Most effective LE martial art

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KRASHED
Rookie Member

Re: Most effective LE martial art

Postby KRASHED » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Verbal judo is an incredible book
Ontario Police Constable

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm

PHB wrote:The most important weapon you have in policing is your mouth. I always go for the verbal judo.

Too bad more people didn't understand this concept in life.
K division.

ChrisD
Rookie Member

Postby ChrisD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm

I had never heard of this book / term before. Verbal de-escalation is the most important tool in your tool belt for sure. I went out and bought the book yesterday, loving it so far, thanks! :thumbsup:
Chris

DoNotPassGo
Rookie Member

Postby DoNotPassGo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 pm

ChrisD wrote:I had never heard of this book / term before. Verbal de-escalation is the most important tool in your tool belt for sure. I went out and bought the book yesterday, loving it so far, thanks! :thumbsup:

X2.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:20 pm

ChrisD wrote:I had never heard of this book / term before. Verbal de-escalation is the most important tool in your tool belt for sure. I went out and bought the book yesterday, loving it so far, thanks! :thumbsup:

The book is okay, its filled with some interesting stories as the author was NYPD pc.

Find his video online, lecturing college students. The video explains a theory that is better than the book.

Something about deflecting people comments and another about forcing angry people to actually analyse or think about something which brings their common sense back, so to speak..

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Verbal judo is all fine and dandy, but sometimes that is not an option.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

ChrisD
Rookie Member

Postby ChrisD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 pm

meathead1 wrote:Verbal judo is all fine and dandy, but sometimes that is not an option.

Very true, you always need to be ready to go hands on, you shouldn't be arriving on scene of an assault in progress and standing there trying to convince them with words to stop pounding the crap out of someone. :boxer:

But being better with words when the situation allows never hurt. Everything has it's time and place.

I'll take a look for the videos, might even look into possibly getting a seminar for our detachement if I like the looks of it.
Chris

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm

meathead1 wrote:Verbal judo is all fine and dandy, but sometimes that is not an option.

During the verbal judo course they address the times when its time to go hands on. Off the top of my head the times I remember are: When someone attacks you, you have exhausted all options to talk with someone or they run away.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBw70HAys4

Good video IMO, you can always question how transferable these skills or theories are in real life LE situations ...

vmclap5
Rookie Member

Postby vmclap5 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:24 am

If anyone is curious about effective martial arts for LE I'd suggest looking into Krav Maga. It's very straight to the point and isn't so much based upon tradition, it's all about self-preservation and disarming your opponent.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:05 am

Wouldn't that be too over the top, such as the popping of eyes and breaking of limbs?
K division.

vmclap5
Rookie Member

Postby vmclap5 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Shawshank wrote:Wouldn't that be too over the top, such as the popping of eyes and breaking of limbs?

Some parts of Krav Maga are over the top, but there are a great number of disarming and disabling techniques. It's all up to personal preference. I know the use of force training officer for the region I live in runs his own Dojo for Jiu Jitsu it's called "Kumo Jiu Jitsu". I also know officers who have black belts in Taekwondo, a bit of everything for everyone I suppose. :D

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Keep in mind that if you go all Bruce Lee on an offender regardless of the circumstance and he gets hurt or persues charges against YOU...
'Good luck defending yourself in court if you used any techniques other than what your employer trained you in... ;)
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

TheBullTerrier
Rookie Member

Postby TheBullTerrier » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Ha. I was about to drop the Rex Kwon Do. I see I have already been beaten to the punch

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Bitterman wrote:Keep in mind that if you go all Bruce Lee on an offender regardless of the circumstance and he gets hurt or persues charges against YOU...
'Good luck defending yourself in court if you used any techniques other than what your employer trained you in... ;)

This what I was getting at.
K division.