Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Cassius101
Rookie Member

Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career?

Postby Cassius101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 am

I took part time courses in University and won't have a BA until I am 26. I know you don't need a degree to be a police officer but it has advantages if you do. If I am successful with joining the OPP, I will be finished training when I am 27.

How old is the average police officer? For Police Departments like the OPP, Toronto, Peel and Halton Region? Im guessing it would be 23.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Re: Age Of Average Police Officer Just Starting Their Career

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 am

Based on one other post you are really obsessed with age for some reason.

27 is still young.

I'm sure they are not hiring based on average age. Some services have hired people in their 50s others have hired guys 20 years old.

Don't worry about it, just apply.

mani
Rookie Member

Postby mani » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:36 am

Actually, 27-28 is about the average age of new hires these days.

That number used to be lower (mid to early 20s) in the past but has since changed with more emphasis being placed on post secondary education, etc.

Rookie123
Rookie Member

Postby Rookie123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Last edited by Rookie123 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:33 pm

If you think you are too old or too young you probably are.

Steelie_king
Rookie Member

Postby Steelie_king » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:48 pm

27 is too old your screwed. :banghead:

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 pm

It's not how old you are, it's how much life experience you have and how you can apply it. I know a few people in their early 20's with lots of life experience. I also know lots in their 40's and older that have hardly any.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Male 26.

Female 24.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Male 26.

Female 24.

And what is the average height?

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I was 24.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Huh, below average. Or do you prefer to be known as an average woman? :mrgreen:

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I was 20 when I started policing full time. In my honest opinion, it's far too young. I truly believe one shouldn't be allowed to police until they are at least 26+. I was a mature kid and thought I was ready to tackle anything but policing just deals with too much fucked up shit. There's no way a 20 year old kid can logically handle and process doing NOK notifications, dealing with suicides, fatals, etc etc. For that matter, I'm still trying to make sense of this job 12 years later. I also strongly discourage the younger generation from applying until they've grown up a bit and can deal with the never ending backstabbing bullshit of this job.

Oh wait .... this is the applicant forum, right? Disregard all of what I just said and submit away. It's an awesome job.

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 pm

xmber wrote:I was 20 when I started policing full time. In my honest opinion, it's far too young. I truly believe one shouldn't be allowed to police until they are at least 26+. I was a mature kid and thought I was ready to tackle anything but policing just deals with too much fucked up shit. There's no way a 20 year old kid can logically handle and process doing NOK notifications, dealing with suicides, fatals, etc etc. For that matter, I'm still trying to make sense of this job 12 years later. I also strongly discourage the younger generation from applying until they've grown up a bit and can deal with the never ending backstabbing bullshit of this job.

Oh wait .... this is the applicant forum, right? Disregard all of what I just said and submit away. It's an awesome job.

+1

I remember applying when I was 20. I thought I was ready to go fight crime up north and knew everything. Literally didn't know what I didn't know. Didn't get hired then. Was upset since I thought I was ready. I got hired doing another law enforcement job. Did that for four years before being hired by a police service. Got some good life experience before jumping totally into policing. Looking back, not getting hired at 20 was a blessing in disguise. I'm not convinced that at 20 years old a police officer is going to have the life experience/maturity that is required to do the job well. And that lack of experience could put you in a situation that will cost you your life. I look back at what I knew at 20 and what I know at 25. I can't imagine what I will learn in another 5 years.
Police Constable

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 am

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.