Protective Services Peace Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Elbee
Rookie Member

Re: Protective Services Officer

Postby Elbee » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Delancey 37 wrote:Every province is different, I can only speak about Alberta, the special constable program is pretty much gone here. Most places like my current work place used to be Regional Police or much smaller police forces, that was replaced by the special constable program. After that it became the current Community Peace Officer Program, as Ferg mentioned Alberta Health Services has their own. We all have to go through the CPOIP at Staff College, it is currently 6-weeks.

They have allowed a very small number of "self pay" applicants" that can go through, cost is $3,500. This does in no way guarantee any employment. The regular process is that you need to be employed by the County,City, or Village(s) before time of engagement. Every place has a different set of appointments the PO has to enforce, some places have more and some have less.

Calgary and Edmonton Transit Peace Officers are at about $82-83,000 yr, to even apply they want you to be a CPO for a few yrs with the Alberta training. AHS (Alberta Health Services) have mobile patrols also, they do pretty well also.

The thing with AHS is, they employ both CPO level 1 and level 2. Level 2's go through 2 weeks of training, their starting pay is at around $49,000/yr, they have less power with provincial statutes (CPO level 2's have the Tobacco Reduction Act, and recently got the Mental Health Act in their appointments. CPO level 1's have Gaming and Liquor Act, Mental Health Act, Trespass to Premises Act, Tobacco Reduction Act). In the AHS postings, Protective Services Officer (PSO) level 1's are the CPO II's, and the PSO Level II's are the CPO level 1's. Some fun facts about AHS Peace Officers for anyone who may be looking to apply.
Last edited by Elbee on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delancey 37
Rookie Member

Postby Delancey 37 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks for the info Elbee, on a side note almost half of the CPOIP classes are AHS recruits and Transit officers, the rest are the different County's, etc.
Pain Is Temporary, Pride Is Forever.

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:11 am

God bless Alberta. We have NOTHING like that in Ontario.

clachambre
Rookie Member

Postby clachambre » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:52 am

Speaking of Edmonton Transit, we are posting for 5 Peace Officer positions within the next few weeks. For anyone looking to apply, it's a great gig. The previously quoted salaries are not far off. I know multiple guys who have cracked the $100k mark for the last few years. OT is rampant.

anstevens
Rookie Member

Postby anstevens » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:25 pm

clachambre wrote:Speaking of Edmonton Transit, we are posting for 5 Peace Officer positions within the next few weeks. For anyone looking to apply, it's a great gig. The previously quoted salaries are not far off. I know multiple guys who have cracked the $100k mark for the last few years. OT is rampant.

Could I PM you regarding ETS Peace Officer program?

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 pm

GOT THE CALL TODAY FOR INTERVIEW FOR "PROCTECTIVE SERVICES OFFICER II "
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 am

SeleNaGOmeZ wrote:Ya it was for all of Canada. They aren't Security they are more like having an officer present instead of Security. The Officer I met carried everything except for a sidearm.

? Exact Same Post word-for-word as my previous one?

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 am

I never really understood how the CPO system worked, do you guys actually have 495 Criminal Code/CDSA authorities? I was under the impression that CPOs held by-law and a provincial offenses officer style status.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

tbell33
Rookie Member

Re: Protective Services Peace Officer

Postby tbell33 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 am

Has Anyone else put in for any of the PSPO I or II postings that had been posted from January until Current Postings? There are still a couple of postings online if you follow this link for any applicants interested!

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/SearchResults.aspx

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

How much does that gig pay anyway? Looking at the postings

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 pm

ToyCopp wrote:God bless Alberta. We have NOTHING like that in Ontario.

We have the clownshoes battalions. What more do we need??
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 pm

http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/Jobs.Edmont ... 06185.aspx

Protective Services Officer II

Position Located in
Edmonton Zone

Posting #:206185
Title:Protective Services Officer II
Category:General Support - Clinical, General Support - Non-Clinical
Type:Regular Full Time
City/Town:Edmonton
Unit/Dept:AH-Plant Security-EDM
Union:AUPE GSS
FTE:1.0
Date Posted:2012-11-24
Closed Date:2012-11-30 Time: 23:59
Position Starts:2012-12-07

Hours of Work:12
Days Off:As Per Rotation
Shift Pattern:Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Salary/Benefits:
Minimum: 29.60 per hour Maximum: 33.90 per hour

Responsibilities/Duties:
The Protective Services Officer II (CPO I) is responsible for providing security and protective services for all patients, visitors, staff and AHS property, including: monitoring, prevention and intervention of violence, enforcement of applicable federal, provincial and municipal statutes, asset loss prevention and internal investigations, preparation of court documents and securing evidence, risk assessment and hazard identification, arrests, apprehensions and detentions of persons, alarm and emergency preparedness response. The Protective Services Officer II provides support for facility departments on matters of security and safety practices, participates in reviewing and recommending policy, and fosters and maintains positive public relations through relationships with internal and external contact.

Qualifications:
Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent.
Two years post secondary education in Security, Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice preferred.
WHMIS training preferred.
Two years related security/law enforcement experience preferred.
Experience in a health care environment and experience in by-law enforcement preferred.
Must successfully attain appointment as a Community Peace Officer I by the Alberta Solicitor General and provide proof of successfully completing the P.A.R.E. within 6 months prior to commencement with Alberta Health Services.
Certificate in CPO Non-violent Crisis Intervention an asset.
Certificate in Verbal Judo
Valid First Aid certificate and valid BCLS-HCP an asset.
Pressure Point Control Tactic Certificate an asset.
Valid Class 5 non-GDL Driver's License.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Certificate in Verbal Judo

hahahahhahah
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 am