Mississauga Parking Enforcement...

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jim Street
King Poobah

Re: Mississauga Parking Enforcement...

Postby Jim Street » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 am

Well, my experience in "LE" is that you should be able to write and spell properly.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 am

Jim Street wrote:Well, my experience in "LE" is that you should be able to write and spell properly.

I would agree with that too.

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am

shocktech88 wrote:Soo for those of us like myself that have zero parking enforcement experience, does anyone know of a half decent private security company that operates in parking enforcement? I'd love to be able to get my hand's on a position paying 30-39$ an hour, parking enforcement or not I would take the ridicule for that kind of pay. Jenny, did you say they are still sifting through them? Was there a secondary testing requirement or e-mail that went around or are they simply just only now getting through everyone's resume?

Try any of the big contract companies - Intercon/ADT, Total Security Management, G4S, etc. If you can get into a mobile position than you may find yourself conducting parking enforcement at various sites. If you want to get into some kind of municipal LE job, you'll definitely need the experience, regardless of your education. The piece of paper may get your foot in the door for initial testing, but you're going to need some real world experience to beat out the other 1000 applicants who want that cushy job-for-life.

shocktech88
Rookie Member

Postby shocktech88 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 am

Whistler wrote:I have a BA and I think the main thing university papers taught me is how to stretch out a topic and fill pages with BS, if anything, which is the complete opposite of what you need to do with any reports and notes in LE. Four years of fun drinking though.

The only way uni education really helps you land a LE/govt job is by letting you get a foot in the door through intern-ships and summer student jobs when you are actually in school. If you didn't bother getting involved with those kind of programs you are just another guy with a fancy piece of paper which is a dime a dozen these days.

I would agree to an extent on stretching the BS with report writing, it can and does happen, however I avoided that pitfall as much as possible. I find your just asking for trouble from prof's when they check sources and references, not to mention the quality of writing. On the same topic, some of the papers I had to read from other students were just useless, improperly cited, filled with stolen material, poor topic choices, blabber filled writing, and lot's of fluff. No one is perfect and we are all guilty of this at one point or another, but I found there were common re-peat offenders. Those that avoided the BS seemed to do well, myself and a group of colleagues of mine consistently achieved higher than 85 on most assignment's and papers, mind you it's a useless mark in the end really and you graduate with the same piece of paper as the 60-65 range student.

I was well aware of the FSWEP and Internship programs. I made it for the FSWEP campaign in 2009, but ultimately had to turn down the position due to location and pay.

The degree is now considered a requirement for most Gov't career's, most HR manager's will not even consider applicant's who do not have post-secondary these day's. Second, it doe's allow more freedom and opportunity to move to a higher position later on.

shocktech88
Rookie Member

Postby shocktech88 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 am

midge wrote:
shocktech88 wrote:Soo for those of us like myself that have zero parking enforcement experience, does anyone know of a half decent private security company that operates in parking enforcement? I'd love to be able to get my hand's on a position paying 30-39$ an hour, parking enforcement or not I would take the ridicule for that kind of pay. Jenny, did you say they are still sifting through them? Was there a secondary testing requirement or e-mail that went around or are they simply just only now getting through everyone's resume?

Try any of the big contract companies - Intercon/ADT, Total Security Management, G4S, etc. If you can get into a mobile position than you may find yourself conducting parking enforcement at various sites. If you want to get into some kind of municipal LE job, you'll definitely need the experience, regardless of your education. The piece of paper may get your foot in the door for initial testing, but you're going to need some real world experience to beat out the other 1000 applicants who want that cushy job-for-life.

I was hoping to avoid such a low entry level position, but desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. Once the hiring freeze's start to wind down and the various government's start to hire again thing's will get better.

I have been told by many that G4's is the worst out of larger security companies to work for. Low pay, poor hours, boring and negative harassing manager's.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 am

Stop being so God-damned fussy and go find a job. If your debt is so high you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to pay it off here. Get off your ass and go look for a job like everybody else has. Nobody gives a shit if you're experienced in writing 95% papers. What they care about is life experience and a resume showing that you have some. From reading your posts, you have none. Lose the pride and go get a job that will help you pay your debt and go from there. Just because you have a worthless piece of paper doesn't mean the world owes you.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

shocktech88
Rookie Member

Postby shocktech88 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 am

basketcase wrote:Stop being so God-damned fussy and go find a job. If your debt is so high you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to pay it off here. Get off your ass and go look for a job like everybody else has. Nobody gives a shit if you're experienced in writing 95% papers. What they care about is life experience and a resume showing that you have some. From reading your posts, you have none. Lose the pride and go get a job that will help you pay your debt and go from there. Just because you have a worthless piece of paper doesn't mean the world owes you.

