It makes sense if you think about it. I know auxiliaries deal with people too, but with that said your not helping victims with death certificates, not closing bank accounts and really focused on counselling, recovery and working the file for months.

Hope that helps clear it up for you.

Did a CO recruiting officer tell you this specifically or are you just giving your opinion? I'm in policing so I know nothing about corrections, nor do I care, just find it interesting they'll take an auxiliary/reserve, but not victim services :ponder:

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I was in victim services actually, then when I got a job as a CO I was informed of the conflict of intrest by the coordinator of the program. She called and got the particulars right from DSS and thus ended my volunteer work there.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I was in victim services actually, then when I got a job as a CO I was informed of the conflict of intrest by the coordinator of the program. She called and got the particulars right from DSS and thus ended my volunteer work there.

Is it not that you were also not accepted into the Auxiliary Constable program for which you applied to?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

rro92
Rookie Member

Postby rro92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I was in victim services actually, then when I got a job as a CO I was informed of the conflict of intrest by the coordinator of the program. She called and got the particulars right from DSS and thus ended my volunteer work there.

Why go from corrections to sheriffs? Not much of an upgrade

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 am

^ Better hours, The potential chances to tour facilities, safer (and I use THAT term loosely) environment, and as I asked one Sheriff in Surrey a few months ago, his response: "I won't ever work another Christmas..."

Personally, If I couldn't get into Sheriff - depending on the reason, I'd look into Corrections.
If it's volunteer thing, I'm already looking into Marine Search & Rescue.

But, as I spoke to another member here. If BCSS won't have me but CVSE will, I'll go there. :thumbsup:
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Corrections is a good gig, not going to lie. Especially if you can get into Ford Mountain, that is the easiest job you'll ever have hands down. i'm leaning towards the sheriffs department because I would rather be in court and out in public then locked up in a jail for ever. Plus i heard that the sheriffs dept has amazing training. Another reason is the steady hours-ish after the first PTR stage.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

rro92
Rookie Member

Postby rro92 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Corrections is a good gig, not going to lie. Especially if you can get into Ford Mountain, that is the easiest job you'll ever have hands down. i'm leaning towards the sheriffs department because I would rather be in court and out in public then locked up in a jail for ever. Plus i heard that the sheriffs dept has amazing training. Another reason is the steady hours-ish after the first PTR stage.

I've heard its amazing training too, just saying it seems weird to me to go from stuck in prison to stuck in court all day. Usually we try to avoid court 88) But to each their own

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I dunno about corrections being an easy or great gig

The center I was working at had a lot of politics,gossip low morale and high turn around rate.
Not to mention the scheduling which was nothing less than a gong show. The irregular hours can burn some people out and you don't have much of a social life.

The training and experience you get is always a good thing. A lot of people use corrections as a stepping stone to get into other agencies . Then there are those who have no business being there and some that are in it for the cash.

I personally wouldn't recommend corrections to anyone , but that's just me.
If you can tolerate the above mentioned and swallow that the jails are just "holiday inns" for inmates then by all means go for it (trust me when I say that they are very very privileged) .
Kudos to those that do stay.

On a side
The ccg search and rescue gig is by far the funnest job out there !
I've been with my unit for a year and it's been great
The morale and atmosphere is pretty much the same as firefighters.
If you want any info send me a pm.
chase your dreams not the competition

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:06 am

rro92 wrote:
Highland2012 wrote:Corrections is a good gig, not going to lie. Especially if you can get into Ford Mountain, that is the easiest job you'll ever have hands down. i'm leaning towards the sheriffs department because I would rather be in court and out in public then locked up in a jail for ever. Plus i heard that the sheriffs dept has amazing training. Another reason is the steady hours-ish after the first PTR stage.

I've heard its amazing training too, just saying it seems weird to me to go from stuck in prison to stuck in court all day. Usually we try to avoid court 88) But to each their own

Cops usually avoid court because they're getting roasted on the stand by the defense. Being a Deputy Sheriff is far more than being a court deputy and there's a lot more to the job than most people realize, that applies to our brothers in blue. It's true court can be the dullest day you've ever experienced but can also be the most interesting, a good trial with good counsel and a decent judge can make you want to go back to that case everyday.

On the last few posts about volunteering, it can be very crucial, it can make or break an application. I volunteered with two PD's and both constables I volunteered with helped on my Sheriff application, I can't say this strongly enough, make the time. I worked a full time job, went to SFU part-time and still found time to volunteer with PMPD and VPD, everyone can find the time.

Vees19
Rookie Member

Postby Vees19 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:44 am

Hey guys,

Im looking into applying to BC Sheriffs. Currently I'm working in the BC Government with CVSE as a full time employee... Im very interested in becoming a sheriff however I'm worried about going from a full time bc gov job to a part time bc gov job... I don't mind being on call and stuff but with a mortgage i worry that i might not be able to make enough. Does anyone know what some newer sheriffs classes are averaging for hours in the lower mainland?
RCMP Deferred 1 year until Nov 19 2016
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Background-June 1-June 28 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓
RCT-138 Aug29-Feb10✓

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am

Pretty much every Sheriff I've met has a part time job as well. I got a few with me at Rogers Arena and some who are bouncers.

if you go from CVSE to Sheriff.. You'll be taking a massive pay cut.
I'm prepping for BCSS but I'm throwing my name at CVSE as well.. Whoever will have me.
My day job will allow me to be a contractor as I'm the only one on the West Coast.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Vees19
Rookie Member

Postby Vees19 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:57 pm

noanykey wrote:Pretty much every Sheriff I've met has a part time job as well. I got a few with me at Rogers Arena and some who are bouncers.

if you go from CVSE to Sheriff.. You'll be taking a massive pay cut.
I'm prepping for BCSS but I'm throwing my name at CVSE as well.. Whoever will have me.
My day job will allow me to be a contractor as I'm the only one on the West Coast.

Good thing about being a BC Gov Employee... They are unable to give you a pay cut. For example if i am a Grid 21 with CVSE and Sheriffs are Grid 18.. They are unable to give me a pay cut. With that being said though... Going from full time to part time is kind of frightening.
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓
RCT-138 Aug29-Feb10✓

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Vees19 wrote:
Good thing about being a BC Gov Employee... They are unable to give you a pay cut. For example if i am a Grid 21 with CVSE and Sheriffs are Grid 18.. They are unable to give me a pay cut. With that being said though... Going from full time to part time is kind of frightening.

Boy, if that's true, that's a nice perk.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Vees19
Rookie Member

Postby Vees19 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Thats what a lot of guys will do.. Or so I've heard. Apparently the Sheriff Recruit Training is now recently been upped from 10 weeks to 4 months. :((
EPS Applied -Dec 23
Exam's-Feb 28 ✓
ACPAT-May 2 ✓
PDI-May 3 ✓
Medical-May 4 ✓
Psy Test-May 5 ✓
BDI-May 5 ✓
Psy Interview-May 5 ✓
Poly-May 6 ✓
Final Review-July 11✓