Guelph Police and Waterloo Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fivetool9
Rookie Member

Guelph Police and Waterloo Police

Postby fivetool9 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm starting to pursue some policing opportunities and I was wondering if anyone has much background information about the Guelph Police service. I've read through website to get a general idea of the force. I'm also intrigued by the prospect of serving in Kitchener/Waterloo.Is anyone here currently a serving member or in the application process with either of these forces?

Currently I'm serving as an auxiliary in Peel, and I was unsuccessful on my first attempt with Peel (psyche). I live in Halton region near the 401, so the 30-40 minute commute to Guelph and Waterloo is appealing. I am planning to apply to Halton, as well, but I want to keep my applications to a minimum to start off.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by fivetool9 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sydarm
Rookie Member

Re: Guelph Police and Waterloo Police

Postby sydarm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Youre an auxiliary with Peel and they denied you as a regular constable? Curious as to why this is?
EPS Out of Province
APCAT/ACT - PASSED
A-PREP - Sep 10
PDI - Sep 11
BDI - Sep 12
POLY - Sep 13
PSYCH/MED - Sep 14
BACKGROUND -
FATE -

fivetool9
Rookie Member

Postby fivetool9 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Psyche was the reason, out of their control.

I'll try again this year. I've worked hard since then to improve on the things I was faulted on. I'm also trying to keep my options open, thus gathering info on other places.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

fivetool9
Rookie Member

Postby fivetool9 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 pm

mack_silent wrote:Background information is fairly easy to get, just check out the recruiting section of Guelph and Waterloo's website.
Good luck!

Thanks. I probably should have worded my initial post a bit better. I've been reading through the websites for the forces, especially the sections about their application process. I am looking more so for personal experiences with either force, be it application process or personal work experience. I've read a few threads about Waterloo, but not too much on Guelph. This site has helped me a lot, especially when I was preparing for ATS back in December.

THanks!

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:52 am

WRPS has a wide variety of different communities in the Region - and the Service is very community minded. Busy place to work. Guelph is an excellent police service as well, the new Chief (to be) is a great guy who was a Supt. in WRPS previously. Both Services are proponents of community policing and community relationships

Also, It's Police Service, not Force.... I think Kingston is the only "Force" currently in Ontario (could be mistaken).

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 pm

AMten wrote:WRPS has a wide variety of different communities in the Region - and the Service is very community minded. Busy place to work. Guelph is an excellent police service as well, the new Chief (to be) is a great guy who was a Supt. in WRPS previously. Both Services are proponents of community policing and community relationships

Also, It's Police Service, not Force.... I think Kingston is the only "Force" currently in Ontario (could be mistaken).

It is the only Police Service in Ontario that still calls themselves the force and they are proud of it.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 pm

FedCO wrote:
AMten wrote:WRPS has a wide variety of different communities in the Region - and the Service is very community minded. Busy place to work. Guelph is an excellent police service as well, the new Chief (to be) is a great guy who was a Supt. in WRPS previously. Both Services are proponents of community policing and community relationships

It is the only Police Service in Ontario that still calls themselves the force and they are proud of it.

The OPP still does as well. And it's a pretty douchy move to correct a guy on something meaningless like that anyway (referring to AMten, not you FedCO).

Cops refer to it as 'force' all the time in the way the original poster meant it .
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 am

If he wants a job with them, he should probably call them by the right name in the interview.

fivetool9
Rookie Member

Postby fivetool9 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 am

In my very first sentence I called it the Guelph police service. I used the force slang from there in my wording to the group. But if that nitpicks you enough, let me know, I'll edit it.

Thanks for the advice you provided, nonetheless.

AMten
Rookie Member

Postby AMten » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 am

You are correct.

The service will listen to preferences of a recruit, however like any police service you go where they say.

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 am

fivetool9 wrote:I'm starting to pursue some policing opportunities and I was wondering if anyone has much background information about the Guelph Police service. I've read through website to get a general idea of the force. I'm also intrigued by the prospect of serving in Kitchener/Waterloo.Is anyone here currently a serving member or in the application process with either of these forces?

Currently I'm serving as an auxiliary in Peel, and I was unsuccessful on my first attempt with Peel (psyche). I live in Halton region near the 401, so the 30-40 minute commute to Guelph and Waterloo is appealing. I am planning to apply to Halton, as well, but I want to keep my applications to a minimum to start off.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I love Waterloo, my girlfriend went to UW and I spent a lot of time out there while I was in University.

Quick note though: You are probabally going to be waiting a year since you were unsuccessful with the MMPI-2. That result will follow you to Waterloo, Guelph and maybe even to federal services aswell.

Correct me if I am wrong with that though.

To1981
Rookie Member

Postby To1981 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 am

Peel doesn't follow the OCAP guidelines for hiring so I think he is good .

Conner4
Rookie Member

Postby Conner4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

To1981 wrote:Peel doesn't follow the OCAP guidelines for hiring so I think he is good .

unfortunatly this is one of things they have followed the OACP guidelines with. i got the "year hold" with TPS in 2010 and the first call I made was to Peel thinking the same thing. They advised me I would still have to wait a year with to apply to them