The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thanks

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
TPS11
Grand Poobah

Re: The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thank

Postby TPS11 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm

klee519 wrote:I know there are some recruiters are extreme bias. I had an interview with Toronto police, this coksucker actually told me to go back to my own country.
My advice to you is keep trying other agencies.

HAHA You are completely full of shit

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Shawshank wrote:Just so I am clear, because I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this - some guy rips of the CAF and thus the government of 12000 dollars and still is offered employment. While at the same time, you refer this to the police and YOU get your ass chewed out?

Because I didn't ask their "permission" to report it to MP's, I just went and did it (my supervisor specifically told me I need to ask permission to report anything to the MPs....choosing my words very carefully I basically told him that line of thought was RTFOTL). Reason being my bosses had already dealt with this dummy on 2 prior occasions, knew about the fraud (he told them), and they never reported it themselves. Basically, me reporting made them look like idiots, but that's not my problem, they blatantly ignored the provisions of QR&Os (basically the highest law in the CF) under duties and responsibilities of Officer and NCM (basically enforce all regs, prevent waste of public property, report infactions to appropriate authorities). There is even a DAOD (one step under QR&Os) specifically addressing fraud, "The DND and the CF shall not tolerate fraud within the DND or the CF and shall: aggressively pursue suspected fraud at any level;" I looked this up before making the call to the MPs as a CYA, and provided same to my boss, which combined with the MP's speedy response effectively shut them up.

Also he wasn't being offered employment (yet), he was just reapplying for a 2nd time.

Basically apathy abounds in the CAF.

Sorry for the tangent.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sun May 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:48 - I really hope you aren't in the CF currently. If you have that much disdain and general disgust with the CF, recruiting methods, etc. etc. etc. then quit and stop posting about it... unless you're trying to make everyone that wears the uniform look like a bag of crap?

I am sorry how long have you been in the CF? Have you worked in Recruiting? I was in for 12 years. The only thing I have disdain and disgust for is the general apathy that exists in many facets of the CAF (including recruiting). I am not the only one. Go on army.ca, there are literally hundreds of posts, by numerous people talking about all sorts of stupidity that is allowed to exist. People who shouldn't make it through the recruiting process because they submit half filled in, illegible paper work, but get pushed on to the merit lists and are selected. People who should fail off of courses, but aren't (example PLQ run between 08-10), people who should be put on administrative action because they are obese and get winded walking up flights of stairs, but aren't because "they are good at their job".

You need to drop the sanctimonious attitude. I am proud of the CAF and generally it's members. What I take issue with are people, who have the ability to rectify the problems I listed, but don't because of insert whatever stupid BS excuse you want. In our capacity as file managers (and also because several of us had been through the ringer with various police services, and couldn't tolerate how lax the CAF is in comparison), we would try to prevent as many "klees" from getting through as possible. Very rarely were we successful.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sun May 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Sun May 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Anyone who has operational experience can rant all they want.....they've earned that.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Nice cop out on answering how much time you have in the CAF....real nice.... :roll:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon May 06, 2013 4:59 pm

basketcase wrote:Nice cop out on answering how much time you have in the CAF....real nice.... :roll:

Well, according to his own posts in December 2011, at that time he was not yet 18, i.e., not old enough to go to an RCMP career presentation, and wanted to know if it was an "adult accompaniment" sort of thing... So I'm going to say his time in the Canadian Armed Forces is, shall we say, limited.

Jigster01
Rookie Member

Postby Jigster01 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:42 am

I've been lurking on Blueline for years but this is the thread that finally made me speak. I can relate significantly to several of the responses and want to share my experience.

I decided a few years ago that I wasn't happy with what I was doing. I was interested in Policing so I quit my job and went back to school. I blew a 97% GPA out my back end which surprised even my own mother (I was a terrible student in high school, but maturity and an interest in what I was learning went a long way). Following that, I got a job doing in-house hospital security with the local health region. I also work for an armoured truck company. I am grateful for the experience I gained from it; when I went back to school I wanted out of the cubicle farm and in to the real world. I got that, and along the way I had a reality check: it’s not about what you’re doing - it’s how you’re using the experiences in your life to make you a better person (and applicant).

I still enjoy both my jobs but look at them differently. My experience in the health care system has made me consider a career in nursing or addictions, and I recently expressed interest in applying my previous management experience to an out-of-scope position within the armoured truck company I work for.

Do I still want to be a Police Officer? Some times I'm not sure any more because my attitude towards it has changed as I've matured. I don’t want to say that I've lost my motivation because I am still interested in pursuing it. However, I have identified and am working on personal traits that I’d like to improve upon, which I only realized as a result of applying and being deferred. I suppose you could say that I've gone from a kitchen table full of scattered application paperwork to humbly waiting for my time to shine.

I agree that the process is just as much luck/timing as it is qualifications. I've applied for a variety of positions along the way (Sheriff, University Special Constable, etc.). There are limited positions and piles of applicants all wanting the same thing. I've looked out of province at other opportunities but I don’t really want to move too far from home. This limits my options but it’s a choice I've made with my life. You are only limited by how far you want to take things. For me it’s been a combination of accepting where I am at in life, what I need to work on and that the opportunities in my area are limited. I've also learned a few lessons in professionalism and grown as a result of each interaction I've had with recruiters along the way.

