Alberta CVE hiring

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
AHP309
Seasoned Member

Alberta CVE hiring

Postby AHP309 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Alberta CVE 2011 Fall Recruiting

Closing Date September 2, 2011

Classification
Sheriff, Security & Transport 1;
Sheriff, Security & Transport 2;
Sheriff, Security & Transport 3

Commercial Vehicle Enforcement's mandate is to protect the highway infrastructure and ensure the safety of all highway users. We are recruiting individuals committed to a career as a Transport Officer. In these important and visible roles, you will have significant interaction with the motor transport industry. As a Peace Officer you ensure compliance with National Safety Code requirements and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance standards through the operation of permanent and portable weigh scales and mobile patrols within a designated geographical location. You must be physically able to check commercial vehicles and loads for safety and mechanical fitness. Your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills will be used extensively, as you maintain daily contact with the transport industry to provide information, interpret legislation and ensure compliance. You will also assist in the delivery of seminars to a wide array of clients and promote an active working relationship with other agencies. Effective writing skills are essential. Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower level.

Positions in Northern locations may be eligible for the Northern Allowance or Fort McMurray Allowance, the Northern Leave Benefit, and an attraction bonus of 25% maybe available. For details, please visit: http://www.chr.alberta.ca/Practitioners ... m-pay&cf=5. See http://www.opportunitynorth.ca for further information on northern communities.

Qualifications:
Due to the multifaceted responsibilities of these positions, we are seeking individuals with varied backgrounds. Related 2 year Diploma; OR High school diploma with recent related law enforcement experience; OR Journeyman Heavy Duty Technician with recent experience related to motor transport industry. Eligibility for Peace Officer status is required. A recognized Standard CPR and First-Aid training is required. Successful completion of the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Program would be considered an asset. Candidates will be hired at the entry level of this growth class. A valid Class 5 Drivers License is also required.

All candidates invited to the interview will be required to bring with them a current driver's abstract and appropriate proof of educational requirements, including transcripts and/or certificates.

Salary
$1,702.07 to $2,574.26 bi-weekly ($44,424 to $67,188 per annum)

Notes
This competition will be used to fill current and future vacancies in various ministries throughout the Government of Alberta. Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo security screening and provide references. Successful candidates will be asked to complete medical, Physical Ability Requirement Evaluation (PARE) and behavioral testing. You can obtain additional information on the duties of a Transport Officer position at: http://www.joincveb.alberta.ca.

Successful candidates will be assigned to locations based upon operational requirements and opportunity for transfer is available during their term of employment.

How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Human Resources, Alberta Transportation, 3rd Floor, Infrastructure Building, 6950-113 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T6H 5V7. Phone: (780) 644-8068; Fax: (780) 422-5138.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Jason Rinas at: (780) 644-8068 or email at: jason.rinas@gov.ab.ca

or if you want information from someone who actually does the job...pm me.

krzysiek_1989
Rookie Member

Re: Alberta CVE hiring

Postby krzysiek_1989 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am

I received a notification for testing. I am from ontario any idea on how I can study or prepare for the test?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 pm

"or if you want information from someone who actually does the job...pm me."

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 pm

For anyone that applied and is going through the recruiting process, everything is on hold, as CVE is moved from Alberta Transportation to the Solicitor General and Public Security ministry.
(Fish & Wildlife's Enforcement Officers are moving over as well)

WATTSCO
Rookie Member

Postby WATTSCO » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 pm

AHP309 wrote:For anyone that applied and is going through the recruiting process, everything is on hold, as CVE is moved from Alberta Transportation to the Solicitor General and Public Security ministry.

Thanks for updating. The HR email left a lot to the imagination.

Out of curiosity, is this move well received amongst officers? Will CVE change much under SolGen?

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

WATTSCO wrote:
AHP309 wrote:For anyone that applied and is going through the recruiting process, everything is on hold, as CVE is moved from Alberta Transportation to the Solicitor General and Public Security ministry.

Thanks for updating. The HR email left a lot to the imagination.

Out of curiosity, is this move well received amongst officers? Will CVE change much under SolGen?

The answer to your first question will depend on the results of the second question.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:34 am

For anyone that applied and successfully completed the written exam, the recruiting process is back on with interviews to be scheduled shortly.

(and our vehicle decals now say Solicitor General & Public Security)

cyrex007
Rookie Member

Postby cyrex007 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Hello,

Since CVE has been moved to the Alberta Sol Gen, what difference is this going to be made with the job or training itself or application process.. :?:

- Lukas

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Hiring process stays the same, Recruit Training will continue in Lethbridge from May to August using CVE instructors, and at least until after the provincial election it is business as usual.

shepinsky
Rookie Member

Postby shepinsky » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 pm

So thats what happened...I had applied and was hoping to make the move over to CVEB. Then I got an email saying that the competition was on hold.

British Columbia CVSE used to be under that ministry, but we moved to the MOT a few years ago. In my opinion, CVE belongs under SolGen. Alberta CVEB being part of SolGen makes me want to go to Alberta even more!

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:40 pm

So you guys do 16 weeks of training?
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:27 am

The May - August course covers the basics, with the EVOC and CVSA courses provided at a later time.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 pm

shepinsky wrote:Alberta CVEB being part of SolGen makes me want to go to Alberta even more!

The last time we were in the Solicitor Generals department we were disbanded.

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:13 pm

AHP309 wrote:The May - August course covers the basics, with the EVOC and CVSA courses provided at a later time.

Cool, I'll be there training with the CP Police.
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Whistler
Veteran Member

Postby Whistler » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

I was called about an interview for this job 2 weeks ago fwiw... I had since started another position so I had to decline but it looks like the wheels are rolling on this hire.