Hello everybody from a new member, I am starting my Journey!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
geekoncall
Rookie Member

Hello everybody from a new member, I am starting my Journey!

Postby geekoncall » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello to all forum members. Just found this great informative forum today (luckily ). Let me say thanks a million to every participant of this forum for their valuable contribution.

I'am starting my journey towards "hope to one day" Police man. I am landed immigrant, for 1 year being here in Toronto. I have bachelor degree in Computer Science and 32 years old, I speak couple of languages English (Of course), Spanish, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu etc. I know its late but being a Police man was my dream since my 20th but I never able to make it. So finally, I am here to start the process to try my luck as well as my abilities to see if I am a good fit.

I have gone through all information provided and different police websites in ON as well as couple of other preparation websites, where they offer sample courses etc, I need some expert advises from my seniors as I believe success could never achieve alone, so please help me to choose right point of start.

1- I have found couple of online website where they offer preparation materials for all steps involved in getting O.A.C.P (PATI, WCP,PREP).

Now, its looks like all of above sites claiming almost same thing, best values, updated material, guaranteed etc.
If someone has experience wit any of above service or has better understanding (of course), please help me to choose the right one.

2- Is there any preparation center/academy/particular place in GTA or near around where they provide a practical course toward preparation of O.A.C.P? ( apart from police foundations as I have read they gonna take 2 years).

3- Any good book recommendation, hints, tips that will help me to prepare would be highly highly appreciated.

I am very thankful every body who is reading my post, and to those who will reply into this post, thanks a million in advance. I am now member of this family and I will keep posting/updating my step by step experience for the sake of new applicants after me. I wish you good luck and all the best to all of those who are almost there to achieving their dreams or those or are yet to start like me. Looking forward for your valuable inputs. God bless you.

Cheers!
Last edited by Dave Brown on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links to commercial organizations removed.

tryndamere
Rookie Member

Re: Hello everybody from a new member, I am starting my Jour

Postby tryndamere » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:22 pm

I am in the same boat except I have been here much longer and younger. I did get the impression that if you an speak more than just "English" and you are an ethnic minority, you will have some "advantage" during the hiring process provided that you pass all the tests.

As for the studying material, I just go online find as many sample questions as possible and do them. It is very expensive to get certified, roughly $500 for First Aid, CPR C and OACP( if you pass on first try).

I am looking forward to booking my OACP test soon, aiming for early May in Thornhill. Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear on test day? My plan is to wear a hoodie and jogging pants, I don't see a point of wearing a suit for the written test because I am not going there to impress people administering the tests, I am going there to pass the tests.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 am

tryndamere wrote:I am in the same boat except I have been here much longer and younger. I did get the impression that if you an speak more than just "English" and you are an ethnic minority, you will have some "advantage" during the hiring process provided that you pass all the tests...Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear on test day? My plan is to wear a hoodie and jogging pants...

Why on earth should you enjoy an advantage over applicants who speak "just English" and are not considered to be part of an ethnic minority? Furthermore as a police applicant you should be mature enough to know how to dress. It kills me to know that some people might actually end up carrying a badge and a gun but don't have any life skills. If you don't get any helpful suggestions here, maybe phone your Mom and she can tell you what to wear. Who knows, maybe she can pack you a nutritious lunch to make the shuttle run a little easier.

God help Canada.

geekoncall
Rookie Member

Postby geekoncall » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 am

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 am

geekoncall wrote:I apologize SIR but that was so rude of you which clearly shows your attitude. Above poster just gave his/her opinion, knowing more then one language is always consider as an advantage " Did I say preference? ". If you go OPP website...

It's not rude of me at all and if you think I have an attitude then so be it. I'm entitled to an opinion, as are you and the other poster. To be clear the other poster wrote:

tryndamere wrote:I did get the impression that if you an speak more than just "English" and you are an ethnic minority, you will have some "advantage" during the hiring process provided that you pass all the tests.

You will note Tryndamere was not solely referring to candidates who speak multiple languages. He was referring to the possibility of preferential treatment being given to those candidates who speak multiple languages AND who are ethnic minorities. That method of selection is, in my opinion, clearly flawed and outright racist. Reverse that post and imagine for a second a poster coming on to this website saying 'I hear bilingual Caucasians have an advantage over other applicants in the competition process.' Such a poster would be crucified and labeled a racist - but Tryndamere gets away with it because of our hypersensitive, politically correct society and spineless politicians who think it's alright to favour one group over another. Another thing, just because something shows up on a police recruiting website doesn't make it right. As a former Ontario taxpayer, it infuriates me to see them continue to push this crap.

