Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
watchdog137
Rookie Member

Re: Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby watchdog137 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

48highlander wrote:
watchdog137 wrote:The beauty of being a reservist is that you can pick and choose the position that you want overseas

Really?? :ponder: news to me, I guess I actually had choice in what job I wanted to do, and what camps I got sent to. I wonder if anyone else on my tour knew about this, and just didn't let me in on the secret.

I'm just speaking from my own experience from speaking with the reservists on my tour that's all.
I know the sacrifices that anyone who wears the uniform makes. Not matter what component. Also, reserves was some of the most fun I've ever had, not to mention they pitched in for college.
PS I'm thinking we were on the same tour????

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:40 pm

So what area of Ontario does all of this cover?

In September 2009 I applied to the Reserves via the Square One Office in Mississauga.

My intent was to do either Infantry, but Im old, or MP since the transition would be easier. I was offered more so Intel because of my investigative background.

I still think of Reserves regularly, and with my new position, this could be something I actually get to do.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

48highlander wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:If there was ever a way to get some aging-but-still active, highly-experienced firearms trainer overseas, I would go in a heartbeat.

These guys are legit and had contracts with the Canadian Government (and other nations) for camp security functions while I was overseas.

http://www.hartsecurity.com/
http://www.tundra-security.com/

8)

Tundra has a good name. They have an office in Toronto, so I may just pop by. Delusions of fortune!
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

watchdog137
Rookie Member

Postby watchdog137 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:47 pm

A.T.R. wrote:So what area of Ontario does all of this cover?

In September 2009 I applied to the Reserves via the Square One Office in Mississauga.

My intent was to do either Infantry, but Im old, or MP since the transition would be easier. I was offered more so Intel because of my investigative background.

I still think of Reserves regularly, and with my new position, this could be something I actually get to do.

You should do it. Infantry or MP you'll have a blast.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm

I would have to defer to 2 MP Regt for residents in Ontario. I have been led to believe that Reserve MP Units are looking for applicants nation wide. I would suggest making contact specifically with the MP Units in your respective areas. If you run in to troubles shoot me an e-mail (listed in my first post) and I will see to it that you are at least put through to those in the know in 2 MP Regt.

Good luck! The Reserve world has been extremely good to me. I hope that you have the same experience.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm

ResMP wrote:
recceguy wrote:This bullshit of getting reservists qualified to be full badge carrying sworn in police officers is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I am hoping and praying it doesn't go forward as it's going to cause nothing but problems. I can see a CANFORGEN coming down that X amount of MP's working garrison duty will have to be reservists. This will cause reg force MP's to get all the shitty postings because reservists can pick and choose where they go and what taskings they want.

When Afghanistan was going on I watched more than a few Reg force members of all trades not be able to get tours because Johnny Reservist woke up and went "Hey! I want to go fight, make good money, get a medal and not have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do when I get home."

Sorry boys and girls, but in my opinion if you want tours, or in the case of MP's, do real police work. Then join the Reg force or fuck off.

I told myself I was going to stay out of this one as I know a lot of reservists are on this forum and I'm sure your nice guys.......but I just find myself unable to hold my tongue.

Every large military in the world has a Reserve Force. It is common knowledge that a competent professional military rely on its reservists for a variety of roles. Joining the regular force does have its benefits (I can help you do that to!). There is a significant number of Reserve MPs across the country that "do the job" as they are employed as civilian police officers. Others find themselves conducting their civilian lives in other capacities.

recceguy - mentioning Afghanistan and and speaking of reservists in a derogatory tone in the same post is not on. I stood on 12 Ramp Ceremonies during my tour many of which were for reservists. Last time I checked our Reservists were leaving their families,jobs,friends and serving and sometimes dying right beside our Regular Force Brothers and sisters. I respectfully request that you edit your post.

My hat goes off to any soldier Reg or Res that pays the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Nope I won't be editing anything. Don't twist my words to somehow make it sound like I said a reservist killed in action is somehow not as sad, valuable, or honourable as a reg force member.

If you had read what I said you would see that I don't agree with someone who just says hey I want to goto Afghanistan getting a spot on tour over someone who wanted to goto Afghanistan and essentially gave up their life and joined the Reg force.

The purpose of reserves is to supplement the reg force and fill holes we can not fill with a regular member. If you can't fill a spot on tour with someone then by all means, open it to reservists and fill your boots. If there are more than enough reg force members who not only can, but are willing/wanting to go overseas.......why give the spot to a reservist? If someone in the reserves is that gung ho about serving their country overseas....why didn't they join the reg force?

