What exactly can I do to build myself/resume?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Torontonian17
Rookie Member

Re: What exactly can I do to build myself/resume?

Postby Torontonian17 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:27 pm

PHB wrote:
recceguy wrote:I have no idea what tps likes more...just take something that interests you and also gives you a fall back plan.

There's no magic formula to getting hired.

This is exactly it. There is no magic pill that you can take that will guarantee a hire onto a policing agency. If you look at the backgrounds of the last class of TPS recruits they will all be different. Some will volunteer some wont, some will be in the military and some could be textile workers. Biggest thing is plan for the best and prepare if it doesn't work out. Always have a backup.

Well that's a little demoralizing. My plan was to show them how passionate I am about not only working as on officer, but working for the TPS specifically. Of course I have a back up plan, (which is caretaking) but I'll admit most of my time and planning is spent trying to become an officer. I want this more than anything, and of course the more time and achievements I show them, the better I thought my chances would be of getting hired. I realize this is not necessarily the case, but if in fact I don't get hired the first few times, the only thing I can really do is build myself as a person, and try again. The only thing I can really hope/aim for at this point is getting hired within my first few tries.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Torontonian17 wrote:
PHB wrote:
recceguy wrote:I have no idea what tps likes more...just take something that interests you and also gives you a fall back plan.

There's no magic formula to getting hired.

This is exactly it. There is no magic pill that you can take that will guarantee a hire onto a policing agency. If you look at the backgrounds of the last class of TPS recruits they will all be different. Some will volunteer some wont, some will be in the military and some could be textile workers. Biggest thing is plan for the best and prepare if it doesn't work out. Always have a backup.

Well that's a little demoralizing. My plan was to show them how passionate I am about not only working as on officer, but working for the TPS specifically. Of course I have a back up plan, (which is caretaking) but I'll admit most of my time and planning is spent trying to become an officer. I want this more than anything, and of course the more time and achievements I show them, the better I thought my chances would be of getting hired. I realize this is not necessarily the case, but if in fact I don't get hired the first few times, the only thing I can really do is build myself as a person, and try again. The only thing I can really hope/aim for at this point is getting hired within my first few tries.

The last thing I want to do is demoralize an applicant. We need all the good people we can to apply and work as police officers. The message that I and other peace officers on here are trying to get across is that plan for the best but prepare for other options. There are a million different things that could happen between now and when you get hired. You need to be prepared to meet the future head on.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Torontonian17
Rookie Member

Postby Torontonian17 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 pm

The last thing I want to do is demoralize an applicant. We need all the good people we can to apply and work as police officers. The message that I and other peace officers on here are trying to get across is that plan for the best but prepare for other options. There are a million different things that could happen between now and when you get hired. You need to be prepared to meet the future head on.[/quote]

Alrighty, thanks for the advice!

TO_Hopeful
Rookie Member

Postby TO_Hopeful » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi,

I think you're right to focus your education as you've stated, However, when it comes to volunteer work and other extracurricular activities: branch out. More and more police services are looking for well rounded people with a wide array of life experiences. You'll be working with/for civlians from all walks of life so it's important to have experiences with all kinds of different people. It's great you're doing a lot of volunteer work with the TPS now, but try to expand on that to other areas of society.

Another big one for TPS in particular: go learn a foreign language (or two or three).

Redfields Apprentice
Seasoned Member

Postby Redfields Apprentice » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Get a trade /thread.

I got PF. Pretty well a waste of money. Especially if you can't ever get on. I work with guys who were HVAC installers, plummers, electricians, heavy equip operators, mechanics.

All the guys with trades certs make cash on the side doing work for coppers. I basically work 6 months of the year. Helping guys out with AC installs or brake jobs makes you some quick cash and lots of friends! Plus you have a plan B if policing is a no go.....

My .02 for what it's worth.
Meathead1 wrote:Now go pay your ticket you fucking bag of dicks
A.T.R. wrote: I'll be blunt.

You're a fucking retard.

Please feel free to take a sample from the bowl of dicks on the way out.