The truth about the RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
johnq

The truth about the RCMP

Postby johnq » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Are there any current/recently retired members who are willing to share their experiences with the RCMP as an organisation. We've all heard the negative news stories and even scattered posts around this site talking about why the RCMP is not a good employer. There are also many people who are very proud to serve in the RCMP and have positive experiences to share.

Not looking for a flame war, just hoping for some frank talk from those members, if any, would be willing to share, since so many of the applicants on this site are hoping to get into the RCMP. Like I said, there are snippits all over the forums but it would nice to have this type of info all in one place.

Cheers folks

Transitpopo

Re: The truth about the RCMP

Postby Transitpopo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Are you sure you want to hear what is coming next?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

johnq

Postby johnq » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

To agree with what has been said above, didn't create this thread as a place for people to bash their supervisors or in any way defame the service. Just a place to provide current/recently retired members an opportunity to share as much or as little of their experience as they deem appropriate with potential/current applicants to give them a taste of whats goes on beyond the recruiting videos. I feel like many users on this site would be/should be interested in this topic.

go_leafs_go

Postby go_leafs_go » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm

VanSmack wrote:For every thirty seconds of exciting and enticing recruiting video put in about 35+ hours of boring/mundane/unremarkable days, or dealing with people who don't appreciate or deserve the lengths you are willing to go to to help them.

That's probably as specific as anyone's going to give you, sorry.

Not to mention the paper work haha.... mountains of paperwork.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:11 am

Mr. Islander wrote:It's not hard to find opinions on the RCMP... just read around the site, lots and lots of posts/threads.

*Cough* PHRM *Cough*

Sometimes those are ill opinions.
Just saying.

+1 to VanSmack.
Another one to mack_...
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 am

At the end of the day, no job out there.....not one, will give a person 100% satisfaction every day. There are so many things in 'every' job that can tick you off at some point, that it's really pointless to say, 'This Job' (RCMP) and start listing.

Everyone handles job issues different, and what one finds intolerable and crappy, another breezes through.

Important job criteria: Check attitude at door, do your job, expect flack from Upper brass at any given time. Expect flack from the public you are serving and protecting at any given time. Tuck into your vest the tiny bits of compliment and support you'll receive by whoever and bring it out when any of the above happens.

RCMP land is no different than any other police service in terms of good and bad publicity. If you really need a 'list' to compare and learn about the bad stuff, IMO, you're not ready to apply (if this list is supposed to help you decide which way to go)
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby ArcticCop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Kopparoo2b wrote:
RCMP land is no different than any other police service in terms of good and bad publicity
. If you really need a 'list' to compare and learn about the bad stuff, IMO, you're not ready to apply (if this list is supposed to help you decide which way to go)

So youre a member of the RCMP? Youll notice the RCMP members arent saying anything in this thread- their silence should say alot about whats going on in the RCMP right now.
"Arctic sounds to me like hes a long time hardened cop. A cop and an outdated one at that"
- Shocktech88

johnq

Postby johnq » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 pm

ArcticCop wrote:So youre a member of the RCMP? Youll notice the RCMP members arent saying anything in this thread- their silence should say alot about whats going on in the RCMP right now.

This is what worries me. As an applicant who is actually quite a ways into the process and trying to choose between this an another great career option, I'm worried that all the RCMP officers on this forum are electing to follow the old axiom "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Maybe to ask the question in a more positive way, "what are the advantages of a career in the RCMP, what do you love/like about your job?"

Painkiller
Seasoned Member

Postby Painkiller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm

johnq wrote:Are there any current/recently retired members who are willing to share their experiences with the RCMP as an organisation. We've all heard the negative news stories and even scattered posts around this site talking about why the RCMP is not a good employer. There are also many people who are very proud to serve in the RCMP and have positive experiences to share.

Not looking for a flame war, just hoping for some frank talk from those members, if any, would be willing to share, since so many of the applicants on this site are hoping to get into the RCMP. Like I said, there are snippits all over the forums but it would nice to have this type of info all in one place.

Cheers folks

This is what I will tell you...... I regret not leaving the RCMP amd "badging over" to a municipal Police Service when I had the chance. Biggest mistake of my career.
Painkiller

---------------------
Proud Member of the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada
Join Now - www.mppac.ca

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:07 am

Painkiller wrote:This is what I will tell you...... I regret not leaving the RCMP amd "badging over" to a municipal Police Service when I had the chance. Biggest mistake of my career.

x2

I thought about that yesterday. BIG mistake on my part too.