Will my current job benefit me in the future?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Urban
Rookie Member

Will my current job benefit me in the future?

Postby Urban » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 am

Many years ago I wanted to become a police officer. I fell off that track and accepted a cushy corporate job.
Fast forward to the present. I quit my corporate job and took up a job in a much different environment...
I went from Bay Street to... I won't mention where I work exactly. But it is one of the more rough/crime infested neighbourhoods in Toronto.
Would my current job as a housing administrator/property manager benefit my police application?

I work as a housing administrator in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Toronto.
I manage a non-profit building which has all subsidized tenants... The area is known for having a lot of drug users, sellers, and people with low-income and mental health issues.

My duties include
-attending to tenant complaints e.g. building maintenance, noise, and disturbances (which often times includes drug use and criminal activity). Of course we don't deal with criminal activities directly. But we do forward such information to the police.

-managing contractors, building security, and maintenance staff. Ensuring things get fixed etc...

A lot of the work is administrative... But I do work in & for a non-profit apartment building that houses all low-income and high risk tenants. All tenants are paying subsidized rent. They're either low-income or receive government assistance. I feel that what I do does benefit the community since it contributes to maintaining a building that houses people who are less fortunate.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Re: Will my current job benefit me in the future?

Postby Mongo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 am

Sure, might help a bit. There's angles you could work.

As with any job experience, it's all about how you sell it to the Man.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

PHB
King Poobah

Re: Will my current job benefit me in the future?

Postby PHB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Any job where your dealing with people will benefit you. The more messud up the better.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART