Municipal vs RCMP

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: Municipal vs RCMP

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Exactly! And they do in the RCMP, and everyone takes turns so it's fair! :crazy:
OMG these people...

ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby ArcticCop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:41 pm

I liked "traveling" in the military....it loses its attractiveness by your fifth move in 4 years (RCMP)

And everyone also takes turns doing shitty posts too. So its extra fair.

LOL!!!

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 pm

ArcticCop wrote:I liked "traveling" in the military....it loses its attractiveness by your fifth move in 4 years (RCMP)

And everyone also takes turns doing shitty posts too. So its extra fair.

LOL!!!

lol x2!

Join Muni!!!

.....or OPP

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Jim Street wrote:It's true, no municipal service has any of those units.

Not only that, I don't even know what any of those things are! K9?! ERT?! Someone explain! 88) And by marine does he mean boats?! Ones that go on the water??!!!!

Forensics is like fingerprint stuff right? That sounds so cool.

Edit: I just googled "K9", apparently they have dogs who do policework now!!!! :shock:
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

I bet those dogs write a HELL of a report. Do they train the dogs with the recruits at Depot?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:09 pm

I didn't say municipal didn't have any of those services... I MEANT to come across as that you can do those services in different parts of Canada, not just the same city... I know I know, it's a tradition with the new guy here.

Sorry. :|

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

VanB wrote:I find it comical that people always coming on here aspiring to be k9, ert, forensics, etc. When those jobs make up less than 1% of the jobs being done. What ever happened to wanting to be a regular police officer?

If you're talking about me, I never said that I wanted to, nor did I say "It's soooo easy to get into them". I simply said, there is an opportunity there. As slim as it is, it is there. Again, sorry if I somehow offended any of you.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

You're not offending anyone.

People are just expressing the reality of it.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I will offer this tidbit - as an applicant, it is fine to have specialty areas in mind, and you might even be asked if there were particular areas of policing that interest you. But police officers are first and foremost generalists, and very often you will do the work you are told to do, not the work you want to do. An applicant who comes through the door saying "I want to be in Canine (or Ident, or ERT/SWAT, or Drugs)" will beg the question, what's this guy/gal gonna do when they are seven years in and haven't made Canine/Ident/SWAT/Drugs?

You MUST want to be a police officer, period. Police services aren't recruiting for dog handlers or U/C drug operators. They're recruiting well rounded people to be police officers.

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 pm

GPZ wrote:I will offer this tidbit - as an applicant, it is fine to have specialty areas in mind, and you might even be asked if there were particular areas of policing that interest you. But police officers are first and foremost generalists, and very often you will do the work you are told to do, not the work you want to do. An applicant who comes through the door saying "I want to be in Canine (or Ident, or ERT/SWAT, or Drugs)" will beg the question, what's this guy/gal gonna do when they are seven years in and haven't made Canine/Ident/SWAT/Drugs?

You MUST want to be a police officer, period. Police services aren't recruiting for dog handlers or U/C drug operators. They're recruiting well rounded people to be police officers.

I guess you didn't read my two previous posts, where I have already replied and re-instated myself to those who have replied like you have. (I now see why there are so many flame wars in this forum). But thanks for the information, even though it's been presented numerous times. :twitch: Really, thanks :).

ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby ArcticCop » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 am

You shuld concentrate on being a police officer before you start your imaginary career as a K-9 Space Ninja.

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 am

ArcticCop wrote:You shuld concentrate on being a police officer before you start your imaginary career as a K-9 Space Ninja.

Awww that's too bad, I was really hoping I could skip becoming a regular ninja and just go straight to space training :(.

Oh well.
Last edited by BornToBe on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 am

Is there a way to join and become a commissioned officer right away or do you have to put in time at a detachment?

Also, is there a career stream which allows you to advance out of patrolling sooner?

I'm thinking of applying soon and I'd like to know.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

BornToBe
Rookie Member

Postby BornToBe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

Gard wrote:Is there a way to join and become a commissioned officer right away or do you have to put in time at a detachment?

Also, is there a career stream which allows you to advance out of patrolling sooner?

I'm thinking of applying soon and I'd like to know.

You ruined it.