Durham Regional Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
rugbyguy
Rookie Member

Re: Durham Regional Police Service

Postby rugbyguy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 am

I just finished my home visit last week and was told they are hiring 15 people to start 15 Dec 2014. Waiting for the call, I was told the boards were deciding on Monday.

mattb88
Rookie Member

Postby mattb88 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 am

Anyone write the PBQ back at the start of October? Has anyone heard anything yet?

canadaways
Rookie Member

Postby canadaways » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Anybody in progress for April class has any update?

dalequetupuedes
Rookie Member

Postby dalequetupuedes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Anyone in with DRPS for April?

zia
Rookie Member

Postby zia » Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 pm

hi guy im looking to for drps do i have to write the ats test first or do i apply then write the test

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Tue May 26, 2015 11:52 pm

zia wrote:hi guy im looking to for drps do i have to write the ats test first or do i apply then write the test

Get the certificate of results from ATS before applying.

Navrick
Rookie Member

Postby Navrick » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:59 am

Hello all!

I had submitted my application just a few weeks ago, does anybody know when they plan on taking in another class? Would it be safe to say April?

newrecruit1991
Rookie Member

Postby newrecruit1991 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:32 am

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has heard back recently from the DRPS. Submitted my application in about mid October and have yet to hear anything.

stubs86
Rookie Member

Postby stubs86 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:04 am

Deleted
Last edited by stubs86 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:22 am

stubs86 wrote:I know I should be asking this in a DRUG forum but they all seem to be dated..

I'm wondering on durham's take on Marijuana use.
Do they apply the "3 year drug free" rule of thumb to filter out applicants?
My specific situation is I used to smoke Marijuana up until October 2015, and stopped to apply for a position.

If I have an interview in say mid 2016 Will I be most likely overlooked? I have no charges and am a model citizen besides light smoking. I have great experience to bring to the force just wondering if I am wasting my time with the PATI if I will be cut for weed use.

Thanks in advance

If 3 months ago, when you last smoked pot, you had been caught, would you expect to get hired in 2016? You want to get into policing so why would you knowingly do something illegal? You stopped using drugs for an application, why wouldn't you stop because it's illegal? What constitutes light smoking? One joint a month? How many times have you smoked in your lifetime? Do you buy pot or did you get it in a social setting? If you buy it, is it from a regular dealer? If so, why do you associate with drug dealers? Do you have drug dealers on your phone contact list? Do you or have you ever owed that dealer money? Where would he get his drugs from? Is he in contact with gang members or organized crime? Was it 3 months ago at a party? If you want to be a police officer, why would you be at a party with drugs being passed around? Were you drunk when you accepted the joint? When you're drunk do you often make such poor choices and decisions? Were there other drugs there? Cocaine? MDMA? Was there a dealer at the party? Or did you smoke it alone? Do you do drugs on your own a lot? Do you do drugs out of boredom?

Are those hard questions to answer?

Now if you were 3 years clear of your last drug use at a minimum, its pretty easy to show growth and maturity, that you aren't around those people anymore. 3 months ago? What's changed? Nothing.

EDIT: I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just perspective

stubs86
Rookie Member

Postby stubs86 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:18 am

Deleted
Last edited by stubs86 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:32 am

Past drug use wouldn't be the deal breaker, it's that you did it in October. Plenty of people with lots to offer who have never done drugs let alone used it a couple months ago.

DRPS Recruiting Department (905)579-1520 ext. 4341 or email at recruiting@drps.ca.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Let's look at this.....

You purchased drugs - crime
You possessed drugs - crime
You openly admit you only stopped using illegal drugs to apply for a job - stupid

That's just the "face value issues." Now let me explain the real world to you....which is how recruiting will look at it.

By you purchasing drugs (or using drugs purchased by someone else) you have contributed to money going directly into the pockets of organized crime (in this case more than likely bikers). What does organize crime do? Fraud, extortion, violence for hire, just to name a few. So whether you want to admit it to yourself or not, you have directly funded these crimes.

Tell yourself you're a model citizen all you want.....you're not.

Don't waste anyone's time applying.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

futuretps41
Rookie Member

Postby futuretps41 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Im well into my late 20s and im still grilled about smoking pot when i was 15

kated
Rookie Member

Postby kated » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:47 am

Good morning,

I applied to Durham Regional back in June of 2015 and never heard back at all from the service. I am wondering if this is normal for them? Every other service I applied for I moved onto the next stage right away. Is it true that Durham Regional only likes to hire local>?

Thank you :)