LASIK/LASEK Recovery

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
KRASHED
Rookie Member

LASIK/LASEK Recovery

Postby KRASHED » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi all, I know there are threads on laser eye surgery but I'm looking more at the recovery period and symptoms.

I've read too much crap on the Internet and now I'm pretty skeptical of the procedure. I can't see well at all without my glasses and my pupils are slightyl larger than normal. This being said I plan on doing the bladeless custom LASIK procedure at TLC.

What are the days like after the surgery? Will I be able to function in a few weeks? Months? Has everyone here had a positive experience?

I'm looking for testimonials from people who wore glasses all day every day. I'm 23 btw.

I'm nervous as hell and i don't want this surgery to stand in the way of my policing career
Ontario Police Constable

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: LASIK/LASEK Recovery

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I have not had Lasik myself (would like to, and may yet - kinda hard to justify the money when you're only really doing it to apply for a volunteer position - auxiliary!!!).

That being said, I know quite a few people who've had Lasik and none of them regret the decision and have perfect vision, in some cases up to 10 years after the surgery. They've also said it was a piece of cake, and recovery was only a few days.

UofAPO
Rookie Member

Postby UofAPO » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 am

I had LASIK done on June 14th of this year. Seriously it is hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself. I did my homework and went with a small local clinic that was a little more expensive then the other two I consulted with, but the experience was more then worth the money in my eyes. No word of a lie my eyes hurt when the freezing wore off at about the two hour mark post surgery (I had surgery in the morning and decided I was starving and had to eat something on the way home). I went home, slept for two hours, and felt fine. My eyes felt a little scratchy for a few days (about the equivalent of when my allergies are acting up) but the pain was non existent after that first two hour nap. The day after the surgery I was at 20/20 in both eyes, and now I'm at 20/15 in one and a little better then 20/20 in the other. It has been a fantastic experience all around, although it took some time to stop reaching for my glasses all the time. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 am

I just had LASIK done on Sept 5th in order to get my C.O.R from ATS. The first 2 weeks were horrible. If I didn't put eye drops in every 20-30 min my eyes would become extremely dry and would start to burn, turn red, and start tearing. The follow up appointment after LASIK, I was seeing 20/20. I just went for my one month follow up and I'm now seeing 20/15. I was also skeptical at first as you only have one set of eyes and you don't want to jeopardize your career, either. SEARCH this forum as there are many threads that relate to laser eye surgery. I now love waking up, going to the gym, going to work, etc and not have to worry about glasses or contacts. I was someone who had worn glasses everyday for 12 years and now I'm free!!

:boxer:

GW
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

LASIK MD
Rookie Member

Postby LASIK MD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 am

One of the main benefits of LASIK is that downtime is minimal. All LASIK patients will notice an immediate improvement in their vision within hours after their treatment. The following day, vision is dramatically improved, and most patients can return to work within 24 hours. In terms of visual recovery, all patients experience better vision within a few hours of their procedure. And the vision continues to improve as the eyes heal.

You can resume most normal activities immediately after LASIK eye surgery. However, for at least the first three days you will need to avoid activities that could cause perspiration to run into your eyes. You will also need to avoid activities such as contact sports and swimming for approximately one week following surgery. Furthermore, in the first month after laser vision correction, it is recommended that you avoid trauma to your eyes in the same way that a contact lens wearer would avoid trauma that could cause a contact lens to fall out. If you do not routinely wear safety glasses while playing sports, your surgeon may recommend wearing them for about one month after LASIK surgery.

With regards to driving, patients may experience some discomfort and/or blurred vision for a few hours after laser eye surgery. In addition, many patients receive a mild sedative prior to vision correction surgery. Therefore, you cannot drive home after undergoing the LASIK procedure and you should plan to avoid driving for approximately 24 hours.

Regardless of the particular activity you wish to pursue in the weeks following your procedure, it is important to consult your eye care professional with regards to their respective limitations.
Last edited by Dave Brown on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising not allowed on forums

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

Ya know, LASIK MD, I bet BlueLine.ca would be happy to have you as a sponsor. I'm pretty sure you could afford it. Sponsorship starts as low as $495 per eye... :mrgreen:

But of course, that would be your contact info on a stone tablet in the head office, I'm sure you know how important promotion is, and would want to spend 10 times that for the newest, most sophisticated electronic laser-guided advertising.

