Alberta CVE hiring

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Re: Alberta CVE hiring

Postby Hattie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 pm

cplhick1968 wrote:
AHP309 wrote:Competition posted with a December 2 closing date.

Jobs@alberta.ca

Job Id 1039099 gives all the details regarding the application process.

I can assist if you have specific questions.

Will there be a written test for this competition? I could not find it written in the application.

I'm going to venture out and say there will be a written entrance exam as with the previous competition so be prepared.

Scope

Open competition

Closing Date

December 2, 2016

Classification

Sheriff, Security and Transport 2

Ministry

Justice and Solicitor General

Role

Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, Various Locations- Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in an exciting and dynamic career opportunity? Look no further! We are seeking individuals committed to a career as a Transport Officer.

Commercial Vehicle Enforcements mandate is to protect the highway infrastructure and ensure the safety of all highway users by enforcing legislation relating to commercial vehicles. In these important and visible roles, you have significant interaction with the motor transport industry. As a Transport Officer, you ensure compliance with National Safety Code requirements and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance standards through the operation of permanent and portable weigh scales and mobile patrols within a designated geographical location. You will ensure compliance with relevant provincial statutes and maintain public safety on primary highways. You conduct mechanical inspections and perform other traffic-related duties.

As a representative of the Government of Alberta your professionalism is paramount in this role. You must be prepared to work shifts, weekends, and holidays. You must be physically able to check commercial vehicles and loads for safety and mechanical fitness. Your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills will be used extensively; as you maintain daily contact with the transport industry to provide information, interpret legislation, and ensure compliance. You will also assist in the delivery of seminars to a wide array of clients and promote an active working relationship with other law enforcement agencies. Effective writing skills are essential to complete a variety of reports for various stakeholders.

Qualifications

A completed post-secondary degree, diploma, or a journeyman certification in any field. Experience in the motor transport industry and/or recent law enforcement is preferred. Eligibility for Peace Officer status is required. Standard First Aid Level C CPR is also required. Equivalencies will be considered. Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary.

Resumes MUST clearly indicate the date of graduation from all educational institutes.

If selected for an interview:

Candidates MUST successfully have the following prior to the interview date:

-Completed P.A.R.E. physical test (pass time of 4 minutes, 45 seconds or better) or need to have date and time booked to have P.A.R.E. completed prior to February 6, 2017.
-Valid non-probationary Class 5 Driver's License or equivalent license if you are applying from out-of
province is required.
-Current Driver's Abstract.
-Standard First Aid - Level C CPR
-Criminal Record Check

**Please do not send any documents with your application. If selected for an interview, you will be asked to bring the original documents.

Salary

$2,119.81 to $2,620.75 bi-weekly

Notes

Final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a security clearance and a pre-employment psychological assessment. A medical form will be provided to be completed by your doctor.

Interviews will take place in January and February, 2017. Interviews will be held in Leduc, Airdrie, and Lethbridge.

Candidates should be prepared to accept positions in any location. Interview and relocation expenses will not be granted.

Selected candidates will attend a paid 14-week training program upon commencement and must successfully complete this program to continue employment. The training program is anticipated to begin May 1, 2017 in Lethbridge. A P.A.R.E will also be conducted during the training.

NOTE ABOUT RESUMES:
For work experience, please indicate duration of employment (months and years) and specify employment status (ie. Casual, part time or full time).
For example : January 2006 - June 2009 Loss Prevention Officer PT three 8 hour shifts per week
For post-secondary education, please specify length of program and major.
For example: Bachelor of Arts, 3 year Sociology degree, date graduated.

YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS AND JOB ID MUST BE INCLUDED IN YOUR APPLICATION.
This job opening may be used to fill current and future vacancies across the Government of Alberta.

How to Apply

Please submit your resume and cover letter online quoting Job ID 1039099. Online applications are preferred. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter and resume are submitted in one file. If you are unable to apply online please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resources, 9th Floor John E. Brownlee Building, 10365-97 Street, Edmonton. If you have questions about this posting please contact Lierin Giger at 780-427-0320. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this job posting.

Closing Statement

We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.

https://www.hrextcg.alberta.ca/psc/HREXTCG_AC/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=1039099&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:02 pm

I have applied on November 23,2016. I am a student with lethbridge college. I already have a diploma in Justice studies law enforcement and just doing B of A in Justice studies through online. I was wondering has anyone received an invitation for the exam yet? One of my professors told me that the written exam is scheduled for December 13,2016. Wondering is there any way I can check the status of my application? also if I dont get an invite to this written exam will there be a later one this month? Sorry for a million questions.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:01 am

Invitations to write the exam are in progress this week.

There are many applicants to screen and invites to be made.....you have to be patient.

There is only one written exam date.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Thank You, I just got a invite to write the entrance exam.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

I just did the written test. Just wondering what is the pass percentage to move onto the interview?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:03 pm

That information is not released.

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 pm

andrew770 wrote:I just did the written test. Just wondering what is the pass percentage to move onto the interview?

You likely will never know your mark. Usually around 70-80% on our in house exams I believe..
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

Rareform
Sage Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:27 am

ShadowBrooks wrote:You likely will never know your mark. Usually around 70-80% on our in house exams I believe..

Couod be be even less, like 50-60%. Having said that, if you pass with such low marks and top-down selection is used, it could be awhile before you get an interview.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm

They will not know their mark or where they place against others.

The exam is designed to show more than just a pass/fail mark, so speculation about what percentage is required to move to the interview step is misguided.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:43 am

Okay, thanks for the comments everyone. I felt that I did good on the exam. Just quite a few questions with short answers so can't gauge how I did on those.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 am

Hi everyone, I passed the written exam and was notified a little bit ago. I was wondering if there are any tips, techniques or knowledge anyone could share to help me prepare for the interview? Thank you.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am

The role CVE plays in road safety and how they do it.

That may sound to general, but to find the answer, applicants are going to have to conduct some research. Those that are hired tend to be people that can investigate for answers, as that is what a lot of the recruit training and the job is.

andrew770
Rookie Member

Postby andrew770 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks for the information AHP309!

I was wondering does anyone know if the interviews have all been done? if so curious how many people passed the interview and are moving onto the next part? If not what is the average time frame for when people will hear back on how they did on the interview? Thanks in advance

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Interviews are done. Background checks are in progress.

The number of qualified applicants means nothing, so don't worry about it. People drop out of the process (or fail tests and background checks) for many reasons, as well, some will not take the posting offered. You just have to be patient and wait for whatever the future holds.

modi13
Rookie Member

Postby modi13 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Out of curiosity, can CVE officers perform traffic stops on private vehicles? I recently saw a CVE vehicle on the highway with its lights on, stopped behind a minivan, but I wasn't sure if they had pulled it over or if they just stopped to help someone in trouble.