The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thanks

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Aberdee
Rookie Member

The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thanks

Postby Aberdee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 am

At this stage in my life I am not sure why I am not a competitive candidate but the bottom line is that I simply am not making progress, often being eliminated at the LFI Stage, making it to the ECI once. I have applied for various departments.

For me, the most frustrating part of the application process is a lack of direction. I would have loved some feedback and guidance from an officer. I have no family in LE, no mentoring or help from someone in LE. This has all been about trial and error for me, including the long wait times between applications every time I failed at a given stage.

It's competitive out there!

I am 33 now and I have been trying to get hired, off and on, since 28 years of age or so. I am not one to give up on anything but I believe it is time to “throw in the towel”.

I will say that even though I have not successfully been hired as a police officer, the competitiveness and desire to be in LE benefited my life and I am better for it in the following ways.

- completed a university degree, graduating with a 10.7/12 average. (I already had college)

- Great career (I am a Manager for Bell Canada)

- volunteering (2 places currently and enjoying it). Previously I was a volunteer fire fighter for close to 10 years.

- I tutor at the local university

- Much improved physical fitness (running ½ marathons and loving it)

- I created new social circles (cut out dead beats / drug users / etc out of my life)

- Cleaned up my driving record

- Goals and achievement oriented.

I have no criminal record. I did some stupid things in my youth (16 - 19) but I have never tried to cover that up and always told the truth. I have never touched drugs (not even pot) for what it’s worth.

My point…. To all of you applying out there, everything I have done to become competitive has not mattered and I cannot get hired. And I hope you benefit from my story.

There is some fundamental flaw which eliminates me from becoming a police officer, and I really really tried to get hired. In truth I have no idea what eliminates me from being competitive. Perhaps I decided to try for LE too late in life. I received a ticket for an expired sticker on Aug 2012... (good one :banghead: ). This could be enough to keep me out I suppose. Shows bad judgment and a disrespect for law, regardless of the cause or excuse as to why it happened. Yes 1 ticket can eliminate you... Depending on it's frequency.

Wrapping this up, I appreciate the effects attempting to become a PO has had on me personally. I am a common reader of this forum but rarely post. I thank those who commonly contribute to help "people like me". Especially CO and Meathead with their straight forward advice in other posts they respond to.

To those of you out there applying. If you have any hope of getting in, stay clean and don't mess up. You will not get in if you do. Remain focused on your goal. Every flaw in your character will cause you to be uncompetitive. 100's of other applicants are competing against you. If they are better than you, you’re out plain and simple. It’s not just about you, it’s about you, your family, your friends, your actions and your moral character. No, I am not joking. Tip: You may want to pickup a second language. It could help.

GOOD LUCK!
Last edited by Aberdee on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Re: The Sad Truth - Cannot Get Hired - Some Advice and Thank

Postby cyrusdm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 am

When I applied I had 3 tickets within a 2 year period. An expired ticket, fail to provide DL and a speeding ticket.

I don't think its your ticket that prevented you from being successful. Must be something else.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

Agreed with Vansmack, and congratulations to the OP for all the forward progress they have made in their life, regardless of their frustrations in the application process. Kudos to you, sir....

Your personal preparation as a candidate is only half of the staffing picture.... the other half is the vagaries and black magic of the staffing department itself, and the corporate staffing needs they are trying to satisfy...... things change on the fly, that are COMPLETELY outside anyone's control, and it's a difficult job at the best of times to try and match staffing processes with these shifting winds.

To the OP...... keep on trying, eventually something will stick, and as VanSmack said, perhaps a candid conversation with your most recent recruiter can shed some light on what's going on.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Cambli
Rookie Member

Postby Cambli » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

I had to chime in here and agree that it's often timing and chance that play a role......If you want it enough, and it's truly for you, keep trying until you're at retirement age.

I won't ever stop trying. This is personal for me.

But to each their own, and kudos for (perhaps) realizing it might not be the only career that will make you happy inside. That takes courage.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 am

Nice to see this post. I was certain it was going to be a run of the mill "I'm the best candidate ever why am I not getting hired" but I was pleasantly disappointed.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am

You don't need to throw in the towel. Five years of trying is a long time but it's not out of the ordinary, and it's not like you have to put your life on hold because you've got an application in.

As others have said, seek some real feedback from a recruiter. I'm not really familiar with the process in Ontario but around here, we will tell you if further applications would be welcome or not and if you're wasting your time we'll tell you. But you are correct, it is competitive and there are many factors out of your control. Good luck.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

As someone who has decided that a career change just isn't happening (stage of life, financial obligations, family, etc.) but still spends waaaay too much time on this forum, you've summed it up nicely for your own situation but also for others who are discouraged.

