Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
cardz25
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:02 am
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby cardz25 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 am

Soon2BRCMP wrote:I look back at what I knew at 20 and what I know at 25. I can't imagine what I will learn in another 5 years.

:thumbsup:
"Excuses, no matter how strong, never lead to achievement."
John C. Maxwell

cyrex_007
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby cyrex_007 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 am

If you are mature, and have something standing out then you can get in as early as 21 like my brother. At 21 he had his 2nd degree black belt, and spoke a second language, and was a straight arrow kind of guy. He also was 2 year auxiliary CST with MHPS when he was 19-20 while getting his 2 year police college diploma. Hope this helps.

xmber
Veteran Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby xmber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 am

cyrex_007 wrote:If you are mature, and have something standing out then you can get in as early as 21 like my brother. At 21 he had his 2nd degree black belt, and spoke a second language, and was a straight arrow kind of guy. He also was 2 year auxiliary CST with MHPS when he was 19-20 while getting his 2 year police college diploma. Hope this helps.


I got in when I was 19 and was working full time when I was 20. It doesn't mean shit. Regardless of maturity at that age, it's still too early to really comprehend and appreciate the profession that you've chosen and what comes along with it. They certainly don't advertise the shit portion of this job when doing the recruiting - I never expected to be picking up brains and body parts of teenagers and people I knew when I was 20. Total mindfuck.

Having a black belt and being an auxiliary, while both incredibly honourable, are not indicative of maturity. I'm not slagging your brother, I'm just trying to make the point that maturity is something that comes with age. None of these things can provide that versus the good old time tested growing up. As one poster so eloquently put it, it's like a fine wine that comes with age. Truth.

cyrex_007
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby cyrex_007 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:48 pm

xmber wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:If you are mature, and have something standing out then you can get in as early as 21 like my brother. At 21 he had his 2nd degree black belt, and spoke a second language, and was a straight arrow kind of guy. He also was 2 year auxiliary CST with MHPS when he was 19-20 while getting his 2 year police college diploma. Hope this helps.


I got in when I was 19 and was working full time when I was 20. It doesn't mean shit. Regardless of maturity at that age, it's still too early to really comprehend and appreciate the profession that you've chosen and what comes along with it. They certainly don't advertise the shit portion of this job when doing the recruiting - I never expected to be picking up brains and body parts of teenagers and people I knew when I was 20. Total mindfuck.

Having a black belt and being an auxiliary, while both incredibly honourable, are not indicative of maturity. I'm not slagging your brother, I'm just trying to make the point that maturity is something that comes with age. None of these things can provide that versus the good old time tested growing up. As one poster so eloquently put it, it's like a fine wine that comes with age. Truth.


Maturity comes with common sense, not just age. At the age of 18 or 19, we are well aware of what police officers do for a living and what they have to deal with. (Common Sense) You never expected to be picking up brains and body parts because of how young you were or what???

It takes a certain type of person to be confronted with scenes like that REGARDLESS of age. Being a medic is no different at that age. They are all present at the scene.

I commend you for getting hired very early, and still sticking in, but by the end of training you should know what to expect.

If you think you are that type of person to be getting into that line of work, -- go for it.. like they say.. age is JUST a #.

User avatar
goaliegibson
Regular Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby goaliegibson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Huge different between knowing what the job entails and dealing with it day in and day out.
Image

User avatar
recceguy
Seasoned Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby recceguy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:06 pm

cyrex_007 wrote:Maturity comes with common sense, not just age. At the age of 18 or 19, we are well aware of what police officers do for a living and what they have to deal with. (Common Sense) You never expected to be picking up brains and body parts because of how young you were or what???

It takes a certain type of person to be confronted with scenes like that REGARDLESS of age. Being a medic is no different at that age. They are all present at the scene.

I commend you for getting hired very early, and still sticking in, but by the end of training you should know what to expect.

If you think you are that type of person to be getting into that line of work, -- go for it.. like they say.. age is JUST a #.


If age is JUST a number they would let 15 year olds apply.

That said, I do agree with you to an extent...age does not equal maturity.

I've said it before on this board and I'll say it again.....I know a guy who at age 23 was a special forces operator, couple tours overseas and was married with 2 kids. Conversly....I know people in their 30's with the maturity of a preteen.

Knowing that you will have to deal with some horrible things and actually being able to deal with it are 2 very different things. For instance...I got into my line of work knowing full well I'd have to "pick up brains and body parts".......didn't make it any easier for the reality of it the first time I had to fill a garbage bag with what I could find of a person.

So keep your stupid fucking comments to yourself
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

xmber
Veteran Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby xmber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:19 pm

recceguy wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:Maturity comes with common sense, not just age. At the age of 18 or 19, we are well aware of what police officers do for a living and what they have to deal with. (Common Sense) You never expected to be picking up brains and body parts because of how young you were or what???

It takes a certain type of person to be confronted with scenes like that REGARDLESS of age. Being a medic is no different at that age. They are all present at the scene.

I commend you for getting hired very early, and still sticking in, but by the end of training you should know what to expect.

If you think you are that type of person to be getting into that line of work, -- go for it.. like they say.. age is JUST a #.


If age is JUST a number they would let 15 year olds apply.

That said, I do agree with you to an extent...age does not equal maturity.

I've said it before on this board and I'll say it again.....I know a guy who at age 23 was a special forces operator, couple tours overseas and was married with 2 kids. Conversly....I know people in their 30's with the maturity of a preteen.

Knowing that you will have to deal with some horrible things and actually being able to deal with it are 2 very different things. For instance...I got into my line of work knowing full well I'd have to "pick up brains and body parts".......didn't make it any easier for the reality of it the first time I had to fill a garbage bag with what I could find of a person.

So keep your stupid fucking comments to yourself


Well said brother and echoes my comments. Knowing it and dealing with it are vastly different.

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby Shawshank » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:13 pm

recceguy wrote:Knowing that you will have to deal with some horrible things and actually being able to deal with it are 2 very different things. For instance...I got into my line of work knowing full well I'd have to "pick up brains and body parts".......didn't make it any easier for the reality of it the first time I had to fill a garbage bag with what I could find of a person.


Can any age really prepare you for that?

I have thought long and hard about some of the things I may/will have to deal with when I get hired. It is something that I hope I have the strength to deal with.
K division.

User avatar
th
Veteran Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: British Paraguay
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby th » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

cyrex_007 wrote:It takes a certain type of person to be confronted with scenes like that REGARDLESS of age. Being a medic is no different at that age. They are all present at the scene.
We shouldn't be hiring 19 and 20 year olds to be medics either ...
:wave:

GPZ
Grand Poobah
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby GPZ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm

I note how often the blood n' guts thing gets brought up during discussions about maturity and age and how much of each do you need to be a cop.

I don't know a lot of cops who look forward to the fatal car crashes, or to the "I haven't seen my neighbour for a few weeks and there's a bad smell coming through his door" calls, but I haven't really seen a lot of cops that absolutely fall to pieces at those scenes, either, regardless of age or apparent maturity. That would be a pretty easy way to spot those who 'weren't ready' or 'couldn't handle it'.

I do see a number of cops who get hired, get field trained, and then frantically scramble to get away from the street, period. They grab any job that gets them off the street, or at least a little ways away from the street. They'll talk about 'well the hours are just better for my family' or 'childcare was a real problem so this works out better' or 'I just needed a break' (typically from someone with about two years' service). Probably some truth to those statements. But they're two or three or four years into a twenty-five year career and they've realized they don't want the job they thought they wanted.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of opportunities and trying new stuff. There's nothing wrong with taking a desk job if that's what floats your boat for a while, just like there's nothing golden about working the street, in and of itself.

But if you want my opinion, I don't care if someone faints when they see a fatal MVA, as long as they get back up and carry on when they come to. But don't come on this job thinking you'll just get whole patrol thing over with ASAP because what really suits you is a job with regular daytime hours, weekends free, evenings to coach soccer, and preferably no annoying court summons. That's not the kind of job policing is and it's not fair to you or the Service to sign up if that's how it is for you. You need to be old enough and mature enough to know what kind of a life and career you REALLY want, and to understand what the career of policing is before you sign up for twenty five years. The dead bodies and gun calls will take care of themselves.

CDNMP34
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby CDNMP34 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I was hired as a Reg Force MP a month before my 20th Birthday. My first day on patrol was one month after my 21st Birthday. My age is MUCH more the exception than the norm in the trade though.

runnergirl
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby runnergirl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I am going to chime in here. I was recently hired and was 35 at the time of hire. Being on the road for a very short 5 months, I quickly realized that there is no way in hell I could have done this job at 20 or even 25. I have been told by many that I have always been mature for my age, but there is a certain level of life experience that needs to be obtained before dealing with the public in the very worst of situations. I don't care what a 20 year old has on their resume.....they need the life experience. I seen alot of young people hired and many were in my class. They were good people but I wondered how they would manage on the road. Of course I wished them well and hope they succeed, but they had an extra challenge for sure. My class of 80 OPP were one of the oldest in average age from what I was told. There is a reason why.....and why there is so much weight put on having life experience and diverse backgrounds. Very few were from a police foundations background, you need the "other" skills for this job. I love what I do, but have said it many times...there is no way I could have done this 15 years ago.

Steelie_king
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 am
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby Steelie_king » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 pm

I think be hired at 20 is just fine.... :ponder:

zycil27
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby zycil27 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

Steelie_king wrote:I think be hired at 20 is just fine.... :ponder:

Probably because you're young yourself? ;)

cyrex_007
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby cyrex_007 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 am

th wrote:
cyrex_007 wrote:It takes a certain type of person to be confronted with scenes like that REGARDLESS of age. Being a medic is no different at that age. They are all present at the scene.
We shouldn't be hiring 19 and 20 year olds to be medics either ...



If they have the mentality and passion to do it at that age then go for it


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SemrushBot and 15 guests