Like I said....I'm not slagging individuals.....but the system is flawed.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 pm

recceguy wrote:If you had read what I said you would see that I don't agree with someone who just says hey I want to goto Afghanistan
getting a spot on tour over someone who wanted to goto Afghanistan and essentially gave up their life and joined the Reg force.
You think every Reservist, is a single person living at home, working at McDonalds? Plenty of reservists give up aspects of their life to go on tour, its not as simple as you think it is. Students have to make arrangements with their schools (who may not exactly be supportive of the CF), other have to arrange extended leave from their jobs, sometimes very lucrative and stable jobs. And prior to 2008/9 there was no job protection legislation in place, so the guys that went had no guarantee they had their old job waiting for them. The first contract for Infantry and Armoured is 3 years. Some of the Roto's (TF 3-08 comes to mind here in Ontario) had a combined work up period and deployment that was just shy of 3 years. So the reservists on that tour gave up almost the exact same amount of time in their lives that some of the shiny brand new kids out of St. Jean did.

The purpose of reserves is to supplement the reg force and fill holes we can not fill with a regular member. If you can't fill a spot on tour with someone then by all means, open it to reservists and fill your boots. If there are more than enough reg force members who not only can, but are willing/wanting to go overseas.......why give the spot to a reservist?

Well when you are a general you can make the call yourself. But perhaps their are other more intrinsic big picture reasons, like ensuring RegF personnel don't get burned out with multiple deployments, ensuring the institutional knowledge that comes with deployment is spread across the CF so everyone is working at similar levels. Maybe like I alluded to before its a personal thing even if the individual involved doesn't want to admit it. No Reservist (at least at the pte/cpl-mcpl level) has a guaranteed position, and work up training is one giant tryout session.

If someone in the reserves is that gung ho about serving their country overseas....why didn't they join the reg force?

They have a stable well paying job civy side, and don't want to live in some podunk town like Petawawa or Shilo? Because one of the roles of the Reserve is to augment the RegF when asked, which is precisely what they are doing. Because the idea of doing basically nothing all day except for watching lockers, sweeping floors, and other menial tasks 5 days a week, inbetween the odd quarterly exercise, would drive most people up the wall with boredom. Because being RegF is no guarantee of getting deployed, especially in that first 3 year contract, so you could wind up doing the whole contract and never leave Canada.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Nope I won't be editing anything. Don't twist my words to somehow make it sound like I said a reservist killed in action is somehow not as sad, valuable, or honourable as a reg force member.

If you had read what I said you would see that I don't agree with someone who just says hey I want to goto Afghanistan getting a spot on tour over someone who wanted to goto Afghanistan and essentially gave up their life and joined the Reg force.

The purpose of reserves is to supplement the reg force and fill holes we can not fill with a regular member. If you can't fill a spot on tour with someone then by all means, open it to reservists and fill your boots. If there are more than enough reg force members who not only can, but are willing/wanting to go overseas.......why give the spot to a reservist? If someone in the reserves is that gung ho about serving their country overseas....why didn't they join the reg force?
[/quote]

Fair enough, that is your opinion. It is sad that you choose to use vulgarities on a public forum. Remember it is the MP Command Staff that makes it this way.

The military has come a long way in working with its Reserve Force to allow them to integrate with the Reg Force. One only has to look to Afghanistan for those successes. Many Reservist were successful in leadership roles. The only way that this experience can be passed on in the first place is if Reservists are given opportunities in advance (and they are).

Also Military Commanders are mindful of the additional attributes that Reservists bring to the table. How nice would it by to have a carpenter or an electrician in your isolated Patrol Base????

Civilian Police Officers who were also Army Reservists and had a police intelligence back ground were put in key positions to support the fight. Maybe they saved some Canadian lives. Who knows maybe they saved yours.

To quickly dismiss Reserve Military Police because they take away your opportunities is self centered.

The Regular Force commands the Reserve Force. The Regular Force made it this way. Your post specifically infers that Reserve Force gets more opportunity than the Regular Force. That is a plug for my recruiting initiative ... for that I say thanks.

If YOU think that the Reservists have an easy time of it. We should talk further on a different thread. Your average Reservist works 40 hours a day( work or school) and then fulfills his Military Obligations (Courses, Ex, Parade Night) at the Sacrifice of his free time and family. In a different forum I would like to describe to the legal process (Lawyers and all) that I had to go through to keep my civilian job when I returned from tour. BTW my going on tour allowed a Regular Force member to stay home as he had already been twice. For the sole reason that you do not want Reserve Soldiers to be badged means that when you want to go on tour ... there is no one to replace you in your guard house ... so you can't go. The Chain of Command has no choice but send reservists in non-policing roles abroad because the Regular Force MPs are difficult to replace due to lack of manpower. Thankfully this is changing. The Military Police Branch has instituted measures so that Reservists can meet Reg Force Qual and subsequently replace them as well as work beside them. The MP Branch see past your short sightedness and will likely garner YOU opportunities that will require you to be replaced.

Your post is vulgar, unfair, self centered and short sighted.

Get to know us Reservists, we ain't that bad and we don't bite.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Mr. Islander wrote: Not everyone can sign on the line to basically hand their life over to the government for 3-5+ years.

Not everyone wants to either, depending on the trade, RegF life isn't all that its cracked up to be, there are also the long term (10-20 years down the road) implications of decisions. Not everyone will get promoted through the ranks, or get the experience and courses that will let them retire/leave the CF and find a decent job civy side. Surprisingly some people actually do think about these long term possibilities. And given the increasing amount of specialized education and experience to land even some entry level positions, the choice between going RegF for the long term or Reserve is one that shouldn't be made lightly.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:45 pm

:offtopic: How about we get back to the task at hand ... Who wants to join the Military Police Reserve - Question to me! :wave:

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I gotta look at this again before I turn 40.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 pm

ResMP I will agree with you on one thing. Because Reg force MP's (for the most part) focus almost strictly on standard policing, the reserve MP's are better suited for deployments to warzones as it is their bread and butter. I will also concede that at the Snr. NCO/Officer ranks, having reservists overseas greatly helped alleviate the workloads/burnout as at these levels most have multiple rotations.

BUT yourself and 48 have to look at it from the point of view of the lower level guys in the combat arms. The Ptes and quite a few Cpls have no tours and they basically joined the army for the sole purpose of going overseas. Once they are in they are told that their battlegroup spot has been given to a reserve Pte. because NDHQ has stated that that's how it is. Said reserve Pte. shows up at the unit and turns out to be a complete retard. Unit attempts to RTU him as he is not competent enough to properly function overseas. Unit is told too bad, and ALL reservists that were sent here WILL deploy if they DAG green. Fast forward year or so and said Pte. (now a Cpl) screws up and three people are wounded. Yes I know this is an individual case, and obviously there are plugs in the reg force as well.....but at least had this idiot been a reg force member the unit could have punted his ass off tour within hours. When guys see people like that being allowed to go overseas when they can't it's quite demoralizing.

48's statement pretty much solidified why most reg force guys do not like reservists. The statement that "I don't want to live in Petawawa, or Shilo etc. and I don't want to sign away 5 years of my life to do menial tasks like sweep, look at lockers etc." You think we do? The attitude of "I want tours (and the $30k that goes along with it) but I don't want to leave the GTA or do boring tasks" is EXACTLY why I have the attitude I do towards the reserves.

Mr Islander, you asked "are reservists somehow not as qualified as a reg force member?" Bluntly....no they are not. BMQ, battle school etc etc. are all shortened versions of their reg force counterparts. So no, reservists are not as well trained as reg force members and if reservists try and argue that they are kidding themselves. That said....I am a very big believer that our reserves should have the exact same level of training and equipment as the reg force. It's a shame that we cannot afford to have our reserves outfitted with LAV's etc. and have them receive the same level of training as I think it would greatly increase our military capabilites and allow a lot of valuable training to take place that, as of now, we do not have the capabilities to.

ResMP....I have hijacked your thread enough, and I apologize for the cussing earlier.....it was not warranted or needed. You are doing your job I will not interfere anymore with this thread.

A.T.R....you aren't getting younger. Life is too short to look back and say "I wish I had done this or that."
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 pm

A.T.R. wrote:I gotta look at this again before I turn 40.

ATR, some of our most successful members are in your age range. They come in with significant life experience and maturity. One or our go to MCpl's is a retired police officer who decided that he still has a life to live. We all look up to him. He cleans up on his courses and recently came back from tour in which he was spoken very highly of. I am very proud to have him on our team!

Leadership is not in rank that you wear it is how you present yourself.

Shoot me an email (see first post) if you want to talk further.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

To everyone else,

Thanks for all the e-mails and questions. Please get the word out if you know anyone that is interested. I am taking off for a couple of days to the mountains for a little RnR.

In the event you would like to post your questions I will be back in a couple of days.

Also you can e-mail me at the address in the first post.

Hope to hear from you soon.