BC RCMP Accelerated Recruiting 2013 - Women only.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: BC RCMP Accelerated Recruiting 2013 - Women only.

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 pm

recceguy wrote:If you can't push or pull 70 lbs you are going to get the shit kicked out of you on the road......fact.

This is a very good point, and a study out of Winnipeg that looked at cognitive abilities after "fighting" to max VO2 showed pretty clearly that if things get physical you better get control in about 30 seconds because beyond that you are gassed, regardless of your fighting fitness level. Bigger fit subjects with higher skill levels hit harder, etc. and ended up as fatigued in the same amount of time as a smaller less skilled subject landing less blows with less force.

So if you're beside the car or outside the bar and you are hands on, you'd better have the strength and skills to get it under control quickly. And logic tells you that, in general, a bigger person will be better off in this situation.

Aunger85
Rookie Member

Postby Aunger85 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

recceguy wrote:If you can't push or pull 70 lbs you are going to get the shit kicked out of you on the road......fact.

I agree 100% with that statement. Which is why I don't think that the PARE needs to be adjusted in any way, shape or form. What I posted prior to this was merely an observation from my experiences with the PARE. It is a basic fitness test after all and many people who have failed it have also returned to pass it with the proper training regimen in the past.
RCMP
KCCO

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm not a big guy....5'9 160-165 but I'm physically fit, and have been in more than a few tilts in my day so I know what works and what doesn't.

I don't believe being a large person makes a better cop....I do believe that what is necessary is physical fitness, strength, and aggressiveness (for the times when hands on is necessary)

For you applicants reading this...if you are having any kind of problem whatsoever with the prep,a prep, whatever test it may be....do yourself a favour and hold off your application......you don't wanna be that guy that's known as a liability by your co-workers.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:11 pm

For anyone saying the police physical tests are "too hard"... they're really not.
Sugar coat your excuses all you want, but the PREP is a brisk walk in the park compared to the exertion level you will experience during police college if hired.
I'm not a police officer, but I've done workouts with officers/toured OPC/etc... and the 90 minute Crossfit / HIIT (interval style) training sessions really whip ya into shape fast.

If you find the 2-4 minutes that the PREP/PARE/APREP/ETC entails as difficult... frequent the gym more often... go for jogs... commit yourself to a lifestyle of kicking ass and chewing bubblegum.
Why? Because one day you may be faced with someone who doesn't like your authority level, but owns all the p90X DVD's.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't believe for a minute that height is an issue with the pare's push pull, I really don't. The fittest guy in my troop was shorter than all of the ladies and he could basically make a straight diagonal line with his body from the floor to the handles and dance around the thing. He had the fastest pare time in the troop and the fastest beep test.

It's really about muscle mass and V02, and the amount required to complete the pare is not that much. Male or female. Realistically applicants in their 20's and early 30's should be doing it in the low to mid 3 mins. Any applicant that is running it in the 4's should rethink whether they are ready.

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Postby cyrusdm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm

There should be physical strength requirements in depot that are standard....aka - the same for both males and females, regardless of size.

I have a real problem with any person becoming a police officer when they can't brute force there way out of a wet paper bag. There currently is NO strength requirement at Depot...which is pretty disgusting. 150 lb males graduating that cant do 10 pushups? 150lb females graduating that can't bench 60 lbs? I'm sorry, but strength is a policy safety issue.

On top of that, I'm pretty disappointed that in my Depot experience, they put the fit, skilled fighters vs each other and the weak, completely useless fighters against each other. That is NOT how it works in the real world....why not put a strong, skilled cadet against the useless cadet just so they can experience panic and a real ass kicking in a controlled environment, rather than in the field.

dafloof
Rookie Member

Postby dafloof » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm

cyrusdm wrote:There should be physical strength requirements in depot that are standard....aka - the same for both males and females, regardless of size.

I have a real problem with any person becoming a police officer when they can't brute force there way out of a wet paper bag. There currently is NO strength requirement at Depot...which is pretty disgusting. 150 lb males graduating that cant do 10 pushups? 150lb females graduating that can't bench 60 lbs? I'm sorry, but strength is a policy safety issue.

On top of that, I'm pretty disappointed that in my Depot experience, they put the fit, skilled fighters vs each other and the weak, completely useless fighters against each other. That is NOT how it works in the real world....why not put a strong, skilled cadet against the useless cadet just so they can experience panic and a real ass kicking in a controlled environment, rather than in the field.

Agree 100%
Regular Member "K" Division 2010-2013.
Calgary Police Service 2013 - present

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 pm

mack_silent wrote:For anyone saying the police physical tests are "too hard"... they're really not.
Sugar coat your excuses all you want, but the PREP is a brisk walk in the park compared to the exertion level you will experience during police college if hired.
I'm not a police officer, but I've done workouts with officers/toured OPC/etc... and the 90 minute Crossfit / HIIT (interval style) training sessions really whip ya into shape fast.

If you find the 2-4 minutes that the PREP/PARE/APREP/ETC entails as difficult... frequent the gym more often... go for jogs... commit yourself to a lifestyle of kicking ass and chewing bubblegum.
Why? Because one day you may be faced with someone who doesn't like your authority level, but owns all the p90X DVD's.

They are not hard enough really. As well, everything I have read on these forums lead to the belief that training, especially Depot, makes the Pare look like a cake walk.
K division.

Bauer
Rookie Member

Postby Bauer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:51 pm

cyrusdm wrote:There should be physical strength requirements in depot that are standard....aka - the same for both males and females, regardless of size.

:stupid:
I pray to God he's a troll....surely an applicant can not be this stupid. argyll
you're fucked. Go work at mcdonalds. We don't need idiots like you. meathead1

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Tango5 wrote:
Steelie_king wrote:APREP is harder than the PARE by far. You could walk the PARE and still pass.

APREP has an added grip machine, plus a body pull. It has a fence like thing in which you have to haul yourself over.

I am sorry. I was thinking of POPAT not PREP :oops:
Thanks for your thoughts tho.

So, PARE vs POPAT anyone?

They are very similar. The POPAT saves all the vaults and the falls for the end, so you can move faster on the laps, but you have to do 10 vaults alternating falling front and back after you do the push/pull, which is 80 pounds. The obstacle course is pretty much exactly the same. And there is a 100 pound bag lift and carry at the very end, I think it's 30 metres you have to carry the bag without dropping it. And I've seen people drop it and fail the whole test.

perseveringapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby perseveringapplicant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

No way! The POPAT is SIGNIFICANTLY more harder than the PARE!

The POPAT is difficult in the following ways:

-the mat you have to clear is longer
-the stairs has one extra step?
-when you knock over an obstacle, you have to reset it and do that particular segment again as opposed to the PARE where you get docked maybe one second, etc.
-the push/pull machine is HEAVIER; you can only do SPECIFIC techniques while dealing with this machine (no crossing of your feets are allowed); you have to do this in a SPECIFIC order (pull first, then push); and, above all, you have to RESET from the VERY BEGINNING at the first ark if you lose control of the weights and drop at ANY ark
-the implementation of the vault at the end of the obstacle is more brutal than having to deal with it during your obstacles like in the PARE -- you'd be running on steam by the time you are at this final portion of the testing
-And, you have to carry the bag carry in a SPECIFIC way
-and to top it off, most POPAT's -- or at least in the GVR -- are accompanied with a 2.4 K run.

My physical background is playing on an adult league soccer team. I have done the PARE and POPAT this year, and I easily passed the PARE at 3:44; however, I failed the first POPAT, and I had to actually implement a more rigorous fitness plan to successfully pass the POPAT on the following try with a decent time.