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 am

GoodWitness wrote:Ya know, LASIK MD, I bet BlueLine.ca would be happy to have you as a sponsor. I'm pretty sure you could afford it. Sponsorship starts as low as $495 per eye... :mrgreen:

But of course, that would be your contact info on a stone tablet in the head office, I'm sure you know how important promotion is, and would want to spend 10 times that for the newest, most sophisticated electronic laser-guided advertising.

:thumbsup:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMPbrat
Rookie Member

Postby RCMPbrat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:45 pm

KRASHED wrote:Hi all, I know there are threads on laser eye surgery but I'm looking more at the recovery period and symptoms.

I've read too much crap on the Internet and now I'm pretty skeptical of the procedure. I can't see well at all without my glasses and my pupils are slightyl larger than normal. This being said I plan on doing the bladeless custom LASIK procedure at TLC.

What are the days like after the surgery? Will I be able to function in a few weeks? Months? Has everyone here had a positive experience?

I'm looking for testimonials from people who wore glasses all day every day. I'm 23 btw.

I'm nervous as hell and i don't want this surgery to stand in the way of my policing career

Hi Krashed,

I just had Lasik in Hamilton, Ontario at Lasik MD.

I am 18 years old, have more then average "corneal tissue", no dryness in eyes, and have double the average size pupils. (which all of these factors they take into account).

I had a as the doctor explained was not a "low prescription, but not a high one" (I don't know the exact prescription as pathetic as that is..)

I'll make a timeline in my case that will explain my recovery.

Day of surgery - Walked away with 20/20 vision (very rare)
24 hour checkup - walked away with 20/15 vision
My weekly check up is on this coming Wednesday and I have normal vision/ no dry eyes, however I do have "halo's" at night however it should go away according to the Doctor within 3-6 Months.

I hope this helps, everyone is different I know that.
Last edited by RCMPbrat on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRASHED
Rookie Member

Postby KRASHED » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the testimonials everyone, i'm slated to have laser eye done this coming friday (19th) at TLC in Toronto.
Ontario Police Constable

RCMPbrat
Rookie Member

Postby RCMPbrat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

KRASHED wrote:Thanks for the testimonials everyone, i'm slated to have laser eye done this coming friday (19th) at TLC in Toronto.

That is awesome, if you ever have any questions or anything (I will try and help anyways) just message me.

Good luck!
Last edited by RCMPbrat on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 pm

I did the Lasik over 7 years ago..... amazing. It was wild seeing the real colours of trees for the first time in years. The itching was a pain in the arse, but in the end was worth it.

decent pricing too
!!!2008!!!

Messerschmitt
Rookie Member

Postby Messerschmitt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:24 pm

A big advise from someone who had Lasik.

Do PRK! Do not do LASIK. You risk going blind if someone punches you in the face.

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Messerschmitt wrote:A big advise from someone who had Lasik.

Do PRK! Do not do LASIK. You risk going blind if someone punches you in the face.

False. Laser technology is so advanced now that the "flap" that is made is so precise that it heals almost back to normal. 10+ years ago I would agree with you, as the "flap" was created with the surgeon's scalpel and thus the cut that he or she made wasn't precise, thus not allowing the eye to fully heal back to normal. This is my understanding, anyways. I know tons of cops who have had LASIK and they're fine. Just don't put yourself in positions where you risk getting a black eye....easier said then done :D

:boxer: :swords: :boxer:

GW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Messerschmitt wrote:A big advise from someone who had Lasik.

Yet police services continue to allow applicants to apply who've had LASIK... Now there's a lawsuit waiting to happen! :smirk:
So do you have one of those folding canes now? How about a dog?

Messerschmitt
Rookie Member

Postby Messerschmitt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Bottom line is Lasik does lower the structural integrity of the eye compared to a normal eye. I'm not sure about the latest laser incisions for lasik, but I believe even those will not give you back the structure integrity like before.
Really there is no really extra benefit of Lasik over PRK, if you don't mind the longer recovery.
Read over google, and you will find some pros and cons, seeing that Lasik does have more downsides, and usually more serious, than PRK. However, even myself take those with a pinch of salt. For example Lasikcomplications website is a big advocate of anti-lasik, and while I believe most of those reasons are true, I do take them with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, it's up to you what you decide. I personally might need a retreatment (did my surgery over 6 years ago) as my eyes are somewhere at 6/7,5 or 6/9. I will be looking into PRK if I decide for it.