Can police officers be business owners as well?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mhandles
Rookie Member

Can police officers be business owners as well?

Postby mhandles » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 pm

It sounds a little bit of stupid question, however, I have friends working for the public sector who can't be owners of certain kinds of business. This is primarily due to conflicting interests. An employee at CRA for example, can't be a partner at an accounting firm.

I'm actively pursuing a career in policing, but I also have an interest in operating a security company as well. Would I need to sell off the stake I have in that business if hired as a police officer, or would I be able to maintain ownership, or have some kind of a stake as an investor?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me out with any kind of information .

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: Can police officers be business owners as well?

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I was considering a career change (not currently in policing) and had the same question - outside work or business ownership is at the discretion of the chief (it can't interfere with your police work - i.e., hours, needing to be involved 24/7, etc.) but I have to think security is a clear conflict of interest.
I'm sure someone with first-hand knowledge will reply, but this should be common sense.

JK_X
Rookie Member

Postby JK_X » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm

I have asked this question, I currently manage a family business. The answers I got said I was in the clear because it wasn't a conflict of interest (It's a meat plant), however I was told security company is a conflict of interest since Police Services can have contracts to provide security, and you being in the security business could "poach" the client. I'm not an acting officer, but like I said, that's what I was told, but I'm sure someone who has more knowledge can and will post here...and just in case someone else was thinking it, I'll be the first...

"Apply and find out"

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 pm

It really is going to be different depending on which service your applying to. I am friends with a member of the Saskatoon Police. Their service requires you to have written permission from the Chief. His business is landscaping which does not have any type of conflict with his law enforcement career. They allowed him to continue his business on the side. A security company I could see being a conflict. I know many services that have policy against having a second job or position of authority.
Police Constable

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Soon2BRCMP wrote:It really is going to be different depending on which service your applying to. I am friends with a member of the Saskatoon Police. Their service requires you to have written permission from the Chief. His business is landscaping which does not have any type of conflict with his law enforcement career. They allowed him to continue his business on the side. A security company I could see being a conflict. I know many services that have policy against having a second job or position of authority.

Would your buddy be a traffic member by chance?
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 pm

HTP wrote:
Soon2BRCMP wrote:It really is going to be different depending on which service your applying to. I am friends with a member of the Saskatoon Police. Their service requires you to have written permission from the Chief. His business is landscaping which does not have any type of conflict with his law enforcement career. They allowed him to continue his business on the side. A security company I could see being a conflict. I know many services that have policy against having a second job or position of authority.

Would your buddy be a traffic member by chance?

He is a detention Sgt.
Police Constable

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 pm

mhandles wrote:It sounds a little bit of stupid question, however, I have friends working for the public sector who can't be owners of certain kinds of business. This is primarily due to conflicting interests. An employee at CRA for example, can't be a partner at an accounting firm.

I'm actively pursuing a career in policing, but I also have an interest in operating a security company as well. Would I need to sell off the stake I have in that business if hired as a police officer, or would I be able to maintain ownership, or have some kind of a stake as an investor?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me out with any kind of information .

In Qc, it is against the province's police act.
POLICE OFFICER

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:28 am

polarbear wrote:
mhandles wrote:It sounds a little bit of stupid question, however, I have friends working for the public sector who can't be owners of certain kinds of business. This is primarily due to conflicting interests. An employee at CRA for example, can't be a partner at an accounting firm.

So not only the worst paid in the country but to throw salt on the wound they cut them off from that too? Wow.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 am

Madeline236 wrote:
polarbear wrote:

So not only the worst paid in the country but to throw salt on the wound they cut them off from that too? Wow.

I was talking specifically about the security industry. I am a volunteer FF, and it is allowed under the police act, as long as I advise my police Director, and that he sees no conflict of interest.
POLICE OFFICER