Police Foundations

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Nando1057
Rookie Member

Police Foundations

Postby Nando1057 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I really appreciate all the information shared on this board. I am about to become permanent resident and I'm seriously considering a career in Law Enforcement (Police Officer). My background is in Management and Sales (used to work at a dealership in Service Department for several years in Miami). I am 32 years old, fluent in Spanish, good and experienced in computers and excellent customer service. My questions would be (since I don't have a college degree): would Police Foundations be a benefit to myself as a college education and to pursuit a Law Enforcement career and not a waste of time?
I have read that the recruiters value higher education and personal maturity but after reading all the comments about the PF diploma it gets a little confusing. The second question is: if taking Police Foundations is a benefit for me, which colleges are recommended in the GTA?
Thanks,
Nando....

Roofus
Rookie Member

Re: Police Foundations

Postby Roofus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Well this should be interesting... :popcorn:

read around this forum, there is plenty of info on PF courses.

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I agree with Argyll.

What if you are just dont make it through the process with any services, what will you do with that Police Foundations diploma?

That said, if you desire higher education take something you like and can turn into a career.

Example: A Social Work graduate can always find work in that field... and apply to be a cop if they want also. Doesnt work that same way for PF graduates.

Nando1057
Rookie Member

Postby Nando1057 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I have read and i understand most of the comments about PF. Again, having no higher education and being already 32, and really wanting to pursuit a Law Enforcement career ( now I have to add that I could probably try other agencies and not only being a Police Officer).
If I take a fast track PF class, in a year I could be applying and would already have "higher education" in my resume. Is it a good Idea?
I'm mostly trying to complement my credentials as a person to have better chances and don't want to spend 3-5 years trying to get a college degree....

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 pm

you aren't listening

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Nando1057
Rookie Member

Postby Nando1057 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Could PF be against your resume?
Should I just try and apply with just my background in sales and management?

PF diploma in 10 months sounded to me like an easy way to add higher education really fast to my resume.......
Last edited by Nando1057 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am

First, I am NOT a police officer, but have been around this forum long enough to respect the opinions of opp2 and argyll, who are experienced officers, so listen to them when they say it's not a necessary expense to get a PF diploma to "complete your resume" with an LE-related program or with post-secondary education, for that matter.

Since the process takes a considerable time, I'd suggest getting as much exposure as you can to the services that interest you, through volunteering, possibly a ride-along if they allow them and you haven't already done it. With a background in sales and management and at 32 years of age, your interpersonal skills, communication skills, etc. are potentially what will make you stand out from the 20-somethings with their PF diplomas, minimal life experience and security guard license.

Taking some college or university courses that are relevant and interesting to you will be much less expensive and time-consuming compared to a condensed 1 year PF program, and can be a start to working on a degree in a manageable way, and will demonstrate an interest in bettering yourself and continuing to learn.

Good luck!

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Mechanic
Marketing Agent
Teacher
Sales Manager in auto sales
Trucker
Administrative Assistant
Military

The job titles above are people I know that have successfully acquired employment with various police services in Southern Ontario as a Police Constable.
Of course they also have respected education that related to their position.
To be a Police Officer in my opinion services want to see more life skills and different employment backgrounds brought to the table. Why study a college program for 2 years on something their going to teach you at OPC.

Security Guard
Customs Officer
Correctional Officer
By-Law Officer

The above job titles that some (if not most) employers relating to these positions want to see you have LASA or PF because they rely mostly on recruits what they have learned in the college program because they don’t have the means to train like a police service.
Although if you ask me, most of the people I meet that have PF or LASA work in the first title I listed.

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:03 pm

If I did it all again I would not have taken PF... I would have taken something to fall back on if Policing didn't work out for me, which is so far!!!
KCCO

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Listen to the above posts. You don't need PF. At your stage in life, it is not an asset to your application. Seems to me you will bring a lot to the table already.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:07 pm

My personal story. Years back my gf was 4.5 hours away, I was looking for something that interested me that I could do so I could move near her. I phoned an unnamed college and the person who answered was awesome. This person asked my age, and told me not to bother. I was 26 at the time and was told that place is for the 19 year olds with no life experience. That person told me not to bother as only the local police really looked at them, and with my age and just life experience to write the RCMP exam, unless I wanted to get a job as a security guard or brinks as that's all they'd get me.

That was straight from one of these colleges, I won't name it or who in case that person is still working there and could get in shit, but they were awesome and honest.

Call one yourself and ask. See what sales pitch they give you.