Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
watchdog137
Rookie Member

Re: Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby watchdog137 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:02 am

Matt_YRP wrote:Do you have to go overseas with the reserves, or can you stay within different bases in Canada?

You don't HAVE to go overseas. For some reservists it's just not a viable option at that time of their life. Totally understandable. Some contribution is better than none. With that said, there is the mindset that you should be prepared to deploy if push comes to shove. If you don't intend to deploy why are you training? ?
A couple years ago, it was to the point where Reg guys were begging for a tour (especially Air Wings) and getting turned down because our trade would not have been able to sustain operations in Canada, as well as our responsibilities overseas... In that sense, reserve guys helped our trade stay afloat. We were running 2 per shift instead of the necessary 4 at my last Det. This could all change now that POMLT is done and we've changed roles.
The beauty of being a reservist is that you can pick and choose the position that you want overseas, and you will get promoted faster than in the Regs. When Reg guys get sent, it's oh guess what you're doing Tashnob's for 9 months and doing lost ID/ kit reports in camp - forced to take what you can get if you want to deploy. If you become a badge carrying member as a reservist, I've seen it where you can again, say yes or no to a posting.
Either way, you're going to do and see things that 99% of the Canadian population don't. Both good and bad. The experiences and opportunities are incredible, and it's a perfect way to see if you want to sign that scary 5 year contract 88)

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 am

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 am

watchdog137 wrote:
Matt_YRP wrote:Do you have to go overseas with the reserves, or can you stay within different bases in Canada?

The beauty of being a reservist is that you can pick and choose the position that you want overseas, and you will get promoted faster than in the Regs.

What you call "beauty" I call a problem
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

CrimeDoesntPay

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 am

Inspir wrote:ResMP,

Maybe you can clarify for me, but I was under the impression that the reserve military police have changed its recruiting standard to those of the regular force military police. eg: police foundation diploma. Has this changed or did I hear wrong?

Thanks

I was wondering this myself. Last time I looked into Res MP a couple years back (2 MP Pl in Toronto) I was told that because I didn't have Police Foundations I could not apply. Has this changed?
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 am

Maybe you can clarify for me, but I was under the impression that the reserve military police have changed its recruiting standard to those of the regular force military police. eg: police foundation diploma. Has this changed or did I hear wrong?

Thanks

It has very recently changed. Ottawa has announced the changes and will distributing that info soonest. We are trying to get head of the game by trying to get people in the process as soon as we can.

ResMP
Rookie Member

The Application Process

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am

The Application Process should look like this:

1. Move through the general military recruiting process. Make your intent clear that you are applying for the Reserve Military Police.

2. Your application is forwarded to 1 MP Regt (for Western Applicants)

3. Take part in the Military Police Assessment Center

4. Successful MPAC candidates will be sworn in.

5. Commence Basic Training, then driver training, and then Military Police Qualification Training.

6. At this point you are eligible to conduct MP related duties

7. Continue taking courses with a view to advance your career and garner other opportunities (Close Protection, Promotion, Tours etc.)

It is our intent to have members that apply now to be qualified MPs by 1 Sept 2013. This is dependent on the applicants personal circumstances as well the opportunity to take the required courses. If you are serious about applying I suggest you do so sooner than later so as set your self up for success.

As I mentioned earlier, like any other agency you may want to work for, or you presently work for, what you put in, is what you get out. Period.

1 MP Regt is somewhat flexible in that we know our members have other commitments. We ask that you parade at least once a month. Those that parade more will gain more exposure to training and subsequently become more proficient.

I have been in the Reserve Military Police for 21 years. I have never seen more opportunity for our members as there is right now. Reserve Military Police members are now commanded by the Regular Force. This allows for access to training, mentorship, taskings and tours. We truly do work together. While there is still some separation with respect to training and assigned roles, it narrows every year.
Last edited by ResMP on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Re: The Application Process

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

I will be unavailable the next couple of days. If you have any questions pls post them and I will reply soonest or contact me via e-mail jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca
Thanks
Last edited by ResMP on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roofus
Rookie Member

Postby Roofus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:38 am

ResMP wrote:

Thanks

It has very recently changed. Ottawa has announced the changes and will distributing that info soonest. We are trying to get head of the game by trying to get people in the process as soon as we can.

Are Reservists being loaded on Reg force QL3 course (full 6 months) or is it still the Res 6 week (approx) QL3?

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 am

At this point Reservists are being loaded on Reserve courses first. Qualified Res MP's must be put forward by their respective chain of command to attend Regular Force QL3.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 am

This bullshit of getting reservists qualified to be full badge carrying sworn in police officers is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I am hoping and praying it doesn't go forward as it's going to cause nothing but problems. I can see a CANFORGEN coming down that X amount of MP's working garrison duty will have to be reservists. This will cause reg force MP's to get all the shitty postings because reservists can pick and choose where they go and what taskings they want.

When Afghanistan was going on I watched more than a few Reg force members of all trades not be able to get tours because Johnny Reservist woke up and went "Hey! I want to go fight, make good money, get a medal and not have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do when I get home."

Sorry boys and girls, but in my opinion if you want tours, or in the case of MP's, do real police work. Then join the Reg force or fuck off.

I told myself I was going to stay out of this one as I know a lot of reservists are on this forum and I'm sure your nice guys.......but I just find myself unable to hold my tongue.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

watchdog137
Rookie Member

Postby watchdog137 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 am

What you call "beauty" I call a problem[/quote]

Don't get me wrong - I agree 100%. It really grinds my gears actually. I was just trying to inform possible recruits the most diplomatic way possible, while avoiding the frustrated reg force mp vs reservist mp debate.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 pm

recceguy wrote:This bullshit of getting reservists qualified to be full badge carrying sworn in police officers is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I am hoping and praying it doesn't go forward as it's going to cause nothing but problems. I can see a CANFORGEN coming down that X amount of MP's working garrison duty will have to be reservists. This will cause reg force MP's to get all the shitty postings because reservists can pick and choose where they go and what taskings they want.

When Afghanistan was going on I watched more than a few Reg force members of all trades not be able to get tours because Johnny Reservist woke up and went "Hey! I want to go fight, make good money, get a medal and not have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do when I get home."

Sorry boys and girls, but in my opinion if you want tours, or in the case of MP's, do real police work. Then join the Reg force or fuck off.

I told myself I was going to stay out of this one as I know a lot of reservists are on this forum and I'm sure your nice guys.......but I just find myself unable to hold my tongue.

Every large military in the world has a Reserve Force. It is common knowledge that a competent professional military rely on its reservists for a variety of roles. Joining the regular force does have its benefits (I can help you do that to!). There is a significant number of Reserve MPs across the country that "do the job" as they are employed as civilian police officers. Others find themselves conducting their civilian lives in other capacities.

recceguy - mentioning Afghanistan and and speaking of reservists in a derogatory tone in the same post is not on. I stood on 12 Ramp Ceremonies during my tour many of which were for reservists. Last time I checked our Reservists were leaving their families,jobs,friends and serving and sometimes dying right beside our Regular Force Brothers and sisters. I respectfully request that you edit your post.

My hat goes off to any soldier Reg or Res that pays the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm

.... and that has truly been my experience. As competent soldier is a competent soldier. Competent soldiers respect other competent soldiers. Those who have something to hide point fingers.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:10 pm

watchdog137 wrote:The beauty of being a reservist is that you can pick and choose the position that you want overseas

Really?? :ponder: news to me, I guess I actually had choice in what job I wanted to do, and what camps I got sent to. I wonder if anyone else on my tour knew about this, and just didn't let me in on the secret.

recceguy wrote:When Afghanistan was going on I watched more than a few Reg force members of all trades not be able to get tours because Johnny Reservist woke up and went "Hey! I want to go fight, make good money, get a medal and not have to go anywhere or do anything I don't want to do when I get home."

Your comments are out of line. People WAY ABOVE our paygrades are the ones who decide the manning, and where that manpower is going to come from. Will a pte/cpl who has zero tours be a little chaffed, that a reservist is filling a billet, they believe they could fill? Sure they will, but who's to a say they were ever going to fill that billet. There were some positions, that despite you proposition you would be very hard pressed to get a RegF infantry soldier to fill because they aren't "high speed enough" Force Protection, PSS, CIMIC.

As far as what happens when we come home, many of us put careers, education on hold (willingly), some of us didn't have jobs to come back to, or a support network like you would find in area like Petawawa. I have been back for 21 months, and despite sending out resumes almost constantly, the only meaningful employment I have gotten is a couple of short term Class B contracts (and yes I did put in CT, and have had to amend it as SIP's change).

At the end of the day, if a RegF person is bitter, they didn't get picked up for a tour, but the Reservist did (and its not an automatic thing for us), they should honestly reflect on why that happened. Perhaps they aren't/weren't as good at their job as they think they are, and instead of blaming the someone else they should look at the guy in the mirror.