The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thanks

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
el_prez
Grand Poobah

Re: The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thank

Postby el_prez » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 pm

klee519 wrote:I know there are some recruiters are extreme bias. I had an interview with Toronto police, this coksucker actually told me to go back to my own country.
My advice to you is keep trying other agencies.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on this forum for at least a week.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm

el_prez wrote:
klee519 wrote:I know there are some recruiters are extreme bias. I had an interview with Toronto police, this coksucker actually told me to go back to my own country.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on this forum for at least a week.

If that happened to this guy and that complaint was substantiated it would be a big deal. I highly doubt that happened.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

flamz
Rookie Member

Postby flamz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Once you get past being qualified enough to do the job. I imagine luck playing a huge role- its all in how you sell yourself that day. Maybe someone was just as qualified as you were, but he talked the talk better than you had. Maybe you had a nervous day and let it get the better of you.

As long you continue to improve yourself, you will only get smarter, fitter and wiser as time goes on.

BC_Blue
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Blue » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am

Aberdee wrote:At this stage in my life I am not sure why I am not a competitive candidate but the bottom line is that I simply am not making progress, often being eliminated at the LFI Stage, making it to the ECI once. I have applied for various departments.

For me, the most frustrating part of the application process is a lack of direction. I would have loved some feedback and guidance from an officer. I have no family in LE, no mentoring or help from someone in LE. This has all been about trial and error for me, including the long wait times between applications every time I failed at a given stage.

It's competitive out there!

I am 33 now and I been trying hired, off and on, since 28 years of age or so. I am not one to give up on anything but I believe it is time to “throw in the towel”.

I will say that even though I have not successfully been hired as a police officer, the competitiveness and desire to be in LE benefited my life and I am better for it in the following ways.

- completed a university degree, graduating with a 10.7/12 average. (I already had college)

- Great career (I am a Manager for Bell Canada)

- volunteering (2 places currently and enjoying it). Previously I was a volunteer fire fighter for close to 10 years.

- I tutor at the local university

- Much improved physical fitness (running ½ marathons and loving it)

- I created new social circles (cut out dead beats / drug users / etc out of my life)

- Cleaned up my driving record

- Goals and achievement oriented.

I have no criminal record. I did some stupid things in my youth (16 - 19) but I have never tried to cover that up and always told the truth. I have never touched drugs (not even pot) for what it’s worth.

My point…. To all of you applying out there, everything I have done to become competitive has not mattered and I cannot get hired. And I hope you benefit from my story.
Tip: You may want to pickup a second language. It could help.

GOOD LUCK!

i know how you feel and alot of people have posted brilliant feedback on here.

the emergency services (EMS FIRE POLICE ARMY COAST GUARD etc) is one tough coconut to crack!

im just as frustrated when i get emails that say "please check our site under how to be a more competitive applicant"

im pretty much around the same age as you, have a university degree, fluency in 5 languages, Was in the Canadian forces
for search and rescue, got my EMT, and Fire Rescue Courses. I also have 5 years working in a security company contracted for the RCMP cells and govt buildings. Played Football throughout college & university . clean driving background and background.& volunteered several times for different organizations .....
im not trying to have a peeing contest with you or anybody on here. I can never score an initial package from a police dept.
Its frustrating not knowing what else you can do to be more competitive?
I've invested in books and websites to help boost my chances and ...nothing
ive tried ambulance firefighting coast guard and policing. I'll admit i have done well through the firefighting process but always end up on the short list that ends up being exhausted. im choked coz im right there at the door but nobody lets me in!!

Theres people in Fire Fighting that have been waiting 5 years or more to get on
same goes with Ambulance & the coast guard
and Policing is the same with people often waiting years to get on any force.

it is a very frustrating process but a very sweeet victory in the end
rejection is always aweful but when the ppl around you are in shock and look like this :crazy: :rage: :banghead:
then you realize, hey its their loss, on to the next one.

i have this small poster of Michael Jordan in my room that has the quote:
"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed"

keep at her & keep your stick on the ice

:boxer: :swords: :alright: :drinking:

Last edited by BC_Blue on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chase your dreams not the competition

TwistedRail
Rookie Member

Postby TwistedRail » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Nice graphic. I think a few years back when I knocked and aviation's door and didn't get invited in (all for the best now, to be honest) I thought like the first part of it. Now I've gotten some life experience and, what they don't teach in schools, is that success comes through multiple failures!
Former CP and CN Conductor, attempting to join the railway police services.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:05 pm

opp2 wrote:

Prolly cuz you couldn't spell COCKSUCKER properly.

That would be an automatic deferral if I was interviewing this guy. LOL

agclarke@istar.ca

imascott
Rookie Member

Postby imascott » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:48 pm

This is a really good thread. Definately required reading. I like that one point about not putting your life on hold when you are applying. And dont pigeon hole yourself into one form of LE. Its all the same clients anyway. Maybe you would make a better sheriff, CO, cop, border agent, whatever. But press on guys. *Insert inspiring cliché*
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

Irene
Rookie Member

The Coast Guard: Some Advice and Thanks

Postby Irene » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:33 am

Hello Everyone:
My name is Irene. I'm an Aboriginal Justice Studies Graduate from Native Education College. I was thinking about applying to CBSA as an Officer Trainee. However, I'm now having second thoughts because I have a physical disability, and can't drive or operate a government vehicle. Instead, I was thinking about applying to be a Marine Communications and Traffic Services Trainee. Does anyone know what type of questions they ask on the Marine Communications and Traffic Aptitude Test, or what a person needs to know in order to pass ? If you do I would love to receive a reply from you.

P.S. I love all of your posts. Thank you. Irene :angel:

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 pm

argyll wrote:I am the only copper reading this thread going "How the hell did I get on ?" !!!

It was a different age and time long long ago. LOL

agclarke@istar.ca

curious9
Rookie Member

Re: The Coast Guard: Some Advice and Thanks

Postby curious9 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Irene wrote:Hello Everyone:
My name is Irene. I'm an Aboriginal Justice Studies Graduate from Native Education College. I was thinking about applying to CBSA as an Officer Trainee. However, I'm now having second thoughts because I have a physical disability, and can't drive or operate a government vehicle. Instead, I was thinking about applying to be a Marine Communications and Traffic Services Trainee. Does anyone know what type of questions they ask on the Marine Communications and Traffic Aptitude Test, or what a person needs to know in order to pass ? If you do I would love to receive a reply from you.

P.S. I love all of your posts. Thank you. Irene :angel:

There are math questions, spatial reasoning questions, coding, etc. It's not a particularly difficult test and they're hiring now. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try!
RCMP Nova Scotia Applicant
RPAB – 2014-02
Selection Package – 2014-02
PARE – 2014-06 Passed
RMAQ – 2014-04 Passed
RMSI – 2014-05 Passed
PEP – 2014-07 Passed

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:02 pm

I created this post over 8 months ago. I am now 34. It has taken me 6 years of off and on focus and determination, to gain the life experience needed to become a competitive recruit candidate and change my life around. Of course, this post and general Blue line reading has kept me inspired.

I recently passed the ECI with a major department, a very difficult interview. I have never progressed this far in in the recruitment process. Here's hoping I pass the Pysc and BGI, but...

As long as I am not crazy or lying, maybe, just maybe, I may realize my dream of becoming a police officer :dropjaw:. Thanks to all who supported me in this thread. Hopefully it is helpful to you and others who read it.

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Aberdee wrote:I created this post over 8 months ago. I am now 34. It has taken me 6 years of off and on focus and determination, to gain the life experience needed to become a competitive recruit candidate and change my life around. Of course, this post and general Blue line reading has kept me inspired.

I recently passed the ECI with a major department, a very difficult interview. I have never progressed this far in in the recruitment process. Here's hoping I pass the Pysc and BGI, but...

As long as I am not crazy or lying, maybe, just maybe, I may realize my dream of becoming a police officer :dropjaw:. Thanks to all who supported me in this thread. Hopefully it is helpful to you and others who read it.

Good to hear. All the best.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Great to hear that things are progressing for you! Good luck!