I was somewhat delusional about the competitiveness and work that it takes to get in to Law Enforcement. Police Services hire the best of the best and it took me a while to understand what that meant. I will keep applying for the next best thing as it comes up, look at ways to better myself whenever I can and keep plugging away until I get what I want out of life, Law Enforcement or not. I've only been going down this path for 2 1/2 years. I am content and proud of the progress I have made in my personal life and am constantly fuelled by the thought “what will I be doing 2 1/2 more years from now at the rate I'm going”.

In there is my advice to other applicants who are in the same boat.

CFO580
Rookie Member

Postby CFO580 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am

Excellent response. Excellent first post.

Both this, and the OP's original response are admirable.

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Fri May 17, 2013 9:33 pm

CFO580 wrote:Excellent response. Excellent first post.

Both this, and the OP's original response are admirable.

Agreed, both posters have earned my respect.
**CBSA Officer**

TwistedRail
Rookie Member

Postby TwistedRail » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm

I also want to thank the OP and Jigster for those posts.

I can relate to both of them. I could easily be described as either ambitious, or stupid - depending on your philosophical slant. Straight out of high school I entered into commercial aviation. Of course, this was post 9/11 so that industry was on the downward slide at the time and I don't think it ever has, or ever will really recover. The lesson in aviation hadn't been learned yet.

Deciding to try another path, I went to the railway. I took the railway conductor courses offered (one by SAIT and BCIT, I think there are others but I'm not sure) and my aptitude in this field showed - I scored the second highest GPA the program has ever seen (I was beat by a classmate who scored 0.2% higher than me or something silly). I still work with the BCIT classes as they come through Port Alberni on their practicums and I have been informed that I still hold second place. I was hired before the class ended by Canadian Pacific and worked there for a year and a half before what I thought was the golden opportunity - to go back home.

I've seen it written here before, someone wrote a very entertaining post about the geographical make up of a typical RCMP troop. I had a hearty laugh at the Maritimer one because it is true! For some odd reason we always try to return home! I was no exception. CN began hiring for the first time (in Halifax) since the massive strike in 1995. I thought it would be a good idea to go take on 20 years of instant seniority. Bad idea. Lesson learned: the grass is not always greener. I was laid off after six months for what seemed like forever.

It was a seven month layoff, all said, but by the time the recall had come I had already left. A person has to do what a person has to do and the EI wasn't cutting it. I had a mountain of student loans from commercial aviation. I enlisted.

Things I have learned up until this point in my life story:
1) Sometimes what seems like a good plan isn't a good plan,
2) It never hurts to try,
3) Patience is a virtue (still working on this one, it's getting better).

I joined the military and learned a lot about myself I'd never known before. Chiefly among those were that I could actually get through BMQ. Up until that point, I was of the belief that I'd never make it and that my application to the CF was a long shot.

My time in the CF has been turbulent, to say the very least. I did get through BMQ, but barely, I'm sure of it. I had a very tough time on my basic trade training (it was an intense six months of academics, followed by six months OJT), and I still struggle with my job from time to time (weather dependent, I'm a Met Tech).

The learning continued:
4) Meteorology is not as interesting to me as I once thought,
5) I dislike cubicles. I now find myself longing to be out "in the field", but not the military sense of the word, I mean back out on the trains,
6) I CAN get through BMQ - can I get through police basic? This remains to be seen, but I'll fight for the chance!

Then the revelation:

I had begun volunteer work in Port Alberni on the Alberni Pacific (short, volunteer-powered tourist railway). Seeing people step in front of me in the big leagues (CN, CP) was just mind boggling to begin with, but then I realized this is a problem every railway faces. I'm now trying to get involved in Operation Lifesaver, but there is precious little left on Vancouver Island for the railways, so that might not happen. It did re-light the railway police officer fire though.

My (long winded) point is that it's all a journey of self discovery. Finding your limits and determining whether or not you can push those limits. Also that life is too short to do something you don't like doing on a nearly daily basis. I still believe you should enjoy your work! If law enforcement doesn't work out, something else will, and who knows, I might learn to love the job I have now! Time will tell, in the meantime, I think I can continue to assist Blueline railway police hopefuls by sharing my running trades experience. Even if I don't make it, if I can help someone who does, then that's good too!

Cheers!
Former CP and CN Conductor, attempting to join the railway police services.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 pm

There is a level of maturity and self-awareness in this thread that should make it required reading for every applicant on here. Thanks to all who have posted their experiences here.

CFO580
Rookie Member

Postby CFO580 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 am

GoodWitness wrote:There is a level of maturity and self-awareness in this thread that should make it required reading for every applicant on here. Thanks to all who have posted their experiences here.

Agree.

rayray
Rookie Member

Postby rayray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm

blah blah blah

“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.”
― Michael Jordan
if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten