Most effective LE martial art

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KRASHED
Rookie Member

Most effective LE martial art

Postby KRASHED » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Hey all,

Now that I'm in the field of law enforcement and surrounded by various degrees of criminals all day as a special constable I'm looking into taking a martial arts class in my spare time.

I'm not looking to go all superhero I just would like some training on how to manage myself in a close quarters situation. It's something that happens often enough here.

What sort of martial art should I look into?
Ontario Police Constable

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Re: Most effective LE martial art

Postby Hired Goon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:43 pm

You will probably get as many opinions as there are members on the board. In a similar thread a while back, the vast majority of members recommended Rex Kwon Do.
Hired Goon

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Frank Dux Ryu.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 pm

You're dealing with inmate between courts and correctional facilities. They will likely be wearing baggy clothes or orange jump suites.

Take judo. Grabbing their clothes for take downs is like grabbing a gi.

KRASHED
Rookie Member

Postby KRASHED » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Apollo wrote:You're dealing with inmate between courts and correctional facilities. They will likely be wearing baggy clothes or orange jump suites.

Take judo. Grabbing their clothes for take downs is like grabbing a gi.

I'm in the courts as well as transport. Another member suggested Brazilian jui jitsu with good reasoning.

I was thinking of just joining Clownshoes but I don't want to save the world yet
Ontario Police Constable

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Sign up for a local MMA gym and mix the classes up, no one martial art is the best martial art...

Get a few chosen techniques and practice them often in your rolling sessions; i.e.: armbar take down, single leg, knee on belly can also be useful. perhaps not the neck cranks or chokes :smirk:

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Hired Goon wrote: In a similar thread a while back, the vast majority of members recommended Rex Kwon Do.

This. I have studied Rex for years and to be honest, I have gained the wisdom of a man.

Plus they use the buddy system, no more flying solo.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

TheCanadian
Veteran Member

Postby TheCanadian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Mongo wrote:
Hired Goon wrote: In a similar thread a while back, the vast majority of members recommended Rex Kwon Do.

This. I have studied Rex for years and to be honest, I have gained the wisdom of a man.

Plus they use the buddy system, no more flying solo.

Now be honest, your really do Rex for the girls...

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Postby cyrusdm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm not sure what your physical abilities are, but assuming you're not in fantastic shape you are probably better off spending your time in the gym lifting weights and doing some high intensity cardio than worrying about martial arts.

That said, for police officers I would personally suggest bjj. You're not going to stand and strike with a bad guy...and if you do you're probably not being very smart as one punch to the head could knock you out and leave your gun open for the taking. BJJ will teach how to control a fight on the ground, whether that's on top or on the bottom. Judo is all fine and dandy but if you've ever done Judo in a Gi and then tried to do the same throws while holding onto normal clothing...it doesn't work the same way, the clothing stretches or tears too much.

BJJ for sure

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 am

Just watch bloodsport and you'll be fine.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:42 am

cyrusdm wrote:I'm not sure what your physical abilities are, but assuming you're not in fantastic shape you are probably better off spending your time in the gym lifting weights and doing some high intensity cardio than worrying about martial arts.

That said, for police officers I would personally suggest bjj. You're not going to stand and strike with a bad guy...and if you do you're probably not being very smart as one punch to the head could knock you out and leave your gun open for the taking. BJJ will teach how to control a fight on the ground, whether that's on top or on the bottom. Judo is all fine and dandy but if you've ever done Judo in a Gi and then tried to do the same throws while holding onto normal clothing...it doesn't work the same way, the clothing stretches or tears too much.

BJJ for sure

Yah i love jits for sure but I dunno how acceptable it will be to pull guard and sweep from the bottom in a professional setting. I also see BJJ guys getting exploited in MMA fights being stuck at the bottom on the receiving end of a mean ground and pound.

That why you gotta mix it up, emphasis on wrestling, not only for take downs but body position in various scenarios and staying on top (or standing)

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Postby cyrusdm » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 pm

facetha wrote:
cyrusdm wrote:I'm not sure what your physical abilities are, but assuming you're not in fantastic shape you are probably better off spending your time in the gym lifting weights and doing some high intensity cardio than worrying about martial arts.

BJJ for sure

Yah i love jits for sure but I dunno how acceptable it will be to pull guard and sweep from the bottom in a professional setting. I also see BJJ guys getting exploited in MMA fights being stuck at the bottom on the receiving end of a mean ground and pound.

That why you gotta mix it up, emphasis on wrestling, not only for take downs but body position in various scenarios and staying on top (or standing)

Well you certainly wont be pulling guard lol, and hopefully you don't end up on the bottom.

There are plenty of take downs to be learnt from the BJJ...nothing fancy, very much rooted in judo which of course is where BJJ hails from.

There's nothing wrong with wrestling, but imo you can learn enough wrestling on your own while being taught BJJ. Or, like was suggested, join a reputable MMA gym for a more well rounded look.
From personal experience though my bjj background helps in more ways than just what happens when i'm on the ground, much less on the bottom. It's helped for joint locks while standing, head control while standing and more than anything, it's given me very good physical fitness because it is tiring as all hell.

rookie86
Rookie Member

Postby rookie86 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Jiu Jitsu all the way!!!

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm

The most important weapon you have in policing is your mouth. I always go for the verbal judo.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

TPS11
Grand Poobah

Postby TPS11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm

PHB wrote:The most important weapon you have in policing is your mouth. I always go for the verbal judo.

Best answer in this thread so far.