24 hour roadside suspension

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mike T
Rookie Member

24 hour roadside suspension

Postby Mike T » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 am

hello everyone,

i had a 24 hour suspension 3 years ago(in BC)
warning sign showed up on the breath analyzer,
i applied with the rcmp and got deferred exactly because of that ,
now i have university education, i speak fluent french,english and a third language , extensive work experience in the security field , , night club manager , bouncer , worked for catsa(airport screening) etc
got my firearms license (restricted and unrestricted)
etc,

so long story short because of this stupid mistake(3 years ago) should i forget about applying ? should wait another 2 years?
i understand that it is extremely competitive , i am also looking into a municipal force the vpd but again its very competitive and this roadside suspension really put me down ,

what's your opinions?

Verbose_Caveman
Rookie Member

Re: 24 hour roadside suspension

Postby Verbose_Caveman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:20 am

Mike T wrote:what's your opinions?

My opinion is that if you spent five seconds browsing this forum, you'd realize that this post will not be received well.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:35 am

You got turfed from the RCMP for that very reason.......seems your question was already answered by them
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

Move onto another career choice. There's many out there in Western Canada that might be able to work with you.

ride365
Rookie Member

Postby ride365 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I was told that they like to see a 5yr clean driving record. Doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be processed if it was 4yrs but its up to the recruiter and I would imagine they would look at other things as well. If you were to read the many pages in the Applicants forum it would show you exactly that. I would call to ask this question rather than asking people who likely don't know the "correct" answer.

At the CP they were very willing to take the time to discuss anything that you might be worried about. I didn't have to ask but I know some people called or emailed the recruiter with questions when they got home. There is no reason to no disclose everything right from the beginning because it will very shortly come out if you don't.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Br brutally honest about it up front. It's much less disappointing getting deferred early rather than get through the process and get tossed near the end.
Troop 30
March 17-September 8

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Or you could not drink and drive.........just saying
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm

recceguy wrote:Or you could not drink and drive.........just saying

OFFICER OF THE LAW

Mike T
Rookie Member

Postby Mike T » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

yea i agree , trust me i regret it. its really unfortunate because i have 2 friends who got in the force that are very similar qualification as i am.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Yup and they don't have a 24 hour suspension for an alcohol related driving incident. I don't know if you look at the priorities and stuff for 99% of the police services in Canada, but impaired driving is part of the top priorities for all of them.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Mike T wrote:yea i agree , trust me i regret it. its really unfortunate because i have 2 friends who got in the force that are very similar qualification as i am.

You "regret" it because you got caught for it, and no other reason.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Mike T wrote: yea i agree , trust me i regret it. its really unfortunate because i have 2 friends who got in the force that are very similar qualification as i am.

You should have regretted it the FIRST time it happened. After that it wasn't just an isolated incident.
Troop 30
March 17-September 8

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:12 am

Steelie_king wrote:what the hell are you even saying?

I think they were trying to say that Mike T won't be at Depot any time soon.......

Your best bet is to apply and see what they say. I would not think 3 years is long enough no matter how many languages you speak or what level of education you have, but I'm not a recruiter. Remember, it's the RCMP, you might find yourself in Carmacks YT where all your languages will serve you no purpose other than to pick up passing european chicks on their way to Dawson City YT.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 am

I am just going to take this opportunity to suggest, at least to the applicants, that there are Operation Red nose programs out there that give people a great alternative to driving while under the influence. These programs need volunteers to help; I highly recommend it if you have the time to commit.
K division.

cyrex007
Rookie Member

Postby cyrex007 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:07 pm

How long was your defferal? Reapply.. Don't listen to anyone who tells you "go onto another career choice".. there just plain ignorant and rude.. we are humans, people make mistakes... My instructor in our Police College classes told us they had a guy who was in the program that used to be a cocaine dealer, and now he works for Calgary Police Service...

You never blew 0.08, you never got into an accident, or hurt someone while you were drinking and driving. You just made a bad choice at the time... we all have... Maybe try and get onto something different for a year or two that relates to law enforcement such as sheriffs, or corrections that do not require disclosure forms... when they see how much you want it and have experience in the field, you will be considered... so don't do nothing with your deferral time.. use it and apply it in the best way you can...