How are my chances joining a Police department.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Canucksfan250
Rookie Member

How are my chances joining a Police department.

Postby Canucksfan250 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:40 am

Hi, I am currently 16 and have always been interested in law enforcement. I am physically active, and have always been clean. I am bilingual, speaking english and french. I plan on joining my local Army Infantry Reserve within months, when i turn 18 i would also like to join the police reserve program too. I also have a uptodate first aid certificate, as well as a bronze medallion in swimming. I would like to do lots of volunteer work the next few years. I first plan on getting a law enforcement studies diploma, applying at my local PD. If i fail I would get a Bachelors of Science, then reapply. How are my chances? Do you think i could join without the bachelors degree? Is there anything at all I could do to become more competitive?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer this! :D
Matt

golfdude
Veteran Member

Re: How are my chances joining a Police department.

Postby golfdude » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 am

41.3%

Oh, wait.... 39.7% since you only got a bronze medal in swimming.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Try not the do anything stupid... Trying to explain why you did something dumb is a barrier, no matter how minor or how long ago, even if you never got caught. I say that from experience.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm

golfdude wrote:41.3%

Oh, wait.... 39.7% since you only got a bronze medal in swimming.

I only got to blue level in swimming and was successful. How did that happen?
Hired Goon

Roofus
Rookie Member

Postby Roofus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Canucksfan250 wrote:Hi, I am currently 16 and have always been interested in law enforcement. I am physically active, and have always been clean. I am bilingual, speaking english and french. I plan on joining my local Army Infantry Reserve within months, when i turn 18 i would also like to join the police reserve program too. I also have a uptodate first aid certificate, as well as a bronze medallion in swimming. I would like to do lots of volunteer work the next few years. I first plan on getting a law enforcement studies diploma, applying at my local PD. If i fail I would get a Bachelors of Science, then reapply. How are my chances? Do you think i could join without the bachelors degree? Is there anything at all I could do to become more competitive?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer this! :D
Matt

pm'd

KRASHED
Rookie Member

Postby KRASHED » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Remember that many agencies want to see interests outside of law enforcement. My degree had nothing to do with police work but they really liked that I was educated beyond highschool.
Ontario Police Constable

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Apply and find out. That is the only answer you should put any faith in.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

zycil27
Rookie Member

Postby zycil27 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm

KRASHED wrote:Remember that many agencies want to see interests outside of law enforcement. My degree had nothing to do with police work but they really liked that I was educated beyond highschool.

This, I feel, is important. There must be a value in having LEOs from various backgrounds. There are many fields that seemingly have nothing to do with policing but that would still be a benefit to policing. And as with advice already given on this site: if you choose to do post-sec, do something you are interested in and that you could see yourself pursuing if policing doesn't work out or if it takes longer to get in than you might have expected.

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

zycil27 wrote:
KRASHED wrote:Remember that many agencies want to see interests outside of law enforcement. My degree had nothing to do with police work but they really liked that I was educated beyond highschool.

This, I feel, is important. There must be a value in having LEOs from various backgrounds. There are many fields that seemingly have nothing to do with policing but that would still be a benefit to policing. And as with advice already given on this site: if you choose to do post-sec, do something you are interested in and that you could see yourself pursuing if policing doesn't work out or if it takes longer to get in than you might have expected.

Best advice right here. I studied business in university and will be graduating in April and I've already signed an offer of employment. This goes to show that, while I had every intention of becoming a police officer, I knew that there was a possibility that might never happen. So I went to university, took something completely unrelated to policing, applied, and got hired. If you think about it, I'd say 80% of people that apply to any given service, have either a Police Foundations diploma and/or a Criminology degree. While they both show that you're committed to further education, they don't differentiate you whatsoever from the majority of applicants. What I suggest is that you study something that interests you OR something that, in case you never get hired, will allow you to obtain a well-paying job to support your family.

Just my 2 cents, anyways. You're still young (as am I) so many things will change before you get old enough to consider applying. Being 16 years old puts you at an advantage to others as well, because you will have more time to think things through and be relatively young when you apply. Some individuals don't realize until their 30s or 40s that this is something they want to do. If you apply young and even if you get deferred many times, you will have many chances to make it (compared to someone applying in their 30s and 40s).

Stay out of trouble, choose your friends wisely, and you'll do fine.

GW
Last edited by GoWings on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Steelie_king
Rookie Member

Postby Steelie_king » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Business all the way

boxerbailey

Postby boxerbailey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Same qualifications/plan as most young applicants.....

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 am

Last edited by Columbo on Sun May 26, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more thing..."

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 am

Columbo wrote:Stay out of trouble;
Keep fit and active;
Don't do drugs;
Don't take police foundations;
Don't seek out employment as a security guard;
Volunteer.

I wish you the best of luck. At 16, you're way ahead of your generation if you start planning and doing now.

All good points, and he's way ahead of most generations that went before him as well. And really, this advice makes sense for any future goals and aspirations.