24 hour roadside suspension

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
th
Veteran Member

Re: 24 hour roadside suspension

Postby th » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

cyrex007 wrote:How long was your defferal? Reapply.. Don't listen to anyone who tells you "go onto another career choice".. there just plain ignorant and rude.. we are humans, people make mistakes... My instructor in our Police College classes told us they had a guy who was in the program that used to be a cocaine dealer, and now he works for Calgary Police Service...

You never blew 0.08, you never got into an accident, or hurt someone while you were drinking and driving. You just made a bad choice at the time... we all have... Maybe try and get onto something different for a year or two that relates to law enforcement such as sheriffs, or corrections that do not require disclosure forms... when they see how much you want it and have experience in the field, you will be considered... so don't do nothing with your deferral time.. use it and apply it in the best way you can...

Thanks Dr. Phil, lets all have a big group hug. My favourite part of this post if how you suggest trying to slip into an agency without telling them about getting a suspension for impaired driving.
:wave:

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

cyrex007 wrote: Maybe try and get onto something different for a year or two that relates to law enforcement such as sheriffs, or corrections that do not require disclosure forms... when they see how much you want it and have experience in the field, you will be considered...

WOW that is some stellar career advise. "Get into something that is still law enforcement but where you don't have to disclose you're a fucking hammer head". I can't believe you just GIVE this advice out on the interweb for free. You have a calling, my friend!
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:46 pm

cyrex007 wrote: My instructor in our Police College classes told us they had a guy who was in the program that used to be a cocaine dealer, and now he works for Calgary Police Service...

Yeah I know this guy! He not only works for Calgary Police, he's an astronaut too! Also a kung-fu master!!

I think in addition to dealing coke he also ran a pitbull dog-fighting operation. The man is truly an inspiration!
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm

How about listen to the cops who are on here (none of which said never apply again) instead of the police foundations student who thinks his instructor said there's an ex-cocaine dealing Calgary cop out on the road somewhere.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

go_leafs_go

Postby go_leafs_go » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm

cyrex007 wrote: My instructor in our Police College classes told us they had a guy who was in the program that used to be a cocaine dealer, and now he works for Calgary Police Service...

As an informant?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 pm

C'mon you haters - I'm pretty sure he's graduated from Police Foundations by now - doesn't that qualify him to hand out advice?
cyrex007 wrote:...I am currently in my 2nd year in the Police Program... graduating with my Police Diploma in April...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 pm

cyrex007 wrote:How long was your defferal? Reapply.. Don't listen to anyone who tells you "go onto another career choice".. there just plain ignorant and rude.. we are humans, people make mistakes... My instructor in our Police College classes told us they had a guy who was in the program that used to be a cocaine dealer, and now he works for Calgary Police Service...

You never blew 0.08, you never got into an accident, or hurt someone while you were drinking and driving. You just made a bad choice at the time... we all have... Maybe try and get onto something different for a year or two that relates to law enforcement such as sheriffs, or corrections that do not require disclosure forms... when they see how much you want it and have experience in the field, you will be considered... so don't do nothing with your deferral time.. use it and apply it in the best way you can...

Howse about No!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:30 pm

That might be the worst advice given in this section for a long time.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm

"Police college."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha.

That's about as true as a coke dealer on with Calgary Police Service.

Whatever that clownshoes of a "police college" was that you took your police foundations course at, I would ask for my money back.

Think about it. That excuse for a police foundations college actually accepted a cocaine dealer (who, incidentally, would have a less than zero chance of ever becoming a police officer) in their program. What does that say for their reputation and the quality of their graduates. (Yes, recruiters DO compare notes.)

When you apply for a police department and they ask about your internet activities, be sure to tell them you were once booted off a law enforcement forum for trying to impersonate a police officer. Recruiters LOVE to hear that kinda stuff!

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

I always seem to find threads that go into the epic category when it's too late.......FML coulda had some fun with this one
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm

recceguy wrote:I always seem to find threads that go into the epic category when it's too late.......FML coulda had some fun with this one

screw threads, get a posting to a recruiting centre.......we get applicants like this almost weekly in Toronto

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 am

Since when don't Corrections and Sheriff's require disclosure forms? I don't know what planet you live on, but I had to fill mine out for my job, and it was verified by a lie detector test. :ponder:
Troop 30
March 17-September 8

cyrex007
Rookie Member

Postby cyrex007 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 am

Dave Brown wrote:"Police college."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha.

That's about as true as a coke dealer on with Calgary Police Service.

Whatever that clownshoes of a "police college" was that you took your police foundations course at, I would ask for my money back.

Think about it. That excuse for a police foundations college actually accepted a cocaine dealer (who, incidentally, would have a less than zero chance of ever becoming a police officer) in their program. What does that say for their reputation and the quality of their graduates. (Yes, recruiters DO compare notes.)

When you apply for a police department and they ask about your internet activities, be sure to tell them you were once booted off a law enforcement forum for trying to impersonate a police officer. Recruiters LOVE to hear that kinda stuff!

I'm not sure where you are getting your impersonation from but i am just stating what was once said a long time ago. Obviously someone is trying to change for the better here, and he is able to reapply then why bring him down? I guess you misinterpreted my words. I'm not saying go to a place where they don't have a disclosure, but I am sure there are fields of work you can get into that won't hold his 24 hour that was 3 years ago against him and getting experience in that may benefit for the future.

Mike T
Rookie Member

Postby Mike T » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 am

my defferal was last year so now am on my 4th year of the 24 hour suspension. i spoke to the recruiting sgt today with the vpd and he said in the past he has hired people who had 24/hour suspensions. he pretty much said put in the application and will go from there .

now that being said my 24 hour suspension was with 3 beers, so before all you jump the gun on trash talking everyone positive here, no am not an alcoholic in fact i rarely drink. i honestly did not feel drunk was comfortable driving that night. and no i never had a car accident i only have 3 tickets in my last 10 years of driving.

thanks for the support guys , i am ok with honest answers but i think you guys went beyond that.I currently have a good career i make in 80 thousand $ range but want a change that's all.

I am simply amazed how most of you are police officers or trying to become one. i would hate to be in the same car with some of you who are beyond negative.

Mike

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:13 am

cyrex007 wrote:I'm not sure where you are getting your impersonation from but i am just stating what was once said a long time ago. Obviously someone is trying to change for the better here, and he is able to reapply then why bring him down? I guess you misinterpreted my words. I'm not saying go to a place where they don't have a disclosure, but I am sure there are fields of work you can get into that won't hold his 24 hour that was 3 years ago against him and getting experience in that may benefit for the future.

I have nothing against the original poster and I respect him for being open and honest. He asked for opinions and he got them. They not have been what he wanted to hear, but they are from working police officers who one day WILL be riding beside him. We have said many many times in this forum that no one in here can answers these kinds of questions. Only the recruiters can. Some people may have offered advice that was hard to take, but it is reality and one must accept that they are now in the real world and deal with the consequences. I hope the original poster does well and with time, they actually stand a good chance of getting on if the 24-hour is the only strike against them.

(Unlike a coke dealer who will never get on anywhere.)

So I don't have an issue with the original forum member. I wish him good luck and hope he sticks with it.

I have an issue with YOU. You are the one who tried to tell us that your clown college is a "police college."

You and I both know you never went to a "police college" so stop trying to deceive us. If you are truly applying to be a police officer some day, it might seem minor to you to fake your credentials on an internet forum, but it is an indication of your ethics and morals if you lie to people when you think you won't get caught.