Sure, speaking multiple languages is an advantage, but some of those people are as useless as tits on a bull. They read, write and speak just about every language EXCEPT having a functional grasp of English and/or French. If an applicants skill level is weak then guess who's going to have to pick up the slack? Some overworked Constable will end up having to do his or her own work plus the work of a colleague who lacks those skills. But they fell into the 'preferred applicant group' so everyone's supposed to shrug it off and accept it.

Employers need to hire based on merit and candidates like Tryndamere need to stop taking advantage of a flawed process.

TheCanadian
Veteran Member

Postby TheCanadian » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am

Wow CBR that was good. This issue really ticks me off as I am a young white male. Getting a job with government is very difficult. Almost all the applications say "equity preference" which is a nice way of saying if your a white male then we don't want you. A human rights commissioner was explaining employment equity and when asked what he would tell someone with better qualifications that lost a job to someone with lesser qualifications but a visible minority, he said he would suggest they increase their qualifications to make them so qualified that the government could not pass up on hiring them. What total BS.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

Such is life. I look at it this way.....it's not going to change so why waste time bitching about it.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

gswptp
Rookie Member

Postby gswptp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 pm

tryndamere wrote:. Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear on test day? My plan is to wear a hoodie and jogging pants, I don't see a point of wearing a suit for the written test because I am not going there to impress people administering the tests, I am going there to pass the tests.

Suit and tie

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm

tryndamere wrote:I am looking forward to booking my OACP test soon, aiming for early May in Thornhill. Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear on test day? My plan is to wear a hoodie and jogging pants, I don't see a point of wearing a suit for the written test because I am not going there to impress people administering the tests, I am going there to pass the tests.

Why would you pass up the chance to look professional, by looking unprofessional?

:shock:

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm

recceguy wrote:Such is life. I look at it this way.....it's not going to change so why waste time bitching about it.

Because bitching about it is the only way to change this crap. Eventually it'll sink in.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

tryndamere
Rookie Member

Postby tryndamere » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

CBR600F4i wrote:
geekoncall wrote:I apologize SIR but that was so rude of you which clearly shows your attitude. Above poster just gave his/her opinion, knowing more then one language is always consider as an advantage " Did I say preference? ". If you go OPP website...

It's not rude of me at all and if you think I have an attitude then so be it. I'm entitled to an opinion, as are you and the other poster. To be clear the other poster wrote:

tryndamere wrote:I did get the impression that if you an speak more than just "English" and you are an ethnic minority, you will have some "advantage" during the hiring process provided that you pass all the tests.

You will note Tryndamere was not solely referring to candidates who speak multiple languages. He was referring to the possibility of preferential treatment being given to those candidates who speak multiple languages AND who are ethnic minorities. That method of selection is, in my opinion, clearly flawed and outright racist. Reverse that post and imagine for a second a poster coming on to this website saying 'I hear bilingual Caucasians have an advantage over other applicants in the competition process.' Such a poster would be crucified and labeled a racist - but Tryndamere gets away with it because of our hypersensitive, politically correct society and spineless politicians who think it's alright to favour one group over another. Another thing, just because something shows up on a police recruiting website doesn't make it right. As a former Ontario taxpayer, it infuriates me to see them continue to push this crap.

Sure, speaking multiple languages is an advantage, but some of those people are as useless as tits on a bull. They read, write and speak just about every language EXCEPT having a functional grasp of English and/or French. If an applicants skill level is weak then guess who's going to have to pick up the slack? Some overworked Constable will end up having to do his or her own work plus the work of a colleague who lacks those skills. But they fell into the 'preferred applicant group' so everyone's supposed to shrug it off and accept it.

Employers need to hire based on merit and candidates like Tryndamere need to stop taking advantage of a flawed process.

I didn't expect people are so rude here. From what you said, you assume people who can speak more than just English can't do shit and others have to pick up their slack. Wow, this is the best generalization I have ever seen from a people with age and maturity.

I agree with you that speaking more languages doesn't mean jack shit, but with all else being EQUAL, clearly the person that can speak more languages and is ethnic minority will be given preference during hiring not just because that person is ethnic minority but the fact that he is more competitive regardless of race. The government embraces a diverse workforce, if they always hire white constables when clearly other ethnics groups are applying and are just capable if not more capable, then that is racism, period.

What you said "I hear bilingual Caucasians have an advantage over other applicants in the competition process.'" is a flaw statement, it is not even a reverse statement of what I said. Bilingual Caucasians have the advantage if the other applicants are NOT bilingual. You failed to mention that part and therefore you statement was false and racist in nature.

