Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Dealing with forces recruiting is terrible. Everyone gives you a different number or answer.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Apollo wrote:Dealing with forces recruiting is terrible. Everyone gives you a different number or answer.

Doesn't change much once you're in.....
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Fellas (and ladies),

I have worked for a Major Canadian Police Service on the civilian side for 14 yrs and 21yrs as a Reservist. Throughout my tenure as a PO I have made friends with POs across the country. It is all the same, in every agency. No Police Officer officer has ever told me that their agency is all peaches and cream. Once you get in to a big organization like a poilce service whether it is Military or Civilian there will be politics and bureaucracy. It is what it is.

If you are considering a career in a line of work that has "Police" in the title I suggest you get over it (politics and bureaucracy) or look for a different line of work.

For those that are cut out for it, it can be a great way of life. For those who are typically negative ... I do not think that you are going to be happy where ever you decide to work.

No body said it was gonna be easy ... but man have I had a lot of fun over the years!!! :alright:

... and no I could not see myself doing anything else!!!! :thumbsup:

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 am

For the most part I agree with you.

Politics and bureaucracy is a bunch of bulshit caused by people who only know how to push paper and forgot where they came from; if they've ever spent time on the front line at all to begin with.

I have little patients for the political bs. Putting up with the crap is a difficult way to put in 30 years. I've seen officers dragged through the coals over politics. Its not fun. There's no positive spin on it.

Its sad much of it has become so politically motivated and driven.

My comments are focused on my dealings with the CF recruiting a few years ago. I am no stranger to doing stints in law enforcement recruiting.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

I have been fielding a lot of questions in relation to what type of duties Reserve Miliatry Police typically conduct.

While duties that you could be assigned could be all over the board, here is what you can typically expect:

Once you pass your MPAC and are sworn in we will need to get you qualified. This will be a process in itself. Basic Trg, Driver Trg, and Basic Trade Trg. If things go well, you may be MP Qualified by this time next year. This trg can be fun if you approach it the right way. Typicaly once you are MP Qualified you will take part in a trg cycle which lasts throughout the year. It is during these annual trg cycles that you may be offered full time employment on a contractual basis. Duties that you may be offered could look like this:

1. Tour Overseas
2. Administrative positon with the Coy or the Platoon
3. Position with the Regular Force Field Platoon
4, Operational Tasking (In the past this has included MP support to events that the CF was involved in ie Olympics, Floods, Forest Fires etc)
5. Major training events throughout Western Canada and sometimes in the USA.
6 Our Close Protection Qualified reservists have supported operations across the country as well as abroad.
7. Regular Force MP Trg
9. Training positions with a variety of Training Cadres (We do have some Res MPs assigned to a variety of Battle Schools)
8. Policing Duties (Reservists are occassionaly requested to assist with policing duties under the supervision of the regular force)

While our forces were involved with Combat Operations in Afghanistan our Reservists were deployed in a variety of positions to assist with the draw on man power.

Generally operational duties are security related in nature.

Many Res MPs have decided they like Military life and transfer over to the Regular side. (The Regular Force Military Police certainly offers even more diversity than the reserve side if that is what you are looking for)

We ask that you parade at least once a month. We appreciate that our members have families, jobs, education etc to attend to and we will work with you in order to meet you attendence requirements.

I hope this helps.

Questions to me!

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Ok here's a question that hasn't been posed yet.

I work full time for an LE agency in Toronto. My schedule is sometimes rather unaccommodating. I'd love to be a PRes MP as I think it would be a great experience with the chance to learn some rather awesome stuff and meet rather awesome people.

Are the MPRs, and the PRes in general, able to accommodate someone who works shift work? I know there are minimum numbers of training nights per month you're supposed to attend. How understanding is the PRes about shift work schedules?
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

ChrisD
Rookie Member

Postby ChrisD » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I can't speak for the Res Unit in Toronto however I know when I was in the reserves we had several members who were also with the City Police and the unit was very understanding of odd hours and that they would come in when they could and they enjoy having that experience and knowledge base in the unit. I know it's the same with the Res MP Platoon here as well, there are several Res MP who are also City Police.
Chris

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Edit
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm

ChrisD wrote:I can't speak for the Res Unit in Toronto however I know when I was in the reserves we had several members who were also with the City Police and the unit was very understanding of odd hours and that they would come in when they could and they enjoy having that experience and knowledge base in the unit. I know it's the same with the Res MP Platoon here as well, there are several Res MP who are also City Police.

1 MP Regt will work with you in so far as you are making an effort and contributing.

I am that guy who sometimes can only parade once a month ... but I make time to go on tour (just got back in 2010) go on major training operations and such. In so far as you are contributing we will accomodate you as best we can.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Edit.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Army Reservists generally have other things going on in their lives. The parade standard is as I mentioned earlier. You are required to parade once a month. Yes we always want you to parade as much as possible but we understand when you cannot. Thats why we are a Reserve Unit, Read: Citizen Soldier, Part Time Soldier, Militia, what ever you want to call it.

Successful Applicants will be responsible to their respective Chain of Command --- and them only

The first 3 years of my civilian policing career I could only parade once a month period ... after that I moved to areas that allowed me more time to parade. 1 MP Regt will invest in you with a view to utilize you later on in your career. Because I kept with my reserve career (parading when I could) the Res Military Police has given considerable opportunities. (Close Protection Tasks, Competitive Shooting Events, Operational Tasks Internationaly and domestically, Tactical Rappel courses etc).

You will get out of it as much as you give.

We understand that students cannot drop what they are doing and go on tour. We appreciate that young people may have other obligations including their newly minted career.

The commitments are exactly what I said they are. Period. Full stop

Despite what posters may state on this thread - we need part time soldiers trained and ready to respond to what ever our Government decides we need to respond to.
Last edited by ResMP on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

:alright: Its all good!
Last edited by ResMP on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Edit.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:05 am

Mr. Islander wrote:Again ResMP, not trying to steal your thunder but this is a pretty standard answer.

All units realize reservists have other priorities and duties and jobs and whatever. You're expected to parade AT LEAST once a month. Read above for my opinion on that.

Usually, units will conduct training on a weekday (Thursdays seem to be popular) from usually 19:00-22:00. There is also at least one weekend exercise/event per month. Realistically, there is 2-3. (Exercises, courses, certification/training, ceremonial events.)

I have absolutely no issues with wanting to attend parade nights every week (have been with the cadet program for 16 years, so weekly parades and weekends I am no stranger to) however, I don't know if my employer is willing to let me go for 4 hours every week (3 for the parade night, 1 or more for transport from work to Dennison and back). I do have a meeting with my employer today to discuss the issue. Unless they change my schedule to accommodate....but I don't see that happening haha

As for going overseas/domestic deployments, if my country needs me and I have a job to come back to...which I will find out at this meeting...then sign me up. Good to go.
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Also there is the Canadian Forces Liaison Counsel that will work with your employer on your behalf.