Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kasiero
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby kasiero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:55 am

Hi there I currently work as an armed guard with Gardaworld. Been so for the last year, do the sheriffs view this as good experience?

User avatar
noanykey
Rookie Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby noanykey » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 am

I'm not a Sheriff.... Yet :P

And while I certainly have no idea... From the many career fairs, presentations for VPD/RCMP, speaking to Correctional Officers.. Employers seem to want candidates to have had jobs for a few years. Integrity may be questioned.
I can't imagine it would hurt though.

My buddy just got hired at GW.. I was so close to applying as well. I'll regret this chance forever if I don't at least try.... a... few... hundred... times :)

There are quite a few Sheriff's that have helped me on this forum.. Ask away!

PS - rro92.. you are so right!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I work a PTR schedule which means I am on-call for my entire work week working whenever the employer wants me to. If I decline a call I can get fired so really no.. I can not volunteer. Not everyone has the luxury of having a solid work schedules. My days off range everywhere I barely get time off for school, not wanting it enough is not it at all... As for the integrity thing I think your right but you also need to know people are going to try and take steps up career wise. More responsibility, more pay and really doing what is best for the candidate and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't burn your bridges, I for one have golden references from the prison who all know my intentions of moving on. They even encourage me to do so.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

rro92
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby rro92 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I work a PTR schedule which means I am on-call for my entire work week working whenever the employer wants me to. If I decline a call I can get fired so really no.. I can not volunteer. Not everyone has the luxury of having a solid work schedules. My days off range everywhere I barely get time off for school, not wanting it enough is not it at all... As for the integrity thing I think your right but you also need to know people are going to try and take steps up career wise. More responsibility, more pay and really doing what is best for the candidate and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't burn your bridges, I for one have golden references from the prison who all know my intentions of moving on. They even encourage me to do so.


So? No one said you have to commit to an auxiliary/reserve/victim services program that requires committed shifts. You can volunteer virtually anywhere. Even if its just half an hour a week. If you get called in to work then leave. Just like if you go grocery shopping and have to leave... Or out for dinner with your family...

Like I said, if you want it, you find a way. Excuses don't get you very far in the interview

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think volunteering a half hour every week speaks to your character with enough emphasis to make a difference in job interviews.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Tango5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think volunteering a half hour every week speaks to your character with enough emphasis to make a difference in job interviews.


Then don't volunteer if you can't. Why even argue this point.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

User avatar
Rareform
Seasoned Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Rareform » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Volunteering and being apart of the community is important. But, recruiters know that not everyone has the time or money to make a meaningful volunteer commitment.

Not everyone who gets hired by any agency has volunteer experience. It's all on a case-by-case basis.

Having said that though, if you are unable to volunteer, you should have a legitimate and articulable reason.
Last edited by Rareform on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

rro92
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby rro92 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Highland2012 wrote:I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think volunteering a half hour every week speaks to your character with enough emphasis to make a difference in job interviews.


Of course it does, it shows you were busy but you still found the time to give back to your community :cuss: Either way, you're applying to BC Sheriffs so maybe its different... I just know you'd never get hired for my police department with that excuse because its never worked before. Good luck

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Tango5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Volunteering is valuable to any community and to any non-profit organization and any organization/community that depends on volunteers to operate needs some commitment and more important > planning.

If one can't commit time then it is a waste of time for the ORGAZNIZATION. Leave the volunteering to those that can.



But.. Yeah.. Finding excuses is gonna sink you.


Edit:

Feel you need to help but can't commit time?, find some older person in your neighbourhood and cut their grass once a week or something. There are ways, ..go find them.
Volunteering your time to help is not about volunteering your time to big XYZ, it is about helping in general, unconditionally, giving yourself to make others happier, making their life better and little easier as they can't help themselves... GET IT?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

kasiero
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby kasiero » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:28 am

go to a school nearby, and ask to help in coaching they are always open to extra help. Thats what I did my son's school. It looks good on the resume when you are working with youth.

rro92
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby rro92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:48 am

Tango5 wrote:Volunteering is valuable to any community and to any non-profit organization and any organization/community that depends on volunteers to operate needs some commitment and more important > planning.

If one can't commit time then it is a waste of time for the ORGAZNIZATION. Leave the volunteering to those that can.



But.. Yeah.. Finding excuses is gonna sink you.


Edit:

Feel you need to help but can't commit time?, find some older person in your neighbourhood and cut their grass once a week or something. There are ways, ..go find them.
Volunteering your time to help is not about volunteering your time to big XYZ, it is about helping in general, unconditionally, giving yourself to make others happier, making their life better and little easier as they can't help themselves... GET IT?


Exactly. But unfortunately he's too "busy" and that "wouldn't speak to his character in the interview" :roll:

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Hmm... I do genuinely want to help volunteer and service my community. I guess I'm just not as passionate about doing it in ways other then auxiliary policing because even though I'm sure mowing lawns for the elderly would be great, I just don't feel as if I was making enough a difference in the community. I'm actually currently in the process of transferring facilities so I can get more time volunteer, and go to school.

Theres a equestrian program starting up I'll check out helping council abused youth with the help of horses. It's starting up in abby maybe i'll jump on that train.

Thanks for constructive criticism.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Highland2012
Rookie Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Highland2012 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 pm

rro92 wrote:

Why is it a TOTAL conflict of interest? I know someone that is a CO and an auxiliary constable. Whats the difference between that and CO and victim services?

If you're serious enough, you'll find the time to volunteer. If you can't find the time, you don't want it enough. Being busy isn't much of an excuse. Everyone is busy. We all work full time, go to school, raise a family, etc and find the time



:offtopic: RRO92, the reason victim services is a conflict of interest with corrections, where as auxiliary or speed watch aren't is because of the nature of the people your focused on. Specifically as a CO you cant volunteer with victim services because you may be volunteering and counselling the victim of crime to which you go to work as a CO and police right? It makes sense if you think about it. I know auxiliaries deal with people too, but with that said your not helping victims with death certificates, not closing bank accounts and really focused on counselling, recovery and working the file for months.

Hope that helps clear it up for you.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby Tango5 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Highland2012 wrote:Hmm... I do genuinely want to help volunteer and service my community. I guess I'm just not as passionate about doing it in ways other then auxiliary policing because even though I'm sure mowing lawns for the elderly would be great, I just don't feel as if I was making enough a difference in the community. I'm actually currently in the process of transferring facilities so I can get more time volunteer, and go to school.

Theres a equestrian program starting up I'll check out helping council abused youth with the help of horses. It's starting up in abby maybe i'll jump on that train.

Thanks for constructive criticism.


Hopefully you can find the time you need to do whatever it is you wanna do.
Auxiliary Constable > if you cannot free up at least 14 hours per month you will not get your minimum 160 hours required.
Saying that, if you wanna be even remotely proficient at what you do, forget the 14 hour a month and triple that.
Then there is the 6 month, min 160 hour (each Sat, maybe other two nights per week) training that you just can't call in sick. FYI some detachments require 260 hours.
I guess, so much for the Auxiliary Constable program with the time you currently can spare.

If you can commit 2 (two) hours per week contact Surrey Crime Prevention Society.

< mods, may wanna split this whole thing as this has nothing to do with Sheriffs >
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

User avatar
BS1991
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 am
Location: British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby BS1991 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:13 pm

If you accept a position with the BC Sheriff's you will no longer be allowed to work as an auxiliary constable or become one. So if your heart is set on becoming a Sheriff, I'd suggest going another avenue...such as a volunteer firefighter.
Police Officer


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: epeac895, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], oxlemar, Ryanp113 and 15 guests