Ask yourself this question:

What is the worst thing that will happen if I take the advice mentioned here today (get in touch with your most recent recruiter contact and ask for feedback) and continue working towards this goal?

Hmm, let's see...

I continue to pursue educational opportunities to better myself, improving my career prospects and broadening my understanding of the world around me.

I continue to increase my fitness level; maybe a full marathon becomes a new goal?

I keep a clean driving record - no money wasted on fines, lower insurance costs, enhanced safety for me, my family and others on the road.

I continue to help others around me, and enjoy it - tutoring at the university and volunteering, meeting new people, getting a positive feeling from helping others.

I persevere and hit that sweet spot where I finally AM the best person for the job.

Many people on here will tell you of successful applicants in their 40's, you are only 33. If I was your age there would be no question that I'd be pursuing a new career. You may feel like you've been at it forever, and I'm not suggesting you should let it take over your life, but find out if there is a "fatal flaw" that you're unaware of, and if there isn't, then keep at it.

In twenty years if you're not a cop, you'll either look back and know you gave it your best shot and it just wasn't meant to be, or you'll look back and wonder "what if..."

Trust me, "what if's" suck. Avoid them at all costs.

redridinghood
Rookie Member

Postby redridinghood » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Aberdee wrote:- Great career (I am a Manager for Bell Canada)
u]

Tony? Is that you???

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm

I normally don't offer a lot of positive reinforcement on this board as frankly, I don't normally feel it's worth my time. That said....after reading your post, like Meathead, I was also pleasantly surprised at your mature attitude.

I will offer this advice....don't give up. From what I've seen getting hired is as much about being in the "right place at the right time" as it is about stacking your resume sometimes. One ticket isn't going to defer you....I have a speeding ticket, got a fail to stop at stop sign ticket a year or so ago and I got hired.

Keep at it....times are tough for getting into policing these days, but at some point in the future it can only get better.

Well I've dragged this post on long enough.........optimistic Recceguy out
Last edited by recceguy on Sun May 04, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 am

I would second what Recce Guy has said in the above post. The attitude that you displayed is the kind that is needed in policing. Someone that recognizes mistakes and improves on them. Believe me if you get into polcing lots of mistakes will be made.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Cambli
Rookie Member

Postby Cambli » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

recceguy wrote:I normally don't offer a lot of positive reinforcement on this board as frankly, I don't normally feel it's worth my time. That said....after reading your post, like Meathead, I was also pleasantly surprised at your mature attitude.

I will offer this advice....don't give up. From what I've seen getting hired is as much about being in the "right place at the right time" as it is about stacking your resume sometimes. One ticket isn't going to defer you....I have a speeding ticket, got a fail to stop at stop sign ticket a year or so ago....and without going into details, I was charged criminally when I was in my early 20's.....and I got hired.

Keep at it....times are tough for getting into policing these days, but at some point in the future it can only get better.

Well I've dragged this post on long enough.........optimistic Recceguy out

WAY TO GO!!! Very inspiring!

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm

(a little tongue-in-cheek): Maybe it was the firefighter time that ruled you out?

In all seriousness, however, if you are not having any success breaking into convential policing, maybe it isn't the career for you, and you should try something else? I was completing my criminology degree and looking forward to law school when I decided being a lawyer wasn`t going to do it for me. At that time I had to decide what to do... I didn`t think I was ready to plunge into policing, so I did various LE/MLEO type jobs through internships, summer work experience, temp. contracts, etc to find out what I liked. I took my current job as somewhat of lark, but I have to move on now due to budget cuts. Policing is now an option since I've expanded my "toolbox" with skills and experience. I'd encourage you to do the same...if you have a skill deficiency, perhaps you can learn it in another, related job, and then transition over.

Good luck!
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello everyone and thank you for your input.

I have acted on the suggestions to sit down with the recruiter of the department I just applied to. To my surprise, after 2 inquiries he offered to help. I did not know this was an option and I have been denied help in the past.

The recruiter said that he cannot provide direct feedback as to exactly why I was not chosen to proceed, but that he would be happy to answer any questions that I may have.

I am starting to form some questions now, mainly around what areas I can improve upon, if actions I have taken to date matter and basically, if I have a real chance at becoming a officer, with their department or otherwise.

I am open to feedback, and in the interest of providing closing comments to a thread I started, i will also post a follow up regarding how the conversation goes.

Thanks again everyone, The information and comments provided has been very helpful.

ChrisD
Rookie Member

Postby ChrisD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I must applaud you for the mature manner in which you've handled this, it's a breath of fresh air around here. Hopefully the recruiter will be able to help identify any weaknesses in your application for specific things they are looking for and guide you in the right direction. I wish you luck and hope you don't loose all hope we need more level headed folks on the streets. :thumbsup:
Chris