I pay tax too, do you think I enjoy the BS the government does all the time? I totally agree that hiring based on merit and if we compare our merits, I will have more merits than you do, so don't even get me started. You are dwelling on the notion that ethnic minorities are incapable of doing things intended for the whites and they are taking advantage of the system because government has this preference policy. Guess what, you are so wrong. Let me tell you something, the people who immigrated here are highly educated, and often with PhDs and shit and they couldn't find a job here. Why because the government doesn't recognize their education from back home. They are forced to do shit jobs like driving a taxi and working as cleaners. Does that mean they don't know shit and they are incapable of working jobs here? NO, they are just as capable if not more capable. So take you arrogant pride and take a class in immigration and their education.

I understand the part of looking professional for a test, but for a test that doesn't pass you based on your attire? Then what's the point, and later on you have to change everything into shorts and t-shirt. I just don't like to bring all my formal clothes over and then I have no place to put them.

Lastly, I don't get why there are so many ignorant people on this forum, they contribute more to the racial flame war more than they contribute to the discussion at hand. If CBR didn't have so many assumptions and contributed positively with a constructive criticism, I would have accepted his opinion. But, it was nothing more than just blatant accusations and inciting hate.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 pm

basketcase wrote:
recceguy wrote:Such is life. I look at it this way.....it's not going to change so why waste time bitching about it.

Because bitching about it is the only way to change this crap. Eventually it'll sink in.

I guess I've just been working in the federal government long enough that I've given up on bitching about nonsense. The people who get it can't seem to change anything. The people who can change things are either too clueless or ignorant to care.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Bubbles1993

Postby Bubbles1993 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't see how speaking multiple languages wouldn't be an asset in terms of competition as long as one meets other hiring criteria.

I'm not talking about affirmative action or giving more merit to one ethic group over another. I'm just talking about speaking more then one language.

Jesus, if nothing is an advantage why strive for anything?
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:09 pm

tryndamere wrote:
CBR600F4i wrote:

I didn't expect people are so rude here. From what you said, you assume people who can speak more than just English can't do shit and others have to pick up their slack. Wow, this is the best generalization I have ever seen from a people with age and maturity.

I agree with you that speaking more languages doesn't mean jack shit, but with all else being EQUAL, clearly the person that can speak more languages and is ethnic minority will be given preference during hiring not just because that person is ethnic minority but the fact that he is more competitive regardless of race. The government embraces a diverse workforce, if they always hire white constables when clearly other ethnics groups are applying and are just capable if not more capable, then that is racism, period.

What you said "I hear bilingual Caucasians have an advantage over other applicants in the competition process.'" is a flaw statement, it is not even a reverse statement of what I said. Bilingual Caucasians have the advantage if the other applicants are NOT bilingual. You failed to mention that part and therefore you statement was false and racist in nature.

I pay tax too, do you think I enjoy the BS the government does all the time? I totally agree that hiring based on merit and if we compare our merits, I will have more merits than you do, so don't even get me started. You are dwelling on the notion that ethnic minorities are incapable of doing things intended for the whites and they are taking advantage of the system because government has this preference policy. Guess what, you are so wrong. Let me tell you something, the people who immigrated here are highly educated, and often with PhDs and shit and they couldn't find a job here. Why because the government doesn't recognize their education from back home. They are forced to do shit jobs like driving a taxi and working as cleaners. Does that mean they don't know shit and they are incapable of working jobs here? NO, they are just as capable if not more capable. So take you arrogant pride and take a class in immigration and their education.

I understand the part of looking professional for a test, but for a test that doesn't pass you based on your attire? Then what's the point, and later on you have to change everything into shorts and t-shirt. I just don't like to bring all my formal clothes over and then I have no place to put them.

Lastly, I don't get why there are so many ignorant people on this forum, they contribute more to the racial flame war more than they contribute to the discussion at hand. If CBR didn't have so many assumptions and contributed positively with a constructive criticism, I would have accepted his opinion. But, it was nothing more than just blatant accusations and inciting hate.

Easy there fella. The only thing that was said is that being an ethnic minority shouldn't be an advantage. If you and I both speak French and English, then you shouldn't get the bonus points because you come from a different ethnicity than the white guy on the block. If you think you should get the job because of that, then you're out to lunch and I'd never want to work with you. The human rights code in Ontario says that you can't dismiss an applicant because of a set number of things (age, sex, credence, ethnicity, sexuality) and I think there may be some more. But there's no way in hell we should be HIRING somebody just because they fall into a different category than the white heterosexual Christian male who's young and in shape. You need to go sit back and figure out why you want to be a cop. The way you're blasting off here just makes me think it's because you think it's a cool job and you can get in because you're a "Minority". Whatever the fuck that means nowadays.
OFFICER OF THE LAW