Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun May 05, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:04 pm

recceguy wrote:BUT yourself and 48 have to look at it from the point of view of the lower level guys in the combat arms. The Ptes and quite a few Cpls have no tours and they basically joined the army for the sole purpose of going overseas.
Good for them, but going Regs is not a guarantee of that, never has been, never will be. With 9 battalions, and everyone wanting to go, it stands to reason, depending when that pte gets posted to a battalion, that battalion may not be slated a tour for several years.

Once they are in they are told that their battlegroup spot has been given to a reserve Pte. because NDHQ has stated that that's how it is. Said reserve Pte. shows up at the unit and turns out to be a complete retard. Unit attempts to RTU him as he is not competent enough to properly function overseas. Unit is told too bad, and ALL reservists that were sent here WILL deploy if they DAG green. Fast forward year or so and said Pte. (now a Cpl) screws up and three people are wounded. Yes I know this is an individual case, and obviously there are plugs in the reg force as well.....but at least had this idiot been a reg force member the unit could have punted his ass off tour within hours. When guys see people like that being allowed to go overseas when they can't it's quite demoralizing.
So you are trying to stretch a single example to make your point? I know reservists who got punted from my tour, hell I got medically RTU'ed the first time I tried in 2004 (needed surgery). Which leads me to think the CofC didn't try hard enough, or want to go through all the admin.

48's statement pretty much solidified why most reg force guys do not like reservists. The statement that "I don't want to live in Petawawa, or Shilo etc. and I don't want to sign away 5 years of my life to do menial tasks like sweep, look at lockers etc." You think we do? The attitude of "I want tours (and the $30k that goes along with it) but I don't want to leave the GTA or do boring tasks" is EXACTLY why I have the attitude I do towards the reserves.
Nice so you completely ignore the rest of what I said to suit your own purpose. I won't bother restating, since I hate repeating myself. If you are bitter, because you made a mistake in choosing the RegF, that's your problem to live with.

Mr Islander, you asked "are reservists somehow not as qualified as a reg force member?" Bluntly....no they are not. BMQ, battle school etc etc. are all shortened versions of their reg force counterparts. So no, reservists are not as well trained as reg force members and if reservists try and argue that they are kidding themselves.

Yeah trade courses are longer, but who is kidding themselves here on training competency here? Your own statements contradict themselves. You admit alot of battalion life is boring as hell and comprised of menial tasks. I keep in regular contact with a few guys from my regiment that made the switch. They go on exercise maybe once per quarter for about a week maybe two (if they are lucky and their battalion is the "standby" battalion they get to do a month long ex)......yeah....so much more training :roll: which is precisely why EVERYONE goes through a workup period prior to going over.

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:11 pm

ResMP- I know in the infantry we have the 'Force 2013' plan coming in which will see a deliberate augmentation process of reservists to RegF highr eadiness battalions- Roto 0 deployments will be pretty much all regs based on who Managed Readiness has on deck, but Roto 1 and subsequently will be specifically building two reservists into each rifle section, a reservist section in recce platoon, and reserve augmentation within a number of the sub-sub units; the intent being that the RegF battalions can operate more leanly outside of deployment, then bolster numbers when it's High Readiness time and a tour is expected. I believe that keeping a steady rotation of reservists through regF battalions will also have a long term strategic impact of sustaining the noticeably higher basic competency that we've built now that so many of us have come back form Kandahar. This is being formalized to the point of specific reserve regiments having linkages to specific RegF rifle companies that we are to BPT augment.

Is there anything similar to this envisioned within the MP world? The deliberate institutionalization in the infantry of what came to be that case in Kanadahar seems like the smart way to do it... I'm curious to see if any other branches/trades are going that way.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Starting to sound like a Police/CBSA thing in here.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:12 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Starting to sound like a Police/CBSA thing in here.

A little more complicated and longstanding. Basically the whole issue of how to integrate and utilize the Reserve (Militia) has been going on since Confederation. Our army was structured from the start to be a small cadre of full time professionals augmented in times of crisis and war by the militia (which is why there are more reserve units than reg). This worked in WW1 and 2 but afterwards while the base structure has remained, the role of the regular army has changed from small cadre to active in the world at large on a more regular basis, than its size realistically allows especially over the last 20 years in Bosnia and Afghanistan. There have been a couple of attempts at better integration and training (the 10/90 battalions of the late 80s early 90's being the biggest and most recent examples in terms of the Infantry Battalions).

The young troops in the battalions and elsewhere can be all bitter and pissed off about what they perceive as reservists "stealing" their positions, and not having to put up with same BS they do (which I already alluded is not entirely true, reservists put up with different BS when going on Roto), but they aren't looking at the big picture, and realizing we still need x amount of RegF pers available in Canada to fill all the known and unknown tasks both domestically and abroad. As an example in 2010, 3 TF's were involved in Afghanistan (3-09, 1-10, 3-10) thats approximate 9000 pers. There was the 2010 games in Vancouver, the G20 in Toronto, I think there might have been a DART mission in there, closing down mirage, having a standby TF for every Afghan task force, providing personnel to training establishments, you get the point.
Last edited by 48highlander on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm

If I sign up, I know full well I have the chance to be deployed.

Like things in Policing you may not want to do.

It was in the brochure when you signed up.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 pm

brihard wrote:Image

ResMP- I know in the infantry we have the 'Force 2013' plan coming in which will see a deliberate augmentation process of reservists to RegF highr eadiness battalions- Roto 0 deployments will be pretty much all regs based on who Managed Readiness has on deck, but Roto 1 and subsequently will be specifically building two reservists into each rifle section, a reservist section in recce platoon, and reserve augmentation within a number of the sub-sub units; the intent being that the RegF battalions can operate more leanly outside of deployment, then bolster numbers when it's High Readiness time and a tour is expected. I believe that keeping a steady rotation of reservists through regF battalions will also have a long term strategic impact of sustaining the noticeably higher basic competency that we've built now that so many of us have come back form Kandahar. This is being formalized to the point of specific reserve regiments having linkages to specific RegF rifle companies that we are to BPT augment.

Is there anything similar to this envisioned within the MP world? The deliberate institutionalization in the infantry of what came to be that case in Kanadahar seems like the smart way to do it... I'm curious to see if any other branches/trades are going that way.

I am not sure that they are moving they way you describe the Infantry is.

From my perspective and the conversations I had with higher. This is my opinion:

I believe the Regular Force is moving to a position where they want to capitalize on the potential of their Reservists.

recceguy brings up a point in an earlier post that there is no positions for Reg Force MPs on tours. I am thinking that part of the issue is that they cannot replace the badge carrying regular force member with the reservist because the reservist is not trained to that standard. A cycle begins here. "I wanna go on tour but don't badge the Reserves, I can't go on tour because reserves are not badged. The Reserves the go on tour because the NDA gives them some semblance of police authority (Carry a pistol and power of arrest). The MP Branch likely needs the investigative experience in theater but they have no one qualified to fill the holes left back home.

Remember, anyone can arrest for a quarrel fray or disorder. That means the only thing a Reservist may not be able to do is conduct a moderate to serous investigation. Any soldier can arrest for a quarrel fray or disorder. In my view this makes it easier to deploy a reservist to conduct policing duties abroad then to conduct policing duties at home.

As I mentioned earlier the first class of "Badgable" Reserve MPs graduated about a week ago (In Law Enforcement we call this a clue). Considering this, it is safe to say that the Branch intends to employ reservists in policing roles.

To answer your question: From what I am seeing the MP Branch is merely trying to use their reservists to their greatest potential. If a reserve member has the character, morale attributes etc. to make a good police officer why not train them and employ them as such.

Afghanistan show cased the potential of or Reserve Force. I am speculating that it no doubt pointed to some of the areas where the Reserve force can be improved.

I see our Armed Forces as a living breathing entity that is in constant change. The Military Police Branch is simply moving to become more efficient by utilizing its reserve force anyway it can.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Great to hear I live in western canada and have a military background how do I sign up??
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 am

Start with your local recruiting centre. Make your intent clear that you want go MP. They may not have been made aware of the changes just yet but word will come down the pipe soon. Let me know if you run in to any obstacles. I look forward to meeting you.

Jason

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 pm

ResMP wrote:
brihard wrote:Image

To answer your question: From what I am seeing the MP Branch is merely trying to use their reservists to their greatest potential. If a reserve member has the character, morale attributes etc. to make a good police officer why not train them and employ them as such.

Afghanistan show cased the potential of or Reserve Force. I am speculating that it no doubt pointed to some of the areas where the Reserve force can be improved.

I see our Armed Forces as a living breathing entity that is in constant change. The Military Police Branch is simply moving to become more efficient by utilizing its reserve force anyway it can.

Good stuff, thanks man. I always like to keep on top of the direction other arms of the military are going. Here's hoping this experiment works out for you.

RichardCarr
Rookie Member

Postby RichardCarr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am

What if the person wanting to join doesn't have a university degree and can't afford to go to university (due to having to work/not enough money).

ChrisD
Rookie Member

Postby ChrisD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm

A university degree is only required if you want to be a commissioned officer. To join as an NCM you do not need a university degree.
Chris

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:40 pm

RichardCarr wrote:What if the person wanting to join doesn't have a university degree and can't afford to go to university (due to having to work/not enough money).

Answer above is 100% true.

Need I remind you the Reg Force pretty much pays all of your schooling, while the Reserves pay around 2 grand a year.

GoWings
Rookie Member

Postby GoWings » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 pm

ResMP wrote::offtopic: How about we get back to the task at hand ... Who wants to join the Military Police Reserve - Question to me! :wave:

Didn't know this existed. Will be looking into it tonight.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:
RichardCarr wrote:What if the person wanting to join doesn't have a university degree and can't afford to go to university (due to having to work/not enough money).

Answer above is 100% true.

Need I remind you the Reg Force pretty much pays all of your schooling, while the Reserves pay around 2 grand a year.

With conditions applied.

A reservist can be reimbursed up to $2000 per year, for 4 years, totalling no more than half of eligible tuition, books, and fees per year, for a lifetime maximum of $8k. There is no carryover of residual amounts, and it must be towards a single approved diploma or degree program.

I came within $0.90 of maxing out my entitlement (yes, the clerk was that meticulous). It's better than a kick in the nuts for sure.

The Regular Force has different plans for paying for education of officers and non-commissioned members. But that's a broader subject- I won't go there unless anyone else draws the thread that way; there's already enough of my army reserve recruiter slipping out in this reply.