Mississauga MLEO

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
chuckee17
Rookie Member

Mississauga MLEO

Postby chuckee17 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Municipal Law Enforcement Officer

Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Civil Service, Law Enforcement
Industry: Government
Year(s) of Experience: 3
Number Of Positions: 1
Date Posted: May 24, 2012

As Canada’s sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 734,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 63 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is one of Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers for 2010. Enhancing its citizens’ quality of life by providing superior services, revitalizing its infrastructure and conserving the environment, Mississauga is committed to innovation, operational excellence and fiscal responsibility which is reflected in its motto: “Leading Today for Tomorrow.”

TRANSPORTATION & WORKS DEPARTMENT
ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
COMPLIANCE AND LICENSING ENFORCEMENT SECTION
requires a

MUNICIPAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER

JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
Graduate of Law and Security/Police Foundations/Municipal Law Enforcement/Public Investigation or other Enforcement related program at a Community College
3-5 years experience in municipal by-law enforcement preferred
Working knowledge of municipal by-laws is required
Eligibility for obtaining or certification as a Property Standards Officer is required
Excellent oral communication skills essential with demonstrated ability to resolve disputes in a manner which supports our client driven integrated service delivery mandate
Demonstrated ability to work productively with members of the public, external agencies, elected officials and other city staff; tact and diplomacy to competently handle confrontational situations
Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as support a team approach in the unit, use sound judgement and make appropriate business decisions
Computer literacy required, demonstrated administrative skills including excellent writing ability to prepare detailed activity reports, internal and external correspondence
Experience in presenting evidence in court is required
Must provide own car to perform duties and hold a valid Ontario Driver’s licence with an excellent driving record
Must be willing to work varied shift schedules within the City
A clear criminal record certificate will also be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The successful candidate will take direction from one of two Supervisors, depending on the area of their assignment, and be responsible for:
Ensuring compliance with all applicable municipal by-laws, including the Business Licensing By-law, by investigating complaints, inspecting properties and, when necessary taking actions to bring violations into conformity
Receives and investigates complaints and inquires relating to by-laws
Directly responds to all Ward Councillor complaints and work with the area councillor to solve issues within the Ward
Conduct inspections and prepare follow up reports as required
Conduct routine inspections of properties within an assignment area to enforce provisions of municipal by-laws
Issue Notices of Contravention, Orders and Violation letters when necessary. Conduct follow-up inspections and prepare reports relating to Notices of Contravention, Orders and Violation letters issued
Prepare, issue and swear to information and summonses and appear in court as required;
Prepare a variety of reports, general correspondence and documentation relating to inspections conducted and complaints received
Communicate information to external agencies, business associations and general public on by-law related issues
Liaise with other city staff on by-law related issues
Conduct special projects and reviews of by-laws and operational procedures and prepare reports recommending areas for improvement
Assist at the Compliance and Licensing counter in providing quality customer service to applicants
Assist in educational training of external employees/college students including site inspections
Perform other related duties as assigned.
SALARY: $61,820 - $82,428

A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.

goaliegibson

Re: Mississauga MLEO

Postby goaliegibson » Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 pm

nice salary

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sat May 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Over paid

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Apollo, its a very dangerous job... give em a break! :thumbsup:

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon May 28, 2012 7:11 pm

I'll be applying, it's not my dream job by any stretch, but that salary is pretty attractive.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Ya for sure but they'll give it to their corporate security guys

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Do they have Segways? I'd pay to see Remi riding one of those and issuing tickets! :P

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm surprised you remember what I look like..... yer memory has kinda gone downhill since yer 300th birthday :P
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Steve Underwood
Rookie Member

Postby Steve Underwood » Tue May 29, 2012 1:52 am

Must provide own car to perform duties

Interesting. I used my own car for a summer by-law job years ago, and it was a pain then.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue May 29, 2012 11:15 am

RemingtonSteel wrote:I'm surprised you remember what I look like..... yer memory has kinda gone downhill since yer 300th birthday :P

....nothing wrong with my remembery.........hell, hitting 300 was only just getting to middle aged! Image
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

TackleberryOnDuty
Rookie Member

Postby TackleberryOnDuty » Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 pm

chuckee17 wrote:Must be willing to work varied shift schedules within the City

Does anybody know the shift schedules for this type of position in Mississauga?

Also....

Any details on this? Do you start on the low end and eventually move up and top out at the $82k. If so, how long does it take to get there?

Many thanks.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Way over paid. Disgraceful actually.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Bonvoyage012
Rookie Member

Postby Bonvoyage012 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:35 pm

TackleberryOnDuty wrote:

Any details on this? Do you start on the low end and eventually move up and top out at the $82k. If so, how long does it take to get there?
Many thanks.

Called the HR number 905 896 5035. They prompt you to leave a message in the general mailbox to have the call returned; didn't really feel like wasting their time with having to return the call for the salary query as they might be busy with other hirings.

I would think that the salary range is not based on the experience level since they didn't indicate that on the posting. It probably is a gradual increase over 3-4 years (unofficial probationary period) since the difference between the base and the top out salary is approximately 10 bucks an hour - 61,820 works out to be approx. $29.72 and 82,428 as approx. $39.62; assuming the stat pay and other variables remain unchanged with seniority.

JennyRN
Rookie Member

Postby JennyRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 am

More than nurses make again :roll: seriously how f**ked up is that??

D_2222
Rookie Member

Postby D_2222 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 am

"I would think that the salary range is not based on the experience level since they didn't indicate that on the posting. It probably is a gradual increase over 3-4 years (unofficial probationary period) since the difference between the base and the top out salary is approximately 10 bucks an hour - 61,820 works out to be approx. $29.72 and 82,428 as approx. $39.62; assuming the stat pay and other variables remain unchanged with seniority"

This is not a unionized position, you start at the bottom of the pay grade and increase yearly based on cost of living and performance reviews