I have NEVER been on my ass as you so eagerly put it. I (like most) constantly apply for position's and I am always making connection's and researching viable option's. Second, I have a job, it's management and the pay is decent, but it's not rewarding nor doe's it offer viable enforcement related experience. Like many in this economy, I didn't have a choice. The only relevant employment available now is basic security, which as we are all aware offer's too low a salary to be able to afford to live.

When it comes to parking enforcement, such skills as customer service/interpersonal, mediation, the ability to interpret the law, and report and citation writing must all be irrelevant than right? Because I possess experience in all of the above.

Let me be perfectly clear on the "pride" portion of obtaining this so called piece of paper, it's far from high.

If you have the time to criticize, than offer a reliable outcome. I'm not the only grad in this situation, read the new's, thousand's are equally and if not more screwed then I. Where do you get the experience when the position's that offer it , in turn want it in the first place? It's a lose-lose situation.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 am

I am pretty sure it's already been explained to you but I'll run it by you again. Look inward for the solution, not outward. There's a lot more to getting a job in law enforcement than a piece of paper. I managed to get on the job with a college diploma and haven't worked a minute in any law enforcement related field besides policing. All of my experience was obtained working in the customer service/sales industry. If you articulate yourself in interviews or at work the way you do here, I'd have to say you are close to being screwed. Your expectations and the way you speak are so far out of touch with law enforcements way of doing things that you wouldn't have a hope in hell. Want the solution to the problem? Find your own way to get there. My answers won't work for you as much as Jim Street's answers won't work for Gard.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 am

basketcase wrote:I am pretty sure it's already been explained to you but I'll run it by you again. Look inward for the solution, not outward. There's a lot more to getting a job in law enforcement than a piece of paper. I managed to get on the job with a college diploma and haven't worked a minute in any law enforcement related field besides policing. All of my experience was obtained working in the customer service/sales industry. If you articulate yourself in interviews or at work the way you do here, I'd have to say you are close to being screwed. Your expectations and the way you speak are so far out of touch with law enforcements way of doing things that you wouldn't have a hope in hell. Want the solution to the problem? Find your own way to get there. My answers won't work for you as much as Jim Street's answers won't work for Gard.

+1.

And for the love of God, shocktech88, stop with the inappropriate use of the apostrophe. It's very annoying.

If you want to show you're ready for a job that requires initiative and self-management, why not just knuckle down, stick with your unfulfilling but financially rewarding "management" job (whatever that may be...) and get a SECOND job in a customer-service related area to gain experience working with the general public and to generate income to pay down your student debt. And the hourly rate is irrelevant when you're trying to gain experience.

No one owes you anything because you have a degree and can write 95% papers. If the LE guys on here don't write 100% "papers" ALL THE TIME then criminals walk out of court.

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm

shocktech88 wrote:I was hoping to avoid such a low entry level position, but desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. Once the hiring freeze's start to wind down and the various government's start to hire again thing's will get better.

I have been told by many that G4's is the worst out of larger security companies to work for. Low pay, poor hours, boring and negative harassing manager's.

LOL, well, you have to start somewhere. You are *not* going to get a municipal parking job with a piece of paper. In fact, you'll have a hard time getting anywhere. You sound like you have a strong sense of entitlement, and your attitude and expectations might not be fully in line with reality.

Don't expect these government jobs to come knocking on *your* door. There are people who have a piece of paper AND 10+ years of relevant experience applying for the same jobs as you are.

If your ultimate goal is become a cop, what's stopping you from applying now? Management experience is still experience. Police forces don't exclusively look for a security background.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 pm

midge wrote: Police forces don't exclusively look for a security background.

I wasn't aware they looked at all at a security background.

If you want to be a police officer apply to a police service. If you want to write parking tickets apply to parking jobs. One has nothing to do with the other.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

StayFrosty
Rookie Member

Postby StayFrosty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Anyone get any calls yet for testing?

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Mongo wrote:
midge wrote: Police forces don't exclusively look for a security background.

I wasn't aware they looked at all at a security background.

Alas, it's a common misconception out there.

JennyRN
Rookie Member

Postby JennyRN » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm

StayFrosty wrote:Anyone get any calls yet for testing?

Just waiting for interview call - they were still evaluating the written scenario portion last week

StayFrosty
Rookie Member

Postby StayFrosty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Why all the hostility over opinions and punctuation?

We haven't even had any formal testing yet apart from the scenario's!

:D I don't know why I'm very happy.