Crohn's Disease and OPP Application

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
rishi65
Rookie Member

Crohn's Disease and OPP Application

Postby rishi65 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:00 pm

First I'll say I was very hesitant to post this question, as I realize that the "will 'x' condition disqualify me from 'y' force" has been asked many times.
I am asking again because I have a very specific question related to one force in particular, and wanted to see if anyone could answer, given that my extensive searching has brought no joy.
I have read the "Constable Selection System Self Assess!: Medical Requirements for Candidates" published by the Government of Ontario, back to front, and have searched this, and other forums extensively, finding only the thread below, which mentions that the RCMP, as well as some other city and municipal forces consider Crohn's Disease to be a disqualifying factor (regardless of individual circumstances or severity), while others do not. It does not reference the OPP or any Ontario forces directly. I have also searched the OPP's web page extensively, and when looking for medical information I am directed again to the above mentioned document.
While the "Constable Selection System" document does not show Crohn's disease as a disqualifier, it clearly states that the list is not comprehensive, and given that the final medical will be conducted by the OPP (assuming I got that far), and that many forces consider it a disqualifier, I need to seek answers from anyone in the know.
I do not want to waste the OPP or ATS's time, nor mine, nor do I want to make the commitment to completing the process if I will be unsuccessful at the eleventh hour.

With the condition I lead a normal life, and take medication once every two weeks. The medication does not impair my judgement or motor/muscular function in any way.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered in another thread or FAQ, but short of calling the OPP and discussing this with them directly, I felt this was the best option.

http://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11349&p=215396&hilit=crohn%27s#p215396
Last edited by rishi65 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: Crohn's Disease and OPP Application

Postby basketcase » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Nobody can tell you. The BEST option is to CALL the OPP and ask them. We're not Doctors nor are we on the medical review board for the OPP. But I can tell you that the OPP medical restrictions follow the same as the OACP restrictions that other agencies in Ontario follow. So odds are....
OFFICER OF THE LAW

rishi65
Rookie Member

Postby rishi65 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Thank you for the prompt response, and the information. I will contact the OPP directly regarding this.
I would not presume to ask whether or not the severity of my condition disqualifies me, but only anyone knew if the disease itself appears on a list.
Given that the "Self Assess!: Medical Requirements for Candidates" document is fairly lengthy, and does not include Crohn's, and given that it bears the OACP seal as well as that of the Province of Ontario, my hope is that no Ontario forces consider it to be disqualifying.

Regards and thanks-

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I know coppers with Crohns really bad, some have bags too.

You'll do fine.

Besides, that new medication is covered by benefits now.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

rishi65
Rookie Member

Postby rishi65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

opp2 wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:I know coppers with Crohns really bad, some have bags too.

You'll do fine.

Besides, that new medication is covered by benefits now.

This. I came on with an officer who had Crohns from the beginning. She had some tough times in the beginning, but has settled in just fine. That was nearly 18 years ago.

Thank you both A.T.R. and opp2, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you both taking the time to respond to my query. It was disheartening to see that some forces disqualify for the condition. I have been much more fortunate than some with regard to the severity of the condition in my case.

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:05 pm

I know of two Mounties that have the condition. Both had it when they came on I believe

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Can't be any worse than the day after a night of bad beer and under cooked wings, and a salty woman.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

rishi65
Rookie Member

Postby rishi65 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Can't be any worse than the day after a night of bad beer and under cooked wings, and a salty woman.

I would happily take that challenge! That said, best description I've heard in a long while, and good for a laugh! :mrgreen:

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I carry wipes.

You'll find them under the 400.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 pm

I was wondering where those came from...

Redfields Apprentice
Seasoned Member

Postby Redfields Apprentice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Can't be any worse than the day after a night of bad beer and under cooked wings, and a salty woman.

Laughed out loud and got strange looks!
Meathead1 wrote:Now go pay your ticket you fucking bag of dicks
A.T.R. wrote: I'll be blunt.

You're a fucking retard.

Please feel free to take a sample from the bowl of dicks on the way out.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 am

I can't stand undercooked wings.

Traffic Delta
Rookie Member

Postby Traffic Delta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 pm

I have Crohn's and it didn't stop me. Like you, it has been controlled by medication for several years and hasn't given me any problems. I was hired 6 years ago now.

I also know other coppers as well who have it and it hasn't been an issue